We can embody the truth, but we cannot know it. -- Yates

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023

SubjectAuthor
* Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023Tony Nance
+* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023James Nicoll
+* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|`- Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023Tony Nance
`* Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023Robert Woodward
 `- Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023Tony Nance

1
Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023

<1ce7d90d-4b09-4b72-ac74-f29f456f651bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88624&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88624

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 11:40:01 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023
From: tonynance17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 18:40 UTC

Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023

I used do this every two months, but the JanFeb 2023 post
got too long for my tastes. Since then, I’ve done them monthly,
so I guess it makes more sense to post these whenever I’ve
read “enough”, whatever that is.

I think there are no spoilers, not even minor ones. If something
does seem spoiler-ish, it happens early in the book in question
and is front-and-center.

Books are listed in reverse chronological order from how I read them,
using a very primitive rating system:
“+” are good, and more “+” are better
“-“ are not good, and more “-“ are worse

I’m happy to answer questions about anything on the list.

Highlight - Tsalmoth - Brust [Vlad Taltos #16]

Lowlight - Fire Time - Anderson

Here’s a quick summary of what’s more in-depth below:
( ++ ) Lord of the Isles - Drake [Lord of the Isles #1]
( - ) Mostly Void, Partially Stars: Welcome to Night Vale - Fink & Cranor (Library book - I only read half)
( +++ ) The Forgotten Beasts of Eld - McKillip
( +++ ) Neutron Star - Niven
( ++++ ) Tsalmoth - Brust [Vlad Taltos #16]
( ++ ) The Serpent Mage - Bear [Songs of Earth and Power #2]
AND The Infinity Concerto - Bear [Songs of Earth and Power #1]
( + - ) Fire Time - Anderson
( +++ ) Oath of Fealty - Moon [Paksenarrion #6, or #4, or maybe Paladin’s Legacy #1]

Now Reading:
Long work - Silence in Solitude - Scott [Silence Leigh #2]
Collection - Father Brown Crime Stories - G.K. Chesterton (gonna be a while till I finish this one - lots of stories in here)

==========================================June 2023
( ++ ) Lord of the Isles - Drake [Lord of the Isles #1]
This was good, and it got better as it went. Definitely reads like the first in a longer series. Four youths in a backwater hamlet ultimately get pulled into an age-old fight between good & evil forces. Two older/experience guides come along. Three of the four slowly exhibit previously-unknown magical abilities along the way, and the 4th may be a candidate for the throne of the kingdom. This certainly has a satisfying conclusion, but there is also a lot left unanswered and a lot left to do. It looks like there are 6 books in the series, followed later by another 3. I’ll definitely read #2.

( - ) Mostly Void, Partially Stars: Welcome to Night Vale - Fink & Cranor (Library book - I only read half)
I’d been contemplating reading this off-and-on for many months. When I saw a copy staring at me at the library while waiting for my daughter to check out, I checked it out and brought it home. I can totally see how this would work as an episodic podcast that comes out every two weeks. (I have not listened to said podcasts.) For me it did not work at all in book form, and I gave up half way through. This is set in the remote desert town of Night Vale, and the episodes are radio broadcasts. The humor is kind of Monty Python-esque with a sci-fi/fantasy focus. No show-stoppers there, but it didn’t work for me in print form.

( +++ ) The Forgotten Beasts of Eld - McKillip
Very good! Short and sweet, but still packs a lot of depth; great at setting tone & mood, and the characters are well done. Sybel is the lone child of a widower, and granddaughter of Myk, who called/controlled animals of all types. Living alone (at least, with no other humans), Sybel is quite powerful with the same powers and controls some truly legendary beasts. A man brings her a human baby to care for and she is ultimately dragged into local human world issues.

( +++ ) Neutron Star - Niven
This is an excellent collection in the Known Space universe, which I have read very little of to date. I am very much looking forward to reading more, to the point that I have already picked up Flatlander (collected tales of Gil “the Arm” Hamilton) and Three Books of Known Space.

