Only through hard work and perseverance can one truly suffer.

arts / rec.music.dylan / Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!

SubjectAuthor
* Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!General-Zod
+* Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!cheesetray
|`* Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!cheesetray
| `* Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!General-Zod
|  `* Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!cheesetray
|   `- Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!W.Dockery
`- Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!W.Dockery

1
Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!

<a774448e1944924824d998b3436fdbb3@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=8215&group=rec.music.dylan#8215

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Subject: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 21:20:49 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 21:20 UTC

Thank you Rachel for the great book...!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_and_Theft_(Bob_Dylan_album)

Love and Theft generated controversy when some similarities between the album's lyrics and Japanese writer Junichi Saga's book Confessions of a Yakuza were pointed out.[47][48][49] Translated to English by John Bester, the book is a biography of one of the last traditional yakuza bosses in Japan. In the article published in the Journal, a line from "Floater" ("I'm not quite as cool or forgiving as I sound") was traced to a line in the book, which said "I'm not as cool or forgiving as I might have sounded." Another line from "Floater" is "My old man, he's like some feudal lord". One line in the book's first chapter is, "My old man would sit there like a feudal lord." However, when informed of this, author Saga's reaction was one of having been honored rather than abused from Dylan's use of lines from his work.[50] Similarly, in defense of Dylan, Robert Christgau wrote: "All pop music is love and theft, and in 40 years of records whose sources have inspired volumes of scholastic exegesis, Dylan has never embraced that truth so warmly."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessions_of_a_Yakuza

It was reported that some lines from Bob Dylan's 2001 album Love and Theft were "borrowed" from the book for songs.[4] [5][6] Some examples appeared in an article published in Journal, which indicated a line from "Floater" ("I'm not quite as cool or forgiving as I sound") was traced to a line in the book, which said "I'm not as cool or forgiving as I might have sounded." Another line from "Floater" is "My old man, he's like some feudal lord." The beginning of the book contains the line "My old man would sit there like a feudal lord."

When informed of the possibility that Dylan had lifted material from the book, Saga said he was honored that Dylan might have read and been inspired by Confessions of a Yakuza. He said "Please say hello to Bob Dylan for me because I am very flattered and very happy to hear this news."[7][6]

Dylan has admitted to quoting the lines, but claims that such quotations are done to "enrich" folk and jazz music

Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!

<129bbb013285a10a4a85ddcd75b74eb0@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=8216&group=rec.music.dylan#8216

From: roach4994@gmail.com (cheesetray)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Subject: Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 01:06:38 +0000
 by: cheesetray - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 01:06 UTC

Who's penis did you send me in your email ?

Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!

<9d0f4ad913faa820f4b66aa964ac6584@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=8217&group=rec.music.dylan#8217

From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 06:52:31 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 06:52 UTC

General-Zod wrote:

> Thank you Rachel for the great book...!

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_and_Theft_(Bob_Dylan_album)

> Love and Theft generated controversy when some similarities between the album's lyrics and Japanese writer Junichi Saga's book Confessions of a Yakuza were pointed out.[47][48][49] Translated to English by John Bester, the book is a biography of one of the last traditional yakuza bosses in Japan. In the article published in the Journal, a line from "Floater" ("I'm not quite as cool or forgiving as I sound") was traced to a line in the book, which said "I'm not as cool or forgiving as I might have sounded." Another line from "Floater" is "My old man, he's like some feudal lord". One line in the book's first chapter is, "My old man would sit there like a feudal lord." However, when informed of this, author Saga's reaction was one of having been honored rather than abused from Dylan's use of lines from his work.[50] Similarly, in defense of Dylan, Robert Christgau wrote: "All pop music is love and theft, and in 40 years of records whose sources have inspired volumes of scholastic exegesis, Dylan has never embraced that truth so warmly."

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessions_of_a_Yakuza

> It was reported that some lines from Bob Dylan's 2001 album Love and Theft were "borrowed" from the book for songs.[4] [5][6] Some examples appeared in an article published in Journal, which indicated a line from "Floater" ("I'm not quite as cool or forgiving as I sound") was traced to a line in the book, which said "I'm not as cool or forgiving as I might have sounded." Another line from "Floater" is "My old man, he's like some feudal lord." The beginning of the book contains the line "My old man would sit there like a feudal lord."

> When informed of the possibility that Dylan had lifted material from the book, Saga said he was honored that Dylan might have read and been inspired by Confessions of a Yakuza. He said "Please say hello to Bob Dylan for me because I am very flattered and very happy to hear this news."[7][6]

> Dylan has admitted to quoting the lines, but claims that such quotations are done to "enrich" folk and jazz music

Interesting read.

Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!

<df2833820c6fd8a56ffb7183abc9bce6@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=8225&group=rec.music.dylan#8225

From: roach4994@gmail.com (cheesetray)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:38:31 +0000
 by: cheesetray - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 01:38 UTC

cheesetray wrote:

> Who's penis did you send me in your email ?

Hi Zod.....I'm sure you see this......who's penis was sent to me in your email? You know, the multi-colored one....

Thanks,
Rachel

Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!

<f0f8a46aaceeaf15bbfcc0ed61a40eb3@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=8227&group=rec.music.dylan#8227

From: tzod9964@gmail.com (General-Zod)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 19:54:11 +0000
 by: General-Zod - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 19:54 UTC

cheesetray wrote:

> cheesetray wrote:
>
>> Who's penis did you send me in your email ?

> Hi Zod.....I'm sure you see this......who's penis was sent to me in your email? You know, the multi-colored one....

> Thanks,
> Rachel

Rachel...!

That was NOT me, it had to be a forger...!

I never use emails or Facebook...!

Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!

<27f260f0439f47fbfb28d8e9e6ab1054@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=8228&group=rec.music.dylan#8228

From: roach4994@gmail.com (cheesetray)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 01:03:28 +0000
 by: cheesetray - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 01:03 UTC

I find that to be a preposterous notion.....no email....I highly doubt THAT!

What, afraid some pervert will lure you away...?!!???!

You've been listening to Zimmy too long.....turned your brain to MUSH!

Re: Thank you Rachel for the nice birthday gift...!

<87c76abbe3dc058e0aa027f98f0a24b2@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=8231&group=rec.music.dylan#8231

From: will.dockery@gmail.com (W.Dockery)
Newsgroups: rec.music.dylan
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:56:04 +0000
 by: W.Dockery - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:56 UTC

cheesetray wrote:

> I find that to be a preposterous notion.....no email....I highly doubt THAT!

> What, afraid some pervert will lure you away...?!!???!

> You've been listening to Zimmy too long.....turned your brain to MUSH!

Actually, I've known Zod for forty years and he hasn't ever sent me an email, at least not in twenty years or so.