Subject: Re: Nothing but silent generation presidents from 1974 to the present
From: mummycullen@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (MummyChunk)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:14:55 +0000
 by: MummyChunk - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 19:14 UTC

> > In OTL the US presidency went directly from the GI Generation
(GHW Bush)
> > to the Boomers (Bill Clinton, GW Bush, Obama, Trump) with no
Silent
> > Generation presidents (at least so far--but two of the
front-runners for
> > the Democratic nomination would qualify!).
> >
> > I here propose a timeline where all the US presidents from 1974
onward
> > were from the "Silent Generation" (we'll use 1928 to
1945 as the birth
> > dates). I have decided to make the party identities of the
presidents the
> > same as in OTL--otherwise I could go back to 1968 and have
nothing but
> > Silent Generation presidents starting with Ted Kennedy getting
elected
> > that year!
> >
> > (1) 1974-77: Donald Rumsfeld. A surprise choice by Nixon for
vice-
> > president on Agnew's resignation; becomes POTUS on Nixon's
resignation. He
> > narrowly prevails in 1976 GOP primaries over Ronald Reagan's
challenge,
> > which weakens Rumsfeld in November.
> >
> > (2) 1977-81: Birch Bayh. As I noted last year, "his only
hope then was to
> > have the party's liberal wing (which I'll define as
"everyone to the left
> > of Carter") coalesce behind him. This did not happen; in the
New Hampshire
> > primary, he finished third, behind Carter and Udall, while
fourth-place
> > Fred Harris also undoubtedly took some votes that might otherwise
have
> > gone to Bayh. When he finished a disastrous seventh in the
Massachusetts
> > primary, his campaign was over. If Udall hadn't run, would Bayh
have had a
> > chance--perhaps as a Midwesterner he can win the Wisconsin
primary which
> > Udall narrowly lost to Carter?"
> >
> > (3) 1981-89: Phil Crane. After Reagan's surprise decision not to
run (a
> > near-assassination of Bayh in 1979 makes Nancy persuade him not
to), Crane
> > becomes the great hope of the GOP right and wins the nomination
against
> > split opposition from moderates and moderate-conservatives
(Rumsfeld,
> > Howard Baker, GHW Bush, John Anderson, etc.) Crane defeats the
unpopular
> > Bayh in November 1980 and is re-elected in 1984, after the
Federal Reserve
> > Board, confident that the recession has squeezed inflation out of
the
> > economy, eases up.
> >
> > (4) 1989-93 Jack Kemp. Crane's VP, elected POTUS in 1988. He
represents a
> > kinder and gentler version of Crane's policies (he is a bit more
open to
> > Gorbachev and helps end the Cold War). He loses popularity after
the
> > recession of the early 1990's.
> >
> > (5) 1993-2001: Mario Cuomo. In this ATL he decides to run, and as
> > representative of old-fashioned labor-liberalism defeats a split
primary
> > opposition of "new" Democrats of one sort or another
(Bill Clinton, Jerry
> > Brown, Paul Tsongas...). He defeats Kemp in November; pundits
disagree on
> > what role if any Ross Perot's third party candidacy played in the
outcome.
> > He is re-elected in 1996, largely thanks to a good economy.
> >
> > (6) 2001-2009: John McCain. (Remember that the Bush family is far
less
> > influential in this ATL.) Narrowly defeats Cuomo's VP Al Gore in
November
> > 2000, re-elected in 2004.
> >
> > (7) 2009-2017: Joe Biden. (In this ATL Carol Mosely Braun has
decided to
> > run for her old Senate seat in 2004, so Barack Obama does not
run. The
> > Clintons are of course hardly known outside Arkansas.) Wins in
November
> > 2008 largely because of economic collapse; subsequent recovery is
just
> > enough to allow him to be re-elected in 2012.
> >
> > (8) 2017-present: Rudy Giuliani (in this ATL he finally
"evolves" on
> > abortion sufficiently to win religious conservatives over. Some
big
> > terrorist attack that was narrowly foiled in OTL makes terrorism
the big
> > issue again.)
> >
> > And the current Democratic frontrunners in this ATL are Paul
Wellstone
> > (who didn't die in a plane crash in 2002...) and John Kerry!
> >
> > (I realize that from (7) on we may be dealing with current
politics, which
> > I generally try to avoid here, but I don't think most of this
post can be
> > so classified.)
> >

> > --
> > David Tenner
> > dtenner@ameritech.net
> David Tenner wrote:
>

> The inauguration of Rudolph William Louis Giuliani as the 45th
President of the United States - January 20, 2017 - President
Giuliani

Giulliani as President. That photo and the thought are scary.

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=514095490#514095490

Re: Nothing but silent generation presidents from 1974 to the present

<unpmg6$rqa$2@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7443&group=alt.history.what-if#7443

From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:27:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:27 UTC

MummyChunk <mummycullen@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:

> > > In OTL the US presidency went directly from the GI Generation
> (GHW Bush)
> > > to the Boomers (Bill Clinton, GW Bush, Obama, Trump) with no
> Silent
> > > Generation presidents (at least so far--but two of the
> front-runners for
> > > the Democratic nomination would qualify!).
> > >
> > > I here propose a timeline where all the US presidents from 1974
> onward
> > > were from the "Silent Generation" (we'll use 1928 to
> 1945 as the birth
> > > dates).

Strauss and Howe,who coined the term,used 1925 to 1942,
though they are in a minority on starting the Boom early.

(Using 1928 as a starter would mean that the LDS Church has
not had a Silent generation president YET,since their 2008-18
president was born in 1927 and was succeeded by the incumbent
who turns 100 in September 2024,the heir apparent was born 1932).

> > > I have decided to make the party identities of the
> presidents the
> > > same as in OTL--otherwise I could go back to 1968 and have
> nothing but
> > > Silent Generation presidents starting with Ted Kennedy getting
> elected
> > > that year!

That assumption means that the personalities chosen make
no difference to the party moods of the country?

> This is a response to the post seen at:
> http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=514095490#514095490

-=-=-