All that glitters is not gold; all that wander are not lost.

arts / rec.music.dylan / Re: Is the December, 1956 recording by The Jokers available publicly?

SubjectAuthor
* Is the December, 1956 recording by The Jokers available publicly?Willie
+- Is the December, 1956 recording by The Jokers available publicly?Willie
`- Is the December, 1956 recording by The Jokers availableGeneral-Zod

1
Re: Is the December, 1956 recording by The Jokers available publicly?

<db3f58db-42de-43b3-831d-0e52b5ca21adn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7776&group=rec.music.dylan#7776

Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 07:03:04 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Is the December, 1956 recording by The Jokers available publicly?
From: williamgwilliams@gmail.com (Willie)
 by: Willie - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 15:03 UTC

On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 11:52:48 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 5:37:54 PM UTC-5, Willie wrote:
> >
> > The book "Bob Dylan: Mixing Up the Medicine" has a section, written by Lee Ranaldo, called "I Just Wanna See It" about the acetate disc Bob, Larry Kegan, and Howie Rutman made in December, 1956 in Hibbing. I was surprised to not be able to find an online version of this 4-minute recording. It's not totally clear to me from the section whether the Tulsa museum has the disc itself. Ranaldo writes, "Finally, after tugging repeatedly on a few sleeves, I did get to see a images of the actual disc," and the section has what looks like a photo of it, but has the caption "Original painting by Duncan Hannah of The Jokers acetate recorded at Terlinde Music December 24, 1956." Ranaldo then writes, "I managed to hear it a bunch of times as well, across many weeks." But it's not clear if the museum has the acetate locked away and gave him access to it, or if they played a digital version of it for him, or what.
> >
> > Does anyone out there know if there is a publicly available version?
> Sure makes me wonder.
>
> 🙂
One thing I omitted from Ranaldo's section is that he says at first Larry Kegan had the disc, but gave it to Louie Kemp, who kept it in a safe deposit box for decades, then gave it back to Kegan just before Larry died. But Ranaldo says nothing about how (or if) it went from Kegan to the Tulsa museum.. I posted this at Expecting Rain, so maybe someone there knows more about it.

Re: Is the December, 1956 recording by The Jokers available publicly?

<bdb6885b-2099-404b-a527-1b1cda8766cfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7777&group=rec.music.dylan#7777

Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 13:35:59 -0800 (PST)
From: williamgwilliams@gmail.com (Willie)
 by: Willie - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 21:35 UTC

On Monday, December 11, 2023 at 12:37:00 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Sunday, December 10, 2023 at 10:03:06 AM UTC-5, Willie wrote:

> > > Sure makes me wonder.
> > >

> > One thing I omitted from Ranaldo's section is that he says at first Larry Kegan had the disc, but gave it to Louie Kemp, who kept it in a safe deposit box for decades, then gave it back to Kegan just before Larry died. But Ranaldo says nothing about how (or if) it went from Kegan to the Tulsa museum. I posted this at Expecting Rain, so maybe someone there knows more about it.
> Hopefully some copies were made at some point?
Nobody (yet) at Expecting Rain has mentioned a copy outside of the Tulsa archive. Someone there said Larry Kegan's sister put the disc up on eBay with a Reserve Price of $150,000 - $200,000 and the only bid was for $1. (Well the ER post said the Reserve Price was "150.000 - 200.000 Dollars," so I'm assuming that was $150,000 - $200,000). Also, a post there said Bill Pagel was involved in the transfer to the Tulsa archive. Not sure whether that meant Bill had helped Larry Kegan's sister do it, or whether he had obtained it himself from her first.

ER is pretty impressive; there's a thread there that has had 5,963,506 posts. It's the one where you extend a conversation with a line or snippet from a Dylan song. Like so:

What can I do for you?
There's something you can send back to me, Spanish boots of Spanish leather
I'm just thankful and grateful. But where are you tonight, sweet Marie?
I'm just sitting here beating on my trumpet
How does it feel?
And you're sick of all this repetition. But what's the sense of changing horses in midstream?
It sure feels right, On a night like this
I can't help it if I'm lucky.

And so on. I think RMD did this before Expecting Rain started. It started on ER in 2006. And one could, I suppose, page through all 5,963,506 posts if one had a bit of time on one's hands.

The fact that Bob has put out enough lines to support 5,963,506 posts is as impressive as how WUMB in Boston has a "Daily Dylan" slot at 5:30pm every day, which has been going for at least 10 years, probably longer, and they claim to have never repeated a song version.

Re: Is the December, 1956 recording by The Jokers available publicly?

<093b93f4a95f59b5bbe377db1e95a0a0@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=7782&group=rec.music.dylan#7782

From: General-Zod@news.novabbs.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Subject: Re: Is the December, 1956 recording by The Jokers available
publicly?
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 14:14:13 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 14:14 UTC

Willie wrote:

> On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 11:52:48 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
>> On Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 5:37:54 PM UTC-5, Willie wrote:
>> >
>> > The book "Bob Dylan: Mixing Up the Medicine" has a section, written by Lee Ranaldo, called "I Just Wanna See It" about the acetate disc Bob, Larry Kegan, and Howie Rutman made in December, 1956 in Hibbing. I was surprised to not be able to find an online version of this 4-minute recording. It's not totally clear to me from the section whether the Tulsa museum has the disc itself. Ranaldo writes, "Finally, after tugging repeatedly on a few sleeves, I did get to see a images of the actual disc," and the section has what looks like a photo of it, but has the caption "Original painting by Duncan Hannah of The Jokers acetate recorded at Terlinde Music December 24, 1956." Ranaldo then writes, "I managed to hear it a bunch of times as well, across many weeks." But it's not clear if the museum has the acetate locked away and gave him access to it, or if they played a digital version of it for him, or what.
>> >
>> > Does anyone out there know if there is a publicly available version?
>> Sure makes me wonder.
>>
>> 🙂
> One thing I omitted from Ranaldo's section is that he says at first Larry Kegan had the disc, but gave it to Louie Kemp, who kept it in a safe deposit box for decades, then gave it back to Kegan just before Larry died. But Ranaldo says nothing about how (or if) it went from Kegan to the Tulsa museum.. I posted this at Expecting Rain, so maybe someone there knows more about it.

Quite fascinating, I thank.

Passing this news/suggestion along:

With Google Groups shutting down the Usenet access, this is a good alternative for now, Nova BBS web based portal for Usenet:

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/thread.php?group=rec.music.dylan

Please enjoy..!