Don't Worry, Be Happy. -- Meher Baba

arts / rec.music.dylan / Re: "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."

SubjectAuthor
* "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."W.Dockery
+* "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."Zod
|`- "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."W-Dockery
+* "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."Victor H.
|`- "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."W-Dockery
+* "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."General-Zod
|`- "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."W-Dockery
`- "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."General-Zod

1
Re: "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."

<eeb2218a2adfbf93ec10725bb9f1b512@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7336&group=rec.music.dylan#7336

From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan,alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Subject: Re: "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:29:29 +0000
References: <vnfnr3ofo8j6cb@corp.supernews.com> <bl8s3t$iqt$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk> <MPG.19f4078978eac5959897bc@news.east.earthlink.net> <leichtes-1310030927230001@ibsen> <85f6274d-a9cb-436f-9e2d-5d610a65a798@googlegroups.com> <d30a18df-648b-4c30-8f2d-749d8dcf5018@googlegroups.com> <8a149f5c-594e-4ba2-bf81-9229a8531b5a@googlegroups.com> <4e279b72-7458-4417-92c4-19f66dcdb435@googlegroups.com> <pj7rqd$2ge$1@dont-email.me> <4c381c37-c066-4a68-be08-34f3c04ecc3a@googlegroups.com> <qgmht0$999$1@dont-email.me>
 by: W.Dockery - Wed, 27 Jul 2022 21:29 UTC

"Earl Browder" wrote in message

> Will Dockery wrote:
>> "Michael Pendragon" wrote in message
>>
>> Will Dockery wrote:

>> > We can leave Dylan out for now, since you prefer it, but both Smith and
>> > Cohen were poets, published poets, long before they became involved with
>> > music:

So, Michael Pendragon and his ignorance about Leonard Cohen is long standing, one error of his that seems as uncorrectable as Jim Senetto and his apostrophe disability.

And so it goes.

https://pennyspoetry.wikia.com/wiki/Patti_Smith

> [...]

> determined to unravel the history of the "rule of thumb." Did the phrase
> stem from a specific rule? Was there such a rule? Even if there wasn't a
> rule, did an infamous judge's ruling establish "thumbstick" guidelines for
> would-be wife beaters?

> She discovered that while "rule of thumb" was not accepted law, there was
> evidence aplenty that the British legal system and the American legal system
> it inspired were unkind to women. "I found out that in the 1800s [wife
> beating] really was a debatable proposition," she says.

> Wife beating is acknowledged in Blackstone's "Commentaries," and many court
> rulings sanctioned the practice. But whether the "rule of thumb" was
> accepted as law was a separate matter.

> Fenick traced the earliest possible reference to the 17th century, when one
> Dr. Marmaduke Coghill, an Irish judge, held that a man who had beaten his
> wife "with such a switch as the one he held in his hand" was within his
> matrimonial privilege.

> In the 18th century a judge named Francis Buller, dubbed "Judge Thumb" by
> the famous caricaturist James Gillray, was said to have allowed that a man
> could beat his wife, as long as the punitive stick was no thicker than his
> thumb. (A witty countess was said to have asked the judge to measure her
> husband's thumb exactly, so that she might know the precise extent of his
> privilege.)

> Fenick also found three 19th-century cases in America that mention the "rule
> of thumb," including an 1868 ruling in North Carolina that "the defendant
> had a right to whip his wife with a switch no larger than his thumb."

> Buller's "thumbstick" opinion and the three American rulings Fenick found
> were intriguing -- and damning -- but did not constitute definitive proof
> that the rule of thumb was derived from British common law.

> As Fenick, encouraged by a law professor, considered publishing her
> findings, she found that Henry Ansgar Kelly, a University of California
> English professor, had beaten her to the punch. His "Rule of Thumb and the
> Folklaw of the Husband's Stick" appeared in the September 1994 Journal of
> Legal Education.

> Kelly, much to Fenick's disappointment, had covered the same territory as
> she. (Although she proudly observes that his article overlooked the earliest
> reference to "rule of thumb" by Coghill.) Three and half years later, Safire
> would rely entirely on Kelly's article to make his case in his column.

> Fenick's efforts were not in vain, however. In response to a query from a
> correspondent to the alt.folkore.urban newsgroup linked to the Urban Legends
> Web site, Fenick posted her article where it is now part of the site's
> permanent archives. Since its inception, the site has expanded its mission
> from probing the genesis and spread of urban legends to "confirming or
> disproving beliefs and facts of all kinds, including origin of vernacular."

