From: le@main.lekno.ws (Louis Epstein)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: Viking Victory at Clontarf
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 00:28:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Louis Epstein - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 00:28 UTC

If Brian Boru's armies had been crushed by those
pf Sigurd and Sigtrygg and their Norse allies,
could a lasting Viking domination of the Gaels
have been created?

-=-=-

Re: Viking Victory at Clontarf

<utv7sf$2afh1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7479&group=alt.history.what-if#7479

From: rrostrom@comcast.net (Rich Rostrom)
Newsgroups: alt.history.what-if
Subject: Re: Viking Victory at Clontarf
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 14:32:29 -0500
 by: Rich Rostrom - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 19:32 UTC

On 3/24/24 7:28 PM, Louis Epstein wrote:
> If Brian Boru's armies had been crushed by those
> of Sigurd and Sigtrygg and their Norse allies,
> could a lasting Viking domination of the Gaels
> have been created?

The "Norse" kingdoms in Ireland were really Norse/Erse
hybrids.

Sigtrygg's mother was Gormlaith ingen Murchada, daughter
of the King of Leinster. Her second husband was Brian
Boru himself, and Sigtrygg married Brian's daughter Slaine.

Given that level of intermarriage, the Norse were going
to assimilate into the Irish over time. Victory at Clontarf
would have raised the profile of of the Norse in Ireland.
Possibly there would be more Norse names found in
Ireland, just as Norman French names are found in England.

Nous sommes dans une pot de chambre, et nous y serons emmerdés.
--- General Auguste-Alexandre Ducrot at Sedan, 1870.