( ++++ ) Tsalmoth - Brust [Vlad Taltos #16]
This was delightful! I usually don’t like prequels or mid-series inserted stories, but this was an awesome return to the world of younger Vlad.. Near as I can tell (and partly supported by online resources), this book is set between Athyra and Orca (#6 and #7), and Brust perfectly captures the younger Vlad. The plotting is very good — and has significant consequences for the series — and the tone & banter are excellent. The wistful epilogue is perfect. Brust says somewhere online that he expects to write 2-3 more to complete this series, the next of which will come out next year.

( ++ ) The Serpent Mage - Bear [Songs of Earth and Power #2]
AND The Infinity Concerto - Bear [Songs of Earth and Power #1]

This was good. I read this in the single volume called Songs of Earth and Power. Bear’s intro said he rewrote parts so that it would flow as one story as he had initially envisioned it. It’s a pretty interesting story throughout, and the second half was a little better than the first.. Michael Perrin is 16, aspiring to be a poet, and he becomes a friend and confidant of a famous composer. Shortly after the composer passes away, the terms of his will ultimately lead Michael to discover that there is much more to this world, including magic and other worlds. Interesting world-building and an interesting magic system (music/arts based).

( + - ) Fire Time - Anderson
Meh. There’s nothing engaging here at all, and I struggled to finish it. Anubelea is a triple star system (stars named Anu, Bel, and Ea) with all kinds of strange planets and biology. Most of the story is spent on the planet Ishtar with 2 sentient species plus a small number of human scientists. There are millions of pages of political blabbering, thousands on biology, and exactly one page that I would swear was written by Elmer Fudd. Pass.

( +++ ) Oath of Fealty - Moon [Paksenarrion #6, or #4, or maybe Paladin’s Legacy #1]
This was a very enjoyable re-entry into the world of Paksennarion, published 20 years after the conclusion of the original trilogy, and 18 years after the prequel duology focusing on Gird. Paks is present in this story, but she is not the protagonist, as this more closely follows what happens with Duke Phelan immediately after the trilogy conclusion. There are 4 more after this one, and I’ll surely read #2.

Now Reading:
Long work - Silence in Solitude - Scott [Silence Leigh #2]
Collection - Father Brown Crime Stories - G.K. Chesterton (gonna be a while till I finish this one - lots of stories in here)

Tony

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023

<u7v591$4rc$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88627&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88627

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 18:50:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 18:50 UTC

In article <1ce7d90d-4b09-4b72-ac74-f29f456f651bn@googlegroups.com>,
Tony Nance <tonynance17@gmail.com> wrote:

>( +++ ) Neutron Star - Niven
>This is an excellent collection in the Known Space universe, which I
>have read very little of to date. I am very much looking forward to
>reading more, to the point that I have already picked up Flatlander
>(collected tales of Gil “the Arm” Hamilton) and Three Books of
>Known Space.

The bad news is that Neutron Star is by far the best Known Space collection.

>( + - ) Fire Time - Anderson
>Meh. There’s nothing engaging here at all, and I struggled to finish
>it. Anubelea is a triple star system (stars named Anu, Bel, and Ea)
>with all kinds of strange planets and biology. Most of the story is
>spent on the planet Ishtar with 2 sentient species plus a small number
>of human scientists. There are millions of pages of political
>blabbering, thousands on biology, and exactly one page that I would
>swear was written by Elmer Fudd. Pass.

The sad thing is that the book to which it was a sort of sequel
was pretty readable in a Poul Anderson is Grumpy about Liberals
Soft on Commies sort of way, so my expectations were higher than
they should have been. Still, better than The Avatar.

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023

<62b468bc-da3f-4f6b-ae95-0de37107f784n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88629&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88629

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 12:05:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonynance17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:05 UTC

On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 2:50:14 PM UTC-4, James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <1ce7d90d-4b09-4b72...@googlegroups.com>,
> Tony Nance <tonyn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >( +++ ) Neutron Star - Niven
> >This is an excellent collection in the Known Space universe, which I
> >have read very little of to date. I am very much looking forward to
> >reading more, to the point that I have already picked up Flatlander
> >(collected tales of Gil “the Arm” Hamilton) and Three Books of
> >Known Space.
>
> The bad news is that Neutron Star is by far the best Known Space collection.

Duly noted - thank you. I'll report back once I've read more.

> >( + - ) Fire Time - Anderson
> >Meh. There’s nothing engaging here at all, and I struggled to finish
> >it. Anubelea is a triple star system (stars named Anu, Bel, and Ea)
> >with all kinds of strange planets and biology. Most of the story is
> >spent on the planet Ishtar with 2 sentient species plus a small number
> >of human scientists. There are millions of pages of political
> >blabbering, thousands on biology, and exactly one page that I would
> >swear was written by Elmer Fudd. Pass.
>
> The sad thing is that the book to which it was a sort of sequel
> was pretty readable in a Poul Anderson is Grumpy about Liberals
> Soft on Commies sort of way, so my expectations were higher than
> they should have been. Still, better than The Avatar.

I did like The Star Fox (if that's the one you meant). I've kind of got
myself into a box with Anderson. I've read (and mostly enjoyed)
over 50 of his novels and collections, and many years ago
I picked up about 20-30 others at a couple book sales. That said,
I've cherry-picked which ones I've read along the way, and the
remainders are of uneven quality.[1]

Tony
[1] One of which is indeed The Avatar.

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023

<u7v7k3$5dn$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88631&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88631

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:30:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:30 UTC

In article <62b468bc-da3f-4f6b-ae95-0de37107f784n@googlegroups.com>,
Tony Nance <tonynance17@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 2:50:14 PM UTC-4, James Nicoll wrote:
>> In article <1ce7d90d-4b09-4b72...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Tony Nance <tonyn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >( + - ) Fire Time - Anderson
>> >Meh. There’s nothing engaging here at all, and I struggled to finish
>> >it. Anubelea is a triple star system (stars named Anu, Bel, and Ea)
>> >with all kinds of strange planets and biology. Most of the story is
>> >spent on the planet Ishtar with 2 sentient species plus a small number
>> >of human scientists. There are millions of pages of political
>> >blabbering, thousands on biology, and exactly one page that I would
>> >swear was written by Elmer Fudd. Pass.
>>
>> The sad thing is that the book to which it was a sort of sequel
>> was pretty readable in a Poul Anderson is Grumpy about Liberals
>> Soft on Commies sort of way, so my expectations were higher than
>> they should have been. Still, better than The Avatar.
>>

>I did like The Star Fox (if that's the one you meant).

Yup.

> I've kind of got
>myself into a box with Anderson. I've read (and mostly enjoyed)
>over 50 of his novels and collections, and many years ago
>I picked up about 20-30 others at a couple book sales. That said,
>I've cherry-picked which ones I've read along the way, and the
>remainders are of uneven quality.[1]

I still have a large collection of Andersons. 70 or so? He
did some things other authors didn't, like invest large
amounts of time world building places he would never come
back to, as he did in Fire Time. But he has his little quirks.

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023

<kggmt6F8repU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88635&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88635

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 3 Jul 2023 19:46:46 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 19:46 UTC

In article <1ce7d90d-4b09-4b72-ac74-f29f456f651bn@googlegroups.com>,
Tony Nance <tonynance17@gmail.com> wrote:
>Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023

Thanks for these, as usual.

>June 2023
>( ++ ) Lord of the Isles - Drake [Lord of the Isles #1]
>This was good, and it got better as it went. Definitely reads like the
>first in a longer series. Four youths in a backwater hamlet ultimately
>get pulled into an age-old fight between good & evil forces. Two
>older/experience guides come along. Three of the four slowly exhibit
>previously-unknown magical abilities along the way, and the 4th may be a
>candidate for the throne of the kingdom. This certainly has a satisfying
>conclusion, but there is also a lot left unanswered and a lot left to
>do. It looks like there are 6 books in the series, followed later by
>another 3. I'll definitely read #2.