Click here to read the complete article
Re: "Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan : Poetry and the Popular Song."

<5e10763dd5a013b0a629714e0b725ce1@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7352&group=rec.music.dylan#7352

From: Zod@news.novabbs.com (Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan,alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 18:37:52 +0000
References: <vnfnr3ofo8j6cb@corp.supernews.com> <bl8s3t$iqt$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk> <MPG.19f4078978eac5959897bc@news.east.earthlink.net> <leichtes-1310030927230001@ibsen> <85f6274d-a9cb-436f-9e2d-5d610a65a798@googlegroups.com> <d30a18df-648b-4c30-8f2d-749d8dcf5018@googlegroups.com> <8a149f5c-594e-4ba2-bf81-9229a8531b5a@googlegroups.com> <4e279b72-7458-4417-92c4-19f66dcdb435@googlegroups.com> <pj7rqd$2ge$1@dont-email.me> <4c381c37-c066-4a68-be08-34f3c04ecc3a@googlegroups.com> <qgmht0$999$1@dont-email.me> <eeb2218a2adfbf93ec10725bb9f1b512@news.novabbs.com>
 by: Zod - Fri, 5 Aug 2022 18:37 UTC

<2a7d5e399e3d261c316dce41ca8eaae1@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7355&group=rec.music.dylan#7355

From: parnellos.pizza@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan,alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2022 20:29:51 +0000
References: <vnfnr3ofo8j6cb@corp.supernews.com> <bl8s3t$iqt$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk> <MPG.19f4078978eac5959897bc@news.east.earthlink.net> <leichtes-1310030927230001@ibsen> <85f6274d-a9cb-436f-9e2d-5d610a65a798@googlegroups.com> <d30a18df-648b-4c30-8f2d-749d8dcf5018@googlegroups.com> <8a149f5c-594e-4ba2-bf81-9229a8531b5a@googlegroups.com> <4e279b72-7458-4417-92c4-19f66dcdb435@googlegroups.com> <pj7rqd$2ge$1@dont-email.me> <4c381c37-c066-4a68-be08-34f3c04ecc3a@googlegroups.com> <qgmht0$999$1@dont-email.me> <eeb2218a2adfbf93ec10725bb9f1b512@news.novabbs.com> <5e10763dd5a013b0a629714e0b725ce1@news.novabbs.com>
 by: W-Dockery - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 20:29 UTC

<be9d17cc23a81ad9459556288a2c6ead@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7357&group=rec.music.dylan#7357

From: vhugofan@gmail.com (Victor H.)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan,alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 21:40:25 +0000
References: <vnfnr3ofo8j6cb@corp.supernews.com> <bl8s3t$iqt$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk> <MPG.19f4078978eac5959897bc@news.east.earthlink.net> <leichtes-1310030927230001@ibsen> <85f6274d-a9cb-436f-9e2d-5d610a65a798@googlegroups.com> <d30a18df-648b-4c30-8f2d-749d8dcf5018@googlegroups.com> <8a149f5c-594e-4ba2-bf81-9229a8531b5a@googlegroups.com> <4e279b72-7458-4417-92c4-19f66dcdb435@googlegroups.com> <pj7rqd$2ge$1@dont-email.me> <4c381c37-c066-4a68-be08-34f3c04ecc3a@googlegroups.com> <qgmht0$999$1@dont-email.me> <eeb2218a2adfbf93ec10725bb9f1b512@news.novabbs.com>
 by: Victor H. - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 21:40 UTC

W.Dockery wrote:

> "Earl Browder" wrote in message

>> Will Dockery wrote:
>>> "Michael Pendragon" wrote in message

> So, Michael Pendragon and his ignorance about Leonard Cohen is long standing, one error of his that seems as uncorrectable as Jim Senetto and his apostrophe disability.

I still haven't looked up Pat Boone's 1975 hit record...

<75b4fe7e73677473a9a0d58992dbb4db@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7360&group=rec.music.dylan#7360

From: parnellos.pizza@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan,alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 09:17:56 +0000
References: <vnfnr3ofo8j6cb@corp.supernews.com> <bl8s3t$iqt$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk> <MPG.19f4078978eac5959897bc@news.east.earthlink.net> <leichtes-1310030927230001@ibsen> <85f6274d-a9cb-436f-9e2d-5d610a65a798@googlegroups.com> <d30a18df-648b-4c30-8f2d-749d8dcf5018@googlegroups.com> <8a149f5c-594e-4ba2-bf81-9229a8531b5a@googlegroups.com> <4e279b72-7458-4417-92c4-19f66dcdb435@googlegroups.com> <pj7rqd$2ge$1@dont-email.me> <4c381c37-c066-4a68-be08-34f3c04ecc3a@googlegroups.com> <qgmht0$999$1@dont-email.me> <eeb2218a2adfbf93ec10725bb9f1b512@news.novabbs.com> <be9d17cc23a81ad9459556288a2c6ead@news.novabbs.com>
 by: W-Dockery - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 09:17 UTC

