Afternoon very favorable for romance. Try a single person for a change.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Zob's Thoughts on HasLab Micromaster Seawatch and Fixit

SubjectAuthor
* Zob's Thoughts on HasLab Micromaster Seawatch and FixitZobovor
`- Zob's Thoughts on HasLab Micromaster Seawatch and FixitTravoltron

1
Zob's Thoughts on HasLab Micromaster Seawatch and Fixit

<a78c4c78-7ec9-491b-9a54-1382b3da9857n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8742&group=alt.toys.transformers#8742

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:23:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Zob's Thoughts on HasLab Micromaster Seawatch and Fixit
From: zmfts@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 23:23 UTC

So, I got my HasLab package delivery today, finally, after many misadventures with FedEx that we won't go into. Awful big box, just for a couple of Micromasters. Oh, and I guess they came with a big robotic space chicken or something as well, but obviously the Micromasters were the main draw here.

In all seriousness... I'm not reviewing Deathsaurus. I'm not even taking him out of the box. I supported the project because I wanted to see it get made, but I don't have an attachment to the character, and I don't even have my *regular* neo-G1 toys on display yet, let alone the unimportant characters from a show I never watched or cared about. It's very probable that I'll sell him off along with Star Saber.

But these Micromasters were a must-have.

We already got Red Hot and Stakeout as part of Siege in 2019, but these guys effectively complete the Autobot Micromaster Rescue Patrol. Sure, sure, these are technically Boater and Pīpō from Transformers: Victory, but I'm calling them Seawatch and Fixit, and you can't stop me.

FIXIT

He's a cute little ambulance that's only about 1.75" long, white with sky blue-painted windows, red-painted roof lights, and black wheels. The original Fixit toy had dark blue windows and roof lights, and some red stripes as well as the word "AMBULANCE" written on the sides, but this toy is designed to resemble Pīpō as he appeared in animation. (The name Pīpō is the sound an ambulance siren makes, so in English his name would be something like "WEE WOO"). The wheel hubs jut out to the sides in an odd way. He is cute, though.

The original Fixit toy transformed by standing the ambulance up on its rear bumper and slightly extending the legs. The new version has a totally different transformation, in which the front of the ambulance unfolds to become the legs, the toes swing out of the windshield, and the side panels swing down on a strut to become the robot arms. He still has the little hood over his head as a robot, but it's made from the back of the ambulance instead of the front.

As a robot, he stands at about 2.0" at the head (the hood brings him closer to 2.25"). He's got ball-and-socket joints for his shoulders and hips, and hinges for the knees and ankles, as required by the transformation. The head is technically articulated with a swivel joint, but there's no practical way to reach in there and turn it, unless you want to poke and prod him with a sharp tool and risk scratching the paint. Robot mode is entirely white, except for the red-painted head and body. His face is silver and his eyes are Autobot blue (a darker, more turquoisey shade than his windows). He's got a tampo-printed silver-outlined Autobot symbol on his chest.

I love this little guy to pieces. Had they sold him during Siege or Earthrise, he would have likely been gang-molded with somebody else and had totally inappropriate color mapping, and it's likely they would have either used tooling from another Micromaster to make him, or they would have tried to recycle him to give us another character. It's a strong probability this mold will never be used for anything else again. I wouldn't hate if they crowdfunded an entire set of Micromasters, to be honest.

SEAWATCH

The release of Boater in Japan was identical to the release of Seawatch in America. Despite this, the animated look for Boater eschewed the dark grey and medium blue colors for a very light sky blue and a very light grey, so these are the colors the toy was produced in, to match the show.

In boat mode, he's about 2.5" long, differing from the original design a bit in that the small yellow cockpit on the 1989 toy has been replaced with a larger cockpit farther back on the deck, and the shape of the spoiler has been dramatically de-emphasized. Where the original release had one rolling rear wheel and two front support struts, the new version has none of these. (And, by the way, he doesn't actually float.) He's made entirely out of white plastic, the same as Fixit, but the front, back, and sides of the boat are painted a glossy light blue.

Unlike Fixit, he retains the same classic transformation, with the rear of the boat forming the robot legs, the front flipping back to reveal his robot head, and the sides becoming the robot arms. Sections of the cockpit remain attached to the robot legs, which fold back to become heel struts for the robot feet.

As a robot, Seawatch is 2.0" tall at the head. He's got ball-and-socket joints for his shoulders, hips, and knees, and the robot head can rotate as well (though it's a very tight joint). The robot fists and robot helmet are painted a dark grey almost-black, and the mask is silver with tiny little blue eyes poking out. His color mapping differs from the 1989 toy version in that he's got a red-colored rectangle on the front of his chest, but that's consistent with the animation from Transformers: Victory. Unlike Fixit, he lacks an Autobot symbol (the Boater character model had one, but he didn't wear one in the animation proper).

Deathsaurus seems perfectly fine. In opening up the box to get to the Micromasters, I saw his various accessories (the throne, various weapons, etc.) and the toy itself, but I have no business owning the toy since I know nothing about the character or his role in Victory. He needs to belong to somebody who will actually appreciate him properly. That person is not me.

I paid $179.99 for Deathsaurus, and so did 27,441 other people, but the two Micromasters alone are going on eBay for like $120 right now. So, I think I made the right choice. I know I devalued him a bit by removing the Micromasters from the package, but I couldn't not own these little guys.

Zob (seriously, FedEx and their passive-aggressive little "sorry we missed you!" stickers that they slap on the front door, that really needs to stop)

Re: Zob's Thoughts on HasLab Micromaster Seawatch and Fixit

<ulobh9$3aim3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8756&group=alt.toys.transformers#8756

From: Travoltron@fakeemail.com (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 18:41:44 -0800
 by: Travoltron - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 02:41 UTC

You really need to try out the Transformers Victory series if you
haven't. I think if you liked Car Robots/RiD, you would like it.

The Headmasters might also be worth a look. I would say it's the worst
of the three G1 anime series, but it is a direct continuation of G1
season 3 and stars all the 1986-87 characters with few Japanese exclusives.

Master Force is the most "anime", for better or worse.