I enjoyed every one of these I read, yet I somehow have not read the
final duology. I'll have to get back to it. Everyone should have a
friend like Cashel.

>( - ) Mostly Void, Partially Stars: Welcome to Night Vale - Fink &
>Cranor (Library book - I only read half)
>I'd been contemplating reading this off-and-on for many months. When I
>saw a copy staring at me at the library while waiting for my daughter to
>check out, I checked it out and brought it home. I can totally see how
>this would work as an episodic podcast that comes out every two weeks.
>(I have not listened to said podcasts.) For me it did not work at all in
>book form, and I gave up half way through. This is set in the remote
>desert town of Night Vale, and the episodes are radio broadcasts. The
>humor is kind of Monty Python-esque with a sci-fi/fantasy focus. No
>show-stoppers there, but it didn't work for me in print form.

I follow the podcast, though I am way behind because I only listen while
I am driving long distances at night. It's excellent though it heads
for over-woke from time-to-time. The broadcaster hero is appealing, but
not perfect which makes him more relatable. There are at least three
Night Vale novels (not episode collections) which I intend to check out
at some point.

>( +++ ) Neutron Star - Niven
>This is an excellent collection in the Known Space universe, which I
>have read very little of to date. I am very much looking forward to
>reading more, to the point that I have already picked up Flatlander
>(collected tales of Gil "The Arm" Hamilton) and Three Books of Known
>Space.

It's been a long time since I've been to Known Space, but in general
I would say these stories are better than the rest, and better than
all the novels, _Ringworld_ partially excepted.

>Now Reading:
>Long work - Silence in Solitude - Scott [Silence Leigh #2]

Liked all the Silence books. Wish she would revisit that setting.

--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023

<robertaw-EA83D6.21570203072023@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88647&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88647

From: robertaw@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2023 21:57:02 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 04:57 UTC

In article <1ce7d90d-4b09-4b72-ac74-f29f456f651bn@googlegroups.com>,
Tony Nance <tonynance17@gmail.com> wrote:

> Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023

<snip>>
> I’m happy to answer questions about anything on the list.
>
> Highlight - Tsalmoth - Brust [Vlad Taltos #16]

<SNIP!>

> ( ++++ ) Tsalmoth - Brust [Vlad Taltos #16]
> This was delightful! I usually don’t like prequels or mid-series inserted
> stories, but this was an awesome return to the world of younger Vlad. Near as
> I can tell (and partly supported by online resources), this book is set
> between Athyra and Orca (#6 and #7), and Brust perfectly captures the younger
> Vlad. The plotting is very good — and has significant consequences for the
> series — and the tone & banter are excellent. The wistful epilogue is
> perfect. Brust says somewhere online that he expects to write 2-3 more to
> complete this series, the next of which will come out next year.

Ahem. It is NOT between _Athyra_ and _Orca_. It is between _Yendi_ and
_Jhereg_ (it is also after the epilogue portion of _Dragon_, since
Aliera has Pathfinder).

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023

<7c9e2f2f-0402-423c-8ed4-dd0fa2e42f28n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88651&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88651

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 04:49:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonynance17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:49 UTC

On Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 12:57:08 AM UTC-4, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <1ce7d90d-4b09-4b72...@googlegroups.com>,
> Tony Nance <tonyn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023
> >
> <snip>>
> > I’m happy to answer questions about anything on the list.
> >
> > Highlight - Tsalmoth - Brust [Vlad Taltos #16]
> >

> <SNIP!>
> >
> > ( ++++ ) Tsalmoth - Brust [Vlad Taltos #16]
> > This was delightful! I usually don’t like prequels or mid-series inserted
> > stories, but this was an awesome return to the world of younger Vlad. Near as
> > I can tell (and partly supported by online resources), this book is set
> > between Athyra and Orca (#6 and #7), and Brust perfectly captures the younger
> > Vlad. The plotting is very good — and has significant consequences for the
> > series — and the tone & banter are excellent. The wistful epilogue is
> > perfect. Brust says somewhere online that he expects to write 2-3 more to
> > complete this series, the next of which will come out next year.
>
> Ahem. It is NOT between _Athyra_ and _Orca_. It is between _Yendi_ and
> _Jhereg_ (it is also after the epilogue portion of _Dragon_, since
> Aliera has Pathfinder).

Whoops! You are so right - thank you.
- Tony

Re: Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023

<4bc39f8f-bc7e-48cc-9af8-968231abc547n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88652&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88652

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2023 04:56:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonynance17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 11:56 UTC

On Monday, July 3, 2023 at 3:46:52 PM UTC-4, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <1ce7d90d-4b09-4b72...@googlegroups.com>,
> Tony Nance <tonyn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023
> >
> Thanks for these, as usual.
> >
> >===========================================
> >June 2023
> >( ++ ) Lord of the Isles - Drake [Lord of the Isles #1]
> >This was good, and it got better as it went. Definitely reads like the
> >first in a longer series. Four youths in a backwater hamlet ultimately
> >get pulled into an age-old fight between good & evil forces. Two
> >older/experience guides come along. Three of the four slowly exhibit
> >previously-unknown magical abilities along the way, and the 4th may be a
> >candidate for the throne of the kingdom. This certainly has a satisfying
> >conclusion, but there is also a lot left unanswered and a lot left to
> >do. It looks like there are 6 books in the series, followed later by
> >another 3. I'll definitely read #2.
> >

> I enjoyed every one of these I read, yet I somehow have not read the
> final duology. I'll have to get back to it. Everyone should have a
> friend like Cashel.

Indeed - I'm very interested to see how his story progresses.

> >( - ) Mostly Void, Partially Stars: Welcome to Night Vale - Fink &
> >Cranor (Library book - I only read half)
> >I'd been contemplating reading this off-and-on for many months. When I
> >saw a copy staring at me at the library while waiting for my daughter to
> >check out, I checked it out and brought it home. I can totally see how
> >this would work as an episodic podcast that comes out every two weeks.
> >(I have not listened to said podcasts.) For me it did not work at all in
> >book form, and I gave up half way through. This is set in the remote
> >desert town of Night Vale, and the episodes are radio broadcasts. The
> >humor is kind of Monty Python-esque with a sci-fi/fantasy focus. No
> >show-stoppers there, but it didn't work for me in print form.
> >

> I follow the podcast, though I am way behind because I only listen while
> I am driving long distances at night. It's excellent though it heads
> for over-woke from time-to-time. The broadcaster hero is appealing, but
> not perfect which makes him more relatable. There are at least three
> Night Vale novels (not episode collections) which I intend to check out
> at some point.

Oh good to know - thanks. I may check one of those out from the library then.

> >( +++ ) Neutron Star - Niven
> >This is an excellent collection in the Known Space universe, which I
> >have read very little of to date. I am very much looking forward to
> >reading more, to the point that I have already picked up Flatlander
> >(collected tales of Gil "The Arm" Hamilton) and Three Books of Known
> >Space.
> >

> It's been a long time since I've been to Known Space, but in general
> I would say these stories are better than the rest, and better than
> all the novels, _Ringworld_ partially excepted.

Thanks - that does seem to be a common sentiment.

> >Now Reading:
> >Long work - Silence in Solitude - Scott [Silence Leigh #2]
>
> Liked all the Silence books. Wish she would revisit that setting.

Me too. I am surprised how long ago these were written - the
third one was published in 1987.

Tony

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Highlights and Lowlights - June 2023