Zod wrote:

> Will Dockery wrote:

>> "Earl Browder" wrote in message

>> So, Michael Pendragon and his ignorance about Leonard Cohen is long standing, one error of his that seems as uncorrectable as Jim Senetto and his apostrophe disability.

> I still haven't looked up Pat Boone's 1975 hit record...

"Indiana Girl", a pretty good song, actually.

<82bbb1b6b839473ce08f3aae53c0cda3@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7361&group=rec.music.dylan#7361

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan,alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 20:14:13 +0000
References: <vnfnr3ofo8j6cb@corp.supernews.com> <bl8s3t$iqt$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk> <MPG.19f4078978eac5959897bc@news.east.earthlink.net> <leichtes-1310030927230001@ibsen> <85f6274d-a9cb-436f-9e2d-5d610a65a798@googlegroups.com> <d30a18df-648b-4c30-8f2d-749d8dcf5018@googlegroups.com> <8a149f5c-594e-4ba2-bf81-9229a8531b5a@googlegroups.com> <4e279b72-7458-4417-92c4-19f66dcdb435@googlegroups.com> <pj7rqd$2ge$1@dont-email.me> <4c381c37-c066-4a68-be08-34f3c04ecc3a@googlegroups.com> <qgmht0$999$1@dont-email.me> <eeb2218a2adfbf93ec10725bb9f1b512@news.novabbs.com>
 by: General-Zod - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 20:14 UTC

<5fafcc2d7a3d293e1eef6a424adb0e19@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7363&group=rec.music.dylan#7363

From: parnellos.pizza@gmail.com (W-Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan,alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 15:54:08 +0000
References: <vnfnr3ofo8j6cb@corp.supernews.com> <bl8s3t$iqt$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk> <MPG.19f4078978eac5959897bc@news.east.earthlink.net> <leichtes-1310030927230001@ibsen> <85f6274d-a9cb-436f-9e2d-5d610a65a798@googlegroups.com> <d30a18df-648b-4c30-8f2d-749d8dcf5018@googlegroups.com> <8a149f5c-594e-4ba2-bf81-9229a8531b5a@googlegroups.com> <4e279b72-7458-4417-92c4-19f66dcdb435@googlegroups.com> <pj7rqd$2ge$1@dont-email.me> <4c381c37-c066-4a68-be08-34f3c04ecc3a@googlegroups.com> <qgmht0$999$1@dont-email.me> <eeb2218a2adfbf93ec10725bb9f1b512@news.novabbs.com> <82bbb1b6b839473ce08f3aae53c0cda3@news.novabbs.com>
 by: W-Dockery - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 15:54 UTC

<afe138a4d641eacdb8b0a1345346cf2d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7378&group=rec.music.dylan#7378

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan,alt.arts.poetry.comments,rec.arts.poems
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 22:32:45 +0000
References: <vnfnr3ofo8j6cb@corp.supernews.com> <bl8s3t$iqt$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk> <MPG.19f4078978eac5959897bc@news.east.earthlink.net> <leichtes-1310030927230001@ibsen> <85f6274d-a9cb-436f-9e2d-5d610a65a798@googlegroups.com> <d30a18df-648b-4c30-8f2d-749d8dcf5018@googlegroups.com> <8a149f5c-594e-4ba2-bf81-9229a8531b5a@googlegroups.com> <4e279b72-7458-4417-92c4-19f66dcdb435@googlegroups.com> <pj7rqd$2ge$1@dont-email.me> <4c381c37-c066-4a68-be08-34f3c04ecc3a@googlegroups.com> <qgmht0$999$1@dont-email.me> <eeb2218a2adfbf93ec10725bb9f1b512@news.novabbs.com>
 by: General-Zod - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 22:32 UTC

W.Dockery wrote:

> "Earl Browder" wrote in message

>> Will Dockery wrote:
>>> "Michael Pendragon" wrote in message

> So, Michael Pendragon and his ignorance about Leonard Cohen is long standing, one error of his that seems as uncorrectable as Jim Senetto and his apostrophe disability.

A shame Pen has to be so blatant in his insincerity.....