Newsgroups: rec.music.classical
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 01:51:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Daphnis et Chloe
From: ggggg9271@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Sun, 3 Jul 2022 08:51 UTC

On Saturday, March 31, 2001 at 1:48:25 AM UTC-8, Josh Dougherty wrote:
> I'm a relative newcomer to the true study and appreciation of classical
> music, and I am coming up on a college assignment based on Ravel's "Daphnis
> et Chloe". I was wondering if anyone could maybe point me to particular
> points of interest in the piece or any important concepts or stories
> regarding it.
> BTW....I am a musician and fairly knowledgable as far as thoery and analysis
> is concerned. I have copies of the full score as well as the vocal/piano
> reduction for it, so I would also be interested in any points of reference
> that you might have in terms of thoeretical or orchestral points of
> interest. For instance, I have already established that the 1st section
> starts in an A lydian tonality and it wanders through various non-diatonic
> modes. So, maybe some of you can point me in certain theoretical directions
> that are of particular interest.
> This is really a free-form question where I would appreciate any and all
> information in regards to what you think are important points to check out
> about the piece, or Ravel's life at the time, or the Russian ballet or
> whatever. Any books, or reference material, or even any "before or after"
> Ravel pieces that you think would help me are also appreciated. Thanks.
> Josh

(Youtube upload):

Analysis of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe

Re: Daphnis et Chloe

<f5aa9e93-ec89-4838-a96e-02f1db47fbc7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=729&group=rec.music.classical#729

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 12:54:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9271@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Sun, 3 Jul 2022 19:54 UTC

On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 1:51:24 AM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Saturday, March 31, 2001 at 1:48:25 AM UTC-8, Josh Dougherty wrote:
> > I'm a relative newcomer to the true study and appreciation of classical
> > music, and I am coming up on a college assignment based on Ravel's "Daphnis
> > et Chloe". I was wondering if anyone could maybe point me to particular
> > points of interest in the piece or any important concepts or stories
> > regarding it.
> > BTW....I am a musician and fairly knowledgable as far as thoery and analysis
> > is concerned. I have copies of the full score as well as the vocal/piano
> > reduction for it, so I would also be interested in any points of reference
> > that you might have in terms of thoeretical or orchestral points of
> > interest. For instance, I have already established that the 1st section
> > starts in an A lydian tonality and it wanders through various non-diatonic
> > modes. So, maybe some of you can point me in certain theoretical directions
> > that are of particular interest.
> > This is really a free-form question where I would appreciate any and all
> > information in regards to what you think are important points to check out
> > about the piece, or Ravel's life at the time, or the Russian ballet or
> > whatever. Any books, or reference material, or even any "before or after"
> > Ravel pieces that you think would help me are also appreciated. Thanks.
> > Josh
> (Youtube upload):
>
> Analysis of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe

(Youtube upload):

Maurice Ravel: "Daphnis et Chloé", analysis by Gerard Schwarz | Music | Khan Academy