If life is merely a joke, the question still remains: for whose amusement?

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / OT, but totally pegged my sensawunda.

SubjectAuthor
* OT, but totally pegged my sensawunda.pete...@gmail.com
+- Re: OT, but totally pegged my sensawunda.Quadibloc
`* Re: OT, but totally pegged my sensawunda.Robert Carnegie
 `- Re: OT, but totally pegged my sensawunda.Dorothy J Heydt

1
OT, but totally pegged my sensawunda.

<cd77f124-19e9-4a38-9dfb-ca5a418c9303n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88707&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88707

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 06:34:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: OT, but totally pegged my sensawunda.
From: petertrei@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 13:34 UTC

Most of us will remember that in 2016, the LIGO gravity telescope
detected two black holes merging for the first time - the 'chirp' emitted
in the form of gravitational waves as they spiraled in towards each
other was eerie.

Keith Lynch, over on rec.arts.sf.fandom, pointed out something I'd
missed. The merger in 300 ms converted 3 solar masses to
gravitational waves. The energy emitted is very high, even on cosmic
scales - 5*10^43 Joules, and GW150914 briefly emitted more energy
that all the stars in visible universe.

That energy was emitted as gravitational waves, not light. The
'Schwinger limit' which puts a cap in the amount of EM energy
can be in a given volume. This event had 10^5 times that limit.

That merger took place 1.3. billion light years away. When it reached
the Earth, the amount of energy was such that, had it been visible light,
it would have been not only a naked eye event, it would have been 6
times the light of the full moon, and bright enough to read by.

This was an event the magnitude of which would warm the cockles of
Doc. EE Smith's heart. But it was only the first - bigger events have
been seen since.

The Universe is a strange and wondrous place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_observation_of_gravitational_waves

https://gravityphysics.com/2016/02/11/gw150914-enormous-gravitational-wave-energy/

pt

Re: OT, but totally pegged my sensawunda.

<f83ee3ed-6403-477f-8ab1-593033561b20n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88712&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88712

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 06:55:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: OT, but totally pegged my sensawunda.
From: jsavard@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 13:55 UTC

On Thursday, July 6, 2023 at 7:34:18 AM UTC-6, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> > That energy was emitted as gravitational waves, not light. The
> 'Schwinger limit' which puts a cap in the amount of EM energy
> can be in a given volume. This event had 10^5 times that limit.
>
> That merger took place 1.3. billion light years away. When it reached
> the Earth, the amount of energy was such that, had it been visible light,
> it would have been not only a naked eye event, it would have been 6
> times the light of the full moon, and bright enough to read by.

WOW! This is impressive, and well worth knowing.

John Savard

Re: OT, but totally pegged my sensawunda.

<30d2aa07-6354-41b0-944d-33e86218da83n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88716&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88716

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 07:26:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: rja.carnegie@excite.com (Robert Carnegie)
 by: Robert Carnegie - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 14:26 UTC

On Thursday, 6 July 2023 at 14:34:18 UTC+1, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> Most of us will remember that in 2016, the LIGO gravity telescope
> detected two black holes merging for the first time - the 'chirp' emitted
> in the form of gravitational waves as they spiraled in towards each
> other was eerie.
>
> Keith Lynch, over on rec.arts.sf.fandom, pointed out something I'd
> missed. The merger in 300 ms converted 3 solar masses to
> gravitational waves. The energy emitted is very high, even on cosmic
> scales - 5*10^43 Joules, and GW150914 briefly emitted more energy
> that all the stars in visible universe.
>
> That energy was emitted as gravitational waves, not light. The
> 'Schwinger limit' which puts a cap in the amount of EM energy
> can be in a given volