"Oh what wouldn't I give to be spat at in the face..." -- a prisoner in "Life of Brian"

arts / alt.tv.survivor / Jeff Probst says he makes Survivor for kids

SubjectAuthor
* Jeff Probst says he makes Survivor for kidsBrian Smith
+- Jeff Probst says he makes Survivor for kidsEmanuel Berg
`* Jeff Probst says he makes Survivor for kidszeppo
 `- Jeff Probst says he makes Survivor for kidsBrian Smith

1
Jeff Probst says he makes Survivor for kids

<bb0e5353-b819-4405-9ed9-ea821cac8a80n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=883&group=alt.tv.survivor#883

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 14:37:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Jeff Probst says he makes Survivor for kids
From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
 by: Brian Smith - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 21:37 UTC

Jeff Probst says he makes Survivor for kids

"My version of the show is seen through the eyes of kids. So that is my point of view.”

By Dalton Ross April 20, 2023 at 08:00 AM EDT

Survivor is truly a show for all ages. Viewers from any demographic can easily get sucked into the strategy, the scenery, and the cutthroat competition. But when host and showrunner Jeff Probst is coming up with creative ideas for the program, he's got one age group in mind: kids.

The topic came up at the very end of the latest episode of the On Fire with Jeff Probst podcast during the "This Is Why You Suck" segment, in which the host responds to (often pretty harsh) email complaints about him. This week's entry was a doozy.

"Over the last several years the target audience of Survivor has shifted from being for the fans to being for yourself, Jeff Probst," began the email that was read to the host. "You are too focused on forcing a satisfying ending that you want that comes at the expense of drama and entertainment. Let me go ahead say that the shift from final two to final three is the absolute worst thing that has ever happened to the show. And I'm not the only fan who feels that way. And no, I haven't forgotten about Edge of Extinction, nor the Hourglass. I get that you think it leads to better winners and more unpredictable finishes, but in practice it doesn't really work that way."

Hilariously, the missive — which came from someone named Anthony — actually ended with "the podcast is super insightful and the most I've liked you in years."

Probst began by saying, "People don't think I listen to their criticisms. I do. I have to digest it. It's sometimes personal." He went on to address Anthony's complaint that he only makes the show for himself and… agreed with him!

"I don't think he's wrong in that yes, on some level, I am making Survivor for me," Probst said. "But I will say that my version of the show, for me, is seen through the eyes of kids. So that is my point of view."

It's not uncommon for producers and studio executives to imagine their target audience as they map out stories to make sure they'll satisfy expectations of the people they're trying to reach, but it is unique for a network primetime show of over two decades to have that target audience be so young.

Probst continued, "Everybody knows that works with me, I say, 'Imagine a 7-year-old at home imagining they're the one making fire, they're the one who found an idol.' So when I meet a Survivor family on the street and they say, 'Our kids love the show,' the first thing I say is, "So how do you think you would do in the jungle? Do you think you could sleep with rats crawling all over you when the rain is coming down?' And they always say, 'Yes! I know I could.' That's the adventure that we're putting into their head."

While Probst agreed with the first part of his critic's complaint, he had more trouble understanding other aspects of the email. "I am a bit confused by him saying I am forcing a satisfying result at the expense of entertainment. To me that feels like the same thing — a satisfying ending is entertaining, but maybe he means that I'm forcing new ideas and they're getting in the way of the entertainment."

That's a subject Probst promised to delve into even deeper on next week's episode of the podcast, which will find the host unpacking some of the franchise's most controversial twists. Feel free to count down the seconds until then — if you happen to have an hourglass handy, that is.

Source: https://ew.com/tv/survivor-jeff-probst-for-kids/

--
Brian

Re: Jeff Probst says he makes Survivor for kids

<874jpamd2t.fsf@dataswamp.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=884&group=alt.tv.survivor#884

From: incal@dataswamp.org (Emanuel Berg)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Subject: Re: Jeff Probst says he makes Survivor for kids
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 23:57:30 +0200
 by: Emanuel Berg - Thu, 20 Apr 2023 21:57 UTC

Brian Smith wrote:

> "My version of the show is seen through the eyes of kids.
> So that is my point of view.”

If so, he can relax. Desert island, climbing, running,
sleeping in a shelter you yourself built - if you don't like
that as a kid, something is wrong with you.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Re: Jeff Probst says he makes Survivor for kids

<8c9b52ed-dc30-4fea-b842-a824d1642612n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=889&group=alt.tv.survivor#889

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 17:36:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: rgibbs%telus.net@gtempaccount.com (zeppo)
 by: zeppo - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 00:36 UTC

On Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 2:37:02 PM UTC-7, Brian Smith quoted Dalton Ross:

> Survivor is truly a show for all ages. Viewers from any demographic can easily get sucked into the strategy, the scenery, and the cutthroat competition. But when host and showrunner Jeff >Probst is coming up with creative ideas for the program, he's got one age group in mind: kids.

Yes, I imagine that all of the seven year olds were really yucking it up when Danny passed wind. The only problem is that all the rest of us
had to experience it as well.

Re: Jeff Probst says he makes Survivor for kids

<76fc6a91-c47e-455c-8b3a-81befb6178c8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=890&group=alt.tv.survivor#890

Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:19:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
 by: Brian Smith - Fri, 21 Apr 2023 01:19 UTC

On Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 6:36:29 PM UTC-6, zeppo wrote:
> On Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 2:37:02 PM UTC-7, Brian Smith quoted Dalton Ross:
> > Survivor is truly a show for all ages. Viewers from any demographic can easily get sucked into the strategy, the scenery, and the cutthroat competition. But when host and showrunner Jeff >Probst is coming up with creative ideas for the program, he's got one age group in mind: kids.
> Yes, I imagine that all of the seven year olds were really yucking it up when Danny passed wind. The only problem is that all the rest of us
> had to experience it as well.

LOL! That was such an unexpected moment. I'm sure stuff like that happens all the time but what made them decide to include this particular instance? Take some of the focus off of Carson?

--
Brian