Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 18:01:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: SPANISH IS THE LOVING TONGUE QUESTIONS
From: larrytheresa1298@gmail.com (Larry Thomas)
 by: Larry Thomas - Sat, 30 Sep 2023 01:01 UTC

On Wednesday, January 8, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Peter Stone Brown wrote:
> Rev. Jennings wrote:

> > > <snip>

> > > There are other choices besides what Sony officially releases. For example a
> > > version on tape of this song performed live in San Antonio May 11, 1976 has
> > > been mentioned on this group previously. Dundas' Tangled Up In Tapes reports
> > > several other live performances. On bootleg CD you can find this song on "The
> > > Genuine Basement Tapes Vol 5" and "The Genuine Bootleg Series Take 2".. The
> > > latter is reported to be the same take as on Masterpieces but now in stereo
> > > with slightly different instrumentation.
> > >
> > > <snip>

> > > Spanish is the Loving Tongue is listed in Dundas' Tangled Up in Tapes as by
> > > Clark-Williams. Krogsgaard's Positively Bob Dylan lists Clark. Heylin's
> > > Recording Sessions lists it as a cover. Tim Dunn's The Bob Dylan Copyright
> > > Files lists Bob with a copyright application of a new musical arrangement and
> > > something about public domain.

> > > Heylin lists the version appearing on "Dylan" with an April 1969 recording
> > > date and lists it as from the Self Portrait Sessions. According to Heylin the
> > > "Masterpieces" version is from June 2 1970 with instruments added July 2 1970
> > > and released first as a single and is listed as from the New Morning Sessions.
> > >
> > > EDLIS Boot Advisory Agent
> > I have it on the B side of "Watching the River Flow" a single I bought
> > when it was first released - too long ago for me to remember the year.
> > Is this the July 2, 1970 recording you mention?
> The July 2 1970 would be the one that's the flip of "Watching" and also
> it's the one on Masterpieces--just Dylan on piano. The one on Dylan was
> obviously recorded in Nashville during Self Portrait sessions.
> The songs is an old song, not Dylan's and the Charles Badger Clark thing
> is accurate. It was recorded by the balladeer Richard Dyer Bennett long
> before anyone heard of Dylan, in fact long before Dylan probably knew he
> was gonna be Dylan. :-) Ian & Sylvia recorded it also. It's a good
> possibility Dylan learned it from them.
> PSB
The best version I've heard of this song is done by The Great Western Orchestra from Alberta, Canada, if you can find it, on there GWO CD. I haven't been able to even find any connection between GWO and the song other than in an image of the CMO CD. I had it on cassette tape years ago. I think it came out in 1989 or there abouts. It was written as a poem by a Cowboy Poet Charles Badger Clark in 1907 and music put to it by Billy Simon in 1925, according to Wikipedia. It's been cover numerous times.