I've got a very bad feeling about this. -- Han Solo

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!

SubjectAuthor
* Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!Zobovor
`* Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!Irrellius Spamticon
 `* Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!Zobovor
  `* Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!Codigo Postal
   `- Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!Zobovor

1
Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!

<9eec5b03-a6cf-44e4-9146-d572de28df9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7932&group=alt.toys.transformers#7932

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 10:20:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!
From: zmfts@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:20 UTC

Some of these toys have been hinted at or rumored, but this is the first time we've seen actual images of them that confirm which deco is being used:

https://tformers.com/wave-2-toxitron-collection-possilbe-images-from-transformers-legacy/50085/news.html

It's a blurry image, certainly, but we can nevertheless glean some nuggets of information we didn't have before. For one, Mirage is, indeed, the expected pink-and-green watermelon-flavored deco (I guess there was an eBay auction for a stolen production-run toy a few weeks ago that I didn't hear about). Sideswipe is, as I had guessed, the cancelled yellow-and-teal deco rather than the standard black-and-red deco (I mean, we already got Covert Clone Sideswipe during Siege). Also a bit of a surprise is a remold of Legacy Prime Arcee/Road Rocket as the cancelled G2 Laser Cycle Jazz, a toy with liberal amounts of white and green and yellow. Looks like Jazz is finally read to smash Decepticons the way he jams on his guitar!

Not sure what became of the Toxitron version of Grimlock, whose box art was revealed back in March. We still haven't seen pictures of the actual toy, let alone seen him go up for pre-order anywhere yet.

Zob (it's crazy how plentiful Studio Series Grimlock used to be, and it's equally crazy how many people are complaining now how expensive he is on the aftermarket)

Re: Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!

<dec000a0-5240-40a6-b203-79237b6b1b6an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7935&group=alt.toys.transformers#7935

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 17:24:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1kenoby@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 00:24 UTC

On Friday, June 16, 2023 at 12:20:40 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> Some of these toys have been hinted at or rumored, but this is the first time we've seen actual images of them that confirm which deco is being used:
>
> https://tformers.com/wave-2-toxitron-collection-possilbe-images-from-transformers-legacy/50085/news.html
>
> It's a blurry image, certainly, but we can nevertheless glean some nuggets of information we didn't have before. For one, Mirage is, indeed, the expected pink-and-green watermelon-flavored deco (I guess there was an eBay auction for a stolen production-run toy a few weeks ago that I didn't hear about). Sideswipe is, as I had guessed, the cancelled yellow-and-teal deco rather than the standard black-and-red deco (I mean, we already got Covert Clone Sideswipe during Siege). Also a bit of a surprise is a remold of Legacy Prime Arcee/Road Rocket as the cancelled G2 Laser Cycle Jazz, a toy with liberal amounts of white and green and yellow. Looks like Jazz is finally read to smash Decepticons the way he jams on his guitar!
>
> Not sure what became of the Toxitron version of Grimlock, whose box art was revealed back in March. We still haven't seen pictures of the actual toy, let alone seen him go up for pre-order anywhere yet.

Ok so we've seen the Dead End, and the Orange Jazz before.

Disappointed Sideswipe isn't the black and red deco. I know we got his cybertronian form in black, but not his Earth mode. And we never got an official spoiler either.

Your description of Mirage as watermelon colored kinda sealed my decision that I don't need him. He looks like the Siege mold again.

The Arcee road Rocket mold just stands out as having giant wheels hanging off the lower legs when everything the mold is homaging either put the wheels in the back of the legs or has no wheels on the legs.

The only must have for me is still Dead End

> Zob (it's crazy how plentiful Studio Series Grimlock used to be, and it's equally crazy how many people are complaining now how expensive he is on the aftermarket)

Just got 2 in on the same day and sold both of them the same day. For $100 more than he went for originally. Crazy. Glad I got mine when he was on clearance for $35

Re: Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!

<8d6be3b3-0a0b-4091-a8e4-a04ea69b27e4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7937&group=alt.toys.transformers#7937

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 09:28:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmfts@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:28 UTC

On Friday, June 16, 2023 at 6:24:30 PM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon wrote:

> Your description of Mirage as watermelon colored kinda sealed my decision that I don't need him. He looks like the Siege mold again.

Here are some better pictures. Looks like it's actually Earthrise Mirage, not the Siege toy (not that they are hugely different):

https://tformers.com/g2-dead-end-mirage-sideswipe-jazz-more-images-of-transformers-legacy-toxitron-collection-wave-2/50092/news.html

Of note is that the name of motorcycle redeco is literally "G2 Universe Laser Cycle." The character's name is Laser Cycle. Because I guess they couldn't put two versions of Jazz in the same wave? Even though they totally did?

I said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm very fond of G2, and I feel like when Hasbro moved into 90's nostalgia mode, they skipped right over G2 in favor of Beast Wars. And, I mean, I get it. Beast Wars was a bigger toy line with more media support, and brought in a huge new batch of fans to the franchise. That's where the money is. But, as Evan Brooks once said, how can you gatekeep a brand that reboots every three years? For a lot of fans, G2 was their first Transformers toy line. They're nostalgic about THE TOYS THAT WERE ACTUALLY RELEASED AND SOLD IN STORES, not versions of characters that, for all intents and purposes, never existed.

