From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Subject: Supposedly this is Bob Dylan's favorite singer
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 23:32:40 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 23:32 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> He said "My favorite singer…was Karen Dalton. Karen had a voice like Billie Holiday and played guitar like Jimmy Reed… I sang with her a couple of times."

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN-ZlmWO-ps

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNIHvRKzpD0

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iltA6LDcwpM

Of course this changes from time to time.

In 1978 Bob Dylan's favorite singer was the Egyptian pop star Om Kalsoum:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-rolling-stone-interview-bob-dylan-19780126

Dylan: This film ["Renaldo & Clara"] concerns itself only with the depth of the dream - the dream as seen in the mirror. The next film might have some blood. I'm trying to locate Lois Smith to be in it. She would represent the idea of innocence. Do you know who she is? She was the barmaid in East of Eden. I'm trying to line up some people for the film, and I can't find her. For some reason I've just thought of my favorite singer.

Cott: Who is that?

Dylan: Om Kalsoum - the Egyptian woman who died a few years ago. She was my favorite.

Cott: What did you like about her?

Dylan: It was her heart.

Cott: Do you like dervish and Sufi singing, by the way?

Dylan: Yeah, that's where my singing really comes from...except that I sing in America. I've heard too much Lead-belly really to be too much influenced by the whirling dervishes.

Cott: Now that we somehow got onto this subject, who else do you like right now? New Wave groups?

Dylan: No, I'm not interested in them. I think Alice Cooper is an overlooked songwriter. I like Ry Cooder. And I like Dave Mason's version of something, which is on the jukebox right now.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-rolling-stone-interview-bob-dylan-19780126#ixzz40SCS17ed
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Re: Supposedly this is Bob Dylan's favorite singer

Re: Supposedly this is Bob Dylan's favorite singer

<4c3ad14f394604dc856f755e939e177f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=8113&group=rec.music.dylan#8113

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Subject: Re: Supposedly this is Bob Dylan's favorite singer
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 03:35:03 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 03:35 UTC

Will Dockery wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
>>
>> He said "My favorite singer…was Karen Dalton. Karen had a voice like Billie Holiday and played guitar like Jimmy Reed… I sang with her a couple of times."

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN-ZlmWO-ps

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNIHvRKzpD0

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iltA6LDcwpM

> Of course this changes from time to time.

> In 1978 Bob Dylan's favorite singer was the Egyptian pop star Om Kalsoum:

> http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-rolling-stone-interview-bob-dylan-19780126

> Dylan: This film ["Renaldo & Clara"] concerns itself only with the depth of the dream - the dream as seen in the mirror. The next film might have some blood. I'm trying to locate Lois Smith to be in it. She would represent the idea of innocence. Do you know who she is? She was the barmaid in East of Eden. I'm trying to line up some people for the film, and I can't find her. For some reason I've just thought of my favorite singer.

> Cott: Who is that?

> Dylan: Om Kalsoum - the Egyptian woman who died a few years ago. She was my favorite.

> Cott: What did you like about her?

> Dylan: It was her heart.

> Cott: Do you like dervish and Sufi singing, by the way?

> Dylan: Yeah, that's where my singing really comes from...except that I sing in America. I've heard too much Lead-belly really to be too much influenced by the whirling dervishes.

> Cott: Now that we somehow got onto this subject, who else do you like right now? New Wave groups?

> Dylan: No, I'm not interested in them. I think Alice Cooper is an overlooked songwriter. I like Ry Cooder. And I like Dave Mason's version of something, which is on the jukebox right now.

> Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-rolling-stone-interview-bob-dylan-19780126#ixzz40SCS17ed
> Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

> Re: Supposedly this is Bob Dylan's favorite singer

Of interest...