Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 17:55:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Bob and Zappa
From: williamgwilliams@gmail.com (Willie)
 by: Willie - Sat, 22 Oct 2022 00:55 UTC

A fellow at rec.music.beatles, who doesn't think much of Bob, methinks, posted this link, saying to listen to the Dylan part, starting at around 1:20:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKE3ZLj7_V8

I thought the YouTube comment by "skelet3n" was very interesting:

--------------------------------------
Bob Dylan was name-checked on the cover of "Freak Out!" (1966) under the heading "These People Have Contributed Materially In Many Ways To Make Our Music What It Is. Please Do Not Hold It Against Them".

"Dylan's 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' was a monster record. I heard that thing and I was jumping all over the car. And then when I heard the one after that, 'Like a Rolling Stone', I wanted to quit the music business, because I felt: 'If this wins and it does what it's supposed to do, I don't need to do anything else', but it didn't do anything. It sold; but nobody responded to it the way that they should have. (...) It didn't happen right away, and I was a little disappointed. I figured, 'Well, shit, maybe it needs a little reinforcing." - Frank Kofsky interviews FZ, 1968)

"As for Dylan, 'Highway 61 Revisited' was really good. Then we got 'Blonde on Blonde' and it started to sound like cowboy music, and you know what I think of cowboy music." - Playboy-interview (1993)

Bob Dylan visited FZ on December 22, 1982, showing up at FZ's door, in the freezing cold, to play some songs on the piano; he asks FZ if he would produce an album (what turned out to be "Infidels") for him. Dylan did not get in touch with FZ after that; "Infidels" was produced by Bob Dylan & Mark Knopfler and released in 1983.

"Flakes", a song on FZ's Sheik Yerbouti album, contains a Dylan parody, with guitarist Adrian Belew doing the Dylan "voice". FZ asks in the background, "Wanna buy some Mandies, Bob?". Mandies is slang for no longer manufactured British Methaqualone based tablets Mandrax which were similar to Quaaludes.
A subsequent commentator writes: "Adrian Belew was the inspiration. Ed Mann was the guy who actually performed it on the Shiek Yer Bouti album."

I wasn't sure what Frank meant by, after hearing LaRS, "If this wins and it does what it's supposed to do, I don't need to do anything else', but it didn't do anything." Does that mean he could just drop music, 'cause Dylan brought it to some kind of apotheosis? And what does he then mean by "a little reinforcing"?

Also, I'd like to learn more about the meeting where Bob takes the Infidels songs to him, hoping he'll produce them. That would have been a quite interesting album, had he done it.

Re: Bob and Zappa

<8a881d1a-f73e-4c68-844e-f2a960c4cf6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7485&group=rec.music.dylan#7485

Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 14:53:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Bob and Zappa
From: will.dockery@gmail.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 21:53 UTC

On Friday, October 21, 2022 at 8:55:37 PM UTC-4, Willie wrote:

> A fellow at rec.music.beatles, who doesn't think much of Bob, methinks, posted this link, saying to listen to the Dylan part, starting at around 1:20:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKE3ZLj7_V8
>
> I thought the YouTube comment by "skelet3n" was very interesting:
>
> --------------------------------------
> Bob Dylan was name-checked on the cover of "Freak Out!" (1966) under the heading "These People Have Contributed Materially In Many Ways To Make Our Music What It Is. Please Do Not Hold It Against Them".
>
> "Dylan's 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' was a monster record. I heard that thing and I was jumping all over the car. And then when I heard the one after that, 'Like a Rolling Stone', I wanted to quit the music business, because I felt: 'If this wins and it does what it's supposed to do, I don't need to do anything else', but it didn't do anything. It sold; but nobody responded to it the way that they should have. (...) It didn't happen right away, and I was a little disappointed. I figured, 'Well, shit, maybe it needs a little reinforcing." - Frank Kofsky interviews FZ, 1968)
>
> "As for Dylan, 'Highway 61 Revisited' was really good. Then we got 'Blonde on Blonde' and it started to sound like cowboy music, and you know what I think of cowboy music." - Playboy-interview (1993)
>
> Bob Dylan visited FZ on December 22, 1982, showing up at FZ's door, in the freezing cold, to play some songs on the piano; he asks FZ if he would produce an album (what turned out to be "Infidels") for him. Dylan did not get in touch with FZ after that; "Infidels" was produced by Bob Dylan & Mark Knopfler and released in 1983.
>
> "Flakes", a song on FZ's Sheik Yerbouti album, contains a Dylan parody, with guitarist Adrian Belew doing the Dylan "voice". FZ asks in the background, "Wanna buy some Mandies, Bob?". Mandies is slang for no longer manufactured British Methaqualone based tablets Mandrax which were similar to Quaaludes.
> A subsequent commentator writes: "Adrian Belew was the inspiration. Ed Mann was the guy who actually performed it on the Shiek Yer Bouti album."
>
> I wasn't sure what Frank meant by, after hearing LaRS, "If this wins and it does what it's supposed to do, I don't need to do anything else', but it didn't do anything." Does that mean he could just drop music, 'cause Dylan brought it to some kind of apotheosis? And what does he then mean by "a little reinforcing"?
>
> Also, I'd like to learn more about the meeting where Bob takes the Infidels songs to him, hoping he'll produce them. That would have been a quite interesting album, had he done it.

