Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 17:05:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Why does the animation in the Japanese-made G1 cartoons look somewhat
different from the American one?
From: rodimus2316@hotmail.com (Rodimus_2316)
 by: Rodimus_2316 - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 01:05 UTC

I've noticed for a very long time there's a different kind of...hue?...between them? Where you can just look at each and tell if their American-made or Japanese-made. Didn't the Japan G1 shows also use Toei? Please help me understand this.

Thanks!

- Rodimus_2316

Re: Why does the animation in the Japanese-made G1 cartoons look somewhat different from the American one?

<um7c5e$uro$1@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8766&group=alt.toys.transformers#8766

From: dvandom@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
different from the American one?
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:24:30 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: dvandom@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
 by: Dave Van Domelen - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 19:24 UTC

In article <36362a6b-f8bd-4cd4-b83f-46fb62ab53f3n@googlegroups.com>,
Rodimus_2316 <rodimus2316@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I've noticed for a very long time there's a different kind
>of...hue?...between them? Where you can just look at each and tell if
>their American-made or Japanese-made. Didn't the Japan G1 shows also
>use Toei? Please help me understand this.

A lot of it has to do with production schedules. Galaxy Force/Cybertron
is a very good side-by-side example of this. The Japanese episodes look a
LOT better than the American ones, despite being the same show from the same
studio...because the Japanese release was allowed more time to finish
things. The tendency towards vertical monopolies in Japan means that Takara
didn't need to worry so much about missing the window to launch a show, so if
it really needed another month to do right (or to do under budget), they got
the time.

There's also some other ways the Japanese releases got to make more of
their budget. Stock footage clips of transformation, clip shows, and the
fact that they didn't need to crank out 65 episodes for a full season helped
shows like Masterforce and Victory put more effort into each episode's new
animation. It may not seem like much, but the savings of putting the entire
Victory Saber Combination sequence into an episode instead of the abbreviated
version can let them make another scene noticeably better. Not that the
U.S. Transformers cartoons didn't use some stock footage, but not as
extensively or as blatantly.

Finally, quality issues aside, the Japanese series are also distinct
because of visual language elements that were not included in the U.S.-first
cartoons. Wheelie in TF2010 physically acts differently than Wheelie in US
Season 3, because he's playing a "Japanese Kid" archetype and there's
different body language there.

Dave Van Domelen, has soooo many Transformers showing up via FedEx this
week.

Re: Why does the animation in the Japanese-made G1 cartoons look somewhat different from the American one?

<e5df5dac-d865-43a6-b2a1-4ebb1b7a66e6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8767&group=alt.toys.transformers#8767

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:04:47 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Why does the animation in the Japanese-made G1 cartoons look
somewhat different from the American one?
From: rodimus2316@hotmail.com (Rodimus_2316)
 by: Rodimus_2316 - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 21:04 UTC

On Saturday, December 23, 2023 at 11:24:34 AM UTC-8, Dave Van Domelen wrote:
> In article <36362a6b-f8bd-4cd4...@googlegroups.com>,
> Rodimus_2316 <rodim...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I've noticed for a very long time there's a different kind
> >of...hue?...between them? Where you can just look at each and tell if
> >their American-made or Japanese-made. Didn't the Japan G1 shows also
> >use Toei? Please help me understand this.
> A lot of it has to do with production schedules. Galaxy Force/Cybertron
> is a very good side-by-side example of this. The Japanese episodes look a
> LOT better than the American ones, despite being the same show from the same
> studio...because the Japanese release was allowed more time to finish
> things. The tendency towards vertical monopolies in Japan means that Takara
> didn't need to worry so much about missing the window to launch a show, so if
> it really needed another month to do right (or to do under budget), they got
> the time.
>
> There's also some other ways the Japanese releases got to make more of
> their budget. Stock footage clips of transformation, clip shows, and the
> fact that they didn't need to crank out 65 episodes for a full season helped
> shows like Masterforce and Victory put more effort into each episode's new
> animation. It may not seem like much, but the savings of putting the entire
> Victory Saber Combination sequence into an episode instead of the abbreviated
> version can let them make another scene noticeably better. Not that the
> U.S. Transformers cartoons didn't use some stock footage, but not as
> extensively or as blatantly.
>
> Finally, quality issues aside, the Japanese series are also distinct
> because of visual language elements that were not included in the U.S.-first
> cartoons. Wheelie in TF2010 physically acts differently than Wheelie in US
> Season 3, because he's playing a "Japanese Kid" archetype and there's
> different body language there.
>
> Dave Van Domelen, has soooo many Transformers showing up via FedEx this
> week.

Thanks! :)

- Rodimus_2316