It's like they skipped over the obvious G2 homage toys and went after the most obscure concept versions of characters they could find. And, obviously, there are insane fans like me who will buy them, just like I've been buying all the Diaclone color schemes of toys that Hasbro never sold in America during the G1 days. At least those have a bit of consumer history to them.. If you lived in Japan in 1983, you totally could have bought police car Sunstreaker, even though he wasn't actually Sunstreaker yet.

In a world where a lot of G1 toys never made it into the Sunbow cartoon, I would argue that, in terms of character recognizability and importance, G2 guys like Powerdive and Firecracker and Skyjack are easily no more or less important than lesser-known G1 characters like Stranglehold and Backstreet and Guzzle. It's going to be harder for Hasbro to simultaneously pay tribute to G1/G2/Beast Wars/Armada/Energon/Cybertron/Prime/Kiss Players (though, really, we should just jettison that last one out the airlock and move on with our lives). They have a lot of balls in the air right now, and "slot logic" dictates that with every iteration of the franchise they try to pay homage to, the fewer spots are available for other characters from other universes. Now that they've spread their focus so thin, it's going to take even longer to get to all the G1 characters I want to see, let alone G2, *especially* if they keep going back for a redo of characters they've done within the last few years (Springer, Ultra Magnus, Soundwave, etc.)

So, I don't know what the point of this was. Being the biggest fan of G2 that I know of, and complaining that we're getting G2 toys, I guess.

Zob (hypocrite-at-large)

Re: Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!

<fa2f2fdb-bcf6-41ad-8b2f-4084c44153c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7943&group=alt.toys.transformers#7943

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 06:56:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopostal959@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 13:56 UTC

On Saturday, June 17, 2023 at 5:28:19 PM UTC+1, Zobovor wrote:
> On Friday, June 16, 2023 at 6:24:30 PM UTC-6, Irrellius Spamticon wrote:
>
> > Your description of Mirage as watermelon colored kinda sealed my decision that I don't need him. He looks like the Siege mold again.
> Here are some better pictures. Looks like it's actually Earthrise Mirage, not the Siege toy (not that they are hugely different):
>
> https://tformers.com/g2-dead-end-mirage-sideswipe-jazz-more-images-of-transformers-legacy-toxitron-collection-wave-2/50092/news.html
>
> Of note is that the name of motorcycle redeco is literally "G2 Universe Laser Cycle." The character's name is Laser Cycle. Because I guess they couldn't put two versions of Jazz in the same wave? Even though they totally did?
>
> I said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm very fond of G2, and I feel like when Hasbro moved into 90's nostalgia mode, they skipped right over G2 in favor of Beast Wars. And, I mean, I get it. Beast Wars was a bigger toy line with more media support, and brought in a huge new batch of fans to the franchise. That's where the money is. But, as Evan Brooks once said, how can you gatekeep a brand that reboots every three years? For a lot of fans, G2 was their first Transformers toy line. They're nostalgic about THE TOYS THAT WERE ACTUALLY RELEASED AND SOLD IN STORES, not versions of characters that, for all intents and purposes, never existed.

For the life of me, I still cannot understand why Hasbro hasn't invested in the release Vintage G1 Dinobots, and why we still haven't gotten G2 Dinobot homages. The POTP and the Legacy Core molds are right there for the taking. Instead we're getting a Leader-class...Tiger Grimlock?

Re: Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!

<06094244-9f78-4bf0-a3a8-c5d7e45a38f0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7950&group=alt.toys.transformers#7950

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 20:41:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmfts@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 21 Jun 2023 03:41 UTC

On Tuesday, June 20, 2023 at 7:56:18 AM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:

> For the life of me, I still cannot understand why Hasbro hasn't invested in the release Vintage G1 Dinobots, and why we still haven't gotten G2 Dinobot homages. The POTP and the Legacy Core molds are right there for the taking. Instead we're getting a Leader-class...Tiger Grimlock?

They must have done some kind of cost analysis of what it would mean to rebuild the vintage Dinobot molds from the ground up. There might have been a market for them at one time, but the unofficial reissues from China have been available for so many years that most of the money Hasbro *would* have made has probably already gone to Zhong Jin. Hasbro would probably have to charge fifty bucks for G1 reissues in today's market, and at that point, I imagine most folks would want to spend money like that on a much bigger Studio Series Dinobot instead.

A gift set of Power of the Primes Dinobots in G2 colors would have been the obvious way to go, and I really don't understand why that never happened. Maybe they got gunshy after the poor performance of the gift sets during Titans Return (we were supposed to get four, but we only ended up getting two of them). The Core-class toys are destined to become the Dinoforce, but I'm less keen on G2 versions of them. They had to sacrifice a lot of the design just to get them to combine.

I worry that if the Toxitron collection does poorly, Hasbro will take it as evidence that nobody wants G2 toys. I tend to think that fewer people are interested in obscure unproduced G2 concepts than actual G2 characters, though. But, maybe I'm wrong. People get weirdly excited over Decepticon jets who don't exist like Sandstorm and Blackout.

Zob (also doesn't exist)

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Images of Toxitron Collection Wave 2: G2 Laser Cycle Jazz!