I know, but Bob Dylan actually showed up at Frank Zappa's house... and wanted Zappa to produce "Infidels".

I kid you not.

Re: Bob and Zappa

<2dd3d32f-2d44-4c8a-ae4f-f0ea3f3a3e1an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7486&group=rec.music.dylan#7486

Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 15:05:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: goldarachel@gmail.com (Rachel)
 by: Rachel - Mon, 24 Oct 2022 22:05 UTC

On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 2:53:03 PM UTC-7, will.d...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, October 21, 2022 at 8:55:37 PM UTC-4, Willie wrote:
> >
> > A fellow at rec.music.beatles, who doesn't think much of Bob, methinks, posted this link, saying to listen to the Dylan part, starting at around 1:20:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKE3ZLj7_V8
> >
> > I thought the YouTube comment by "skelet3n" was very interesting:
> >
> > --------------------------------------
> > Bob Dylan was name-checked on the cover of "Freak Out!" (1966) under the heading "These People Have Contributed Materially In Many Ways To Make Our Music What It Is. Please Do Not Hold It Against Them".
> >
> > "Dylan's 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' was a monster record. I heard that thing and I was jumping all over the car. And then when I heard the one after that, 'Like a Rolling Stone', I wanted to quit the music business, because I felt: 'If this wins and it does what it's supposed to do, I don't need to do anything else', but it didn't do anything. It sold; but nobody responded to it the way that they should have. (...) It didn't happen right away, and I was a little disappointed. I figured, 'Well, shit, maybe it needs a little reinforcing." - Frank Kofsky interviews FZ, 1968)
> >
> > "As for Dylan, 'Highway 61 Revisited' was really good. Then we got 'Blonde on Blonde' and it started to sound like cowboy music, and you know what I think of cowboy music." - Playboy-interview (1993)
> >
> > Bob Dylan visited FZ on December 22, 1982, showing up at FZ's door, in the freezing cold, to play some songs on the piano; he asks FZ if he would produce an album (what turned out to be "Infidels") for him. Dylan did not get in touch with FZ after that; "Infidels" was produced by Bob Dylan & Mark Knopfler and released in 1983.
> >
> > "Flakes", a song on FZ's Sheik Yerbouti album, contains a Dylan parody, with guitarist Adrian Belew doing the Dylan "voice". FZ asks in the background, "Wanna buy some Mandies, Bob?". Mandies is slang for no longer manufactured British Methaqualone based tablets Mandrax which were similar to Quaaludes.
> > A subsequent commentator writes: "Adrian Belew was the inspiration. Ed Mann was the guy who actually performed it on the Shiek Yer Bouti album."
> >
> > I wasn't sure what Frank meant by, after hearing LaRS, "If this wins and it does what it's supposed to do, I don't need to do anything else', but it didn't do anything." Does that mean he could just drop music, 'cause Dylan brought it to some kind of apotheosis? And what does he then mean by "a little reinforcing"?
> >
> > Also, I'd like to learn more about the meeting where Bob takes the Infidels songs to him, hoping he'll produce them. That would have been a quite interesting album, had he done it.
> I know, but Bob Dylan actually showed up at Frank Zappa's house... and wanted Zappa to produce "Infidels".
>
> I kid you not.

as opposed to bob hope

Re: Bob and Zappa

<3e433d60-611f-4bf3-a9d2-51a65932be02n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7492&group=rec.music.dylan#7492

Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 22:50:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: opbop1@yahoo.com (Will Dockery)
 by: Will Dockery - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 05:50 UTC

On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 6:05:50 PM UTC-4, Rachel wrote:
> On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 2:53:03 PM UTC-7, will.d...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Friday, October 21, 2022 at 8:55:37 PM UTC-4, Willie wrote:
> > >
> > > A fellow at rec.music.beatles, who doesn't think much of Bob, methinks, posted this link, saying to listen to the Dylan part, starting at around 1:20:
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKE3ZLj7_V8
> > >
> > > I thought the YouTube comment by "skelet3n" was very interesting:
> > >
> > > --------------------------------------
> > > Bob Dylan was name-checked on the cover of "Freak Out!" (1966) under the heading "These People Have Contributed Materially In Many Ways To Make Our Music What It Is. Please Do Not Hold It Against Them".
> > >
> > > "Dylan's 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' was a monster record. I heard that thing and I was jumping all over the car. And then when I heard the one after that, 'Like a Rolling Stone', I wanted to quit the music business, because I felt: 'If this wins and it does what it's supposed to do, I don't need to do anything else', but it didn't do anything. It sold; but nobody responded to it the way that they should have. (...) It didn't happen right away, and I was a little disappointed. I figured, 'Well, shit, maybe it needs a little reinforcing." - Frank Kofsky interviews FZ, 1968)
> > >
> > > "As for Dylan, 'Highway 61 Revisited' was really good. Then we got 'Blonde on Blonde' and it started to sound like cowboy music, and you know what I think of cowboy music." - Playboy-interview (1993)
> > >
> > > Bob Dylan visited FZ on December 22, 1982, showing up at FZ's door, in the freezing cold, to play some songs on the piano; he asks FZ if he would produce an album (what turned out to be "Infidels") for him. Dylan did not get in touch with FZ after that; "Infidels" was produced by Bob Dylan & Mark Knopfler and released in 1983.
> > >
> > > "Flakes", a song on FZ's Sheik Yerbouti album, contains a Dylan parody, with guitarist Adrian Belew doing the Dylan "voice". FZ asks in the background, "Wanna buy some Mandies, Bob?". Mandies is slang for no longer manufactured British Methaqualone based tablets Mandrax which were similar to Quaaludes.
> > > A subsequent commentator writes: "Adrian Belew was the inspiration. Ed Mann was the guy who actually performed it on the Shiek Yer Bouti album."
> > >
> > > I wasn't sure what Frank meant by, after hearing LaRS, "If this wins and it does what it's supposed to do, I don't need to do anything else', but it didn't do anything." Does that mean he could just drop music, 'cause Dylan brought it to some kind of apotheosis? And what does he then mean by "a little reinforcing"?
> > >
> > > Also, I'd like to learn more about the meeting where Bob takes the Infidels songs to him, hoping he'll produce them. That would have been a quite interesting album, had he done it.
> > I know, but Bob Dylan actually showed up at Frank Zappa's house... and wanted Zappa to produce "Infidels".
> >
> > I kid you not.
> as opposed to bob hope

Don't you mean David Bowie?

🙂

Re: Bob and Zappa

<2bd34bb1-f875-4552-9816-5e12a985efean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7494&group=rec.music.dylan#7494

Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 13:37:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: vhugofan@gmail.com (Zod Zodly)
 by: Zod Zodly - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 20:37 UTC

On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 1:50:02 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 6:05:50 PM UTC-4, Rachel wrote:

> > > I know, but Bob Dylan actually showed up at Frank Zappa's house... and wanted Zappa to produce "Infidels".
> > >
> > > I kid you not.
> > as opposed to bob hope
> Don't you mean David Bowie?

This was a good read:

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/why-bob-dylan-hated-david-bowie/

"Over the 1970s, the pair met on several occasions, with Dylan collaborating with Bowie’s guitarist Mick Ronson for Rolling Thunder in 1975. It’s also alleged that Dylan had wanted Bowie to produce 1983’s Infidels before Dire Straits frontman Mark Knopfler was brought in. If this is true, Dylan’s bitterness toward Bowie couldn’t have been too potent or grudging, but it certainly showed earlier on in the 1970s...."

arts / rec.music.dylan / Bob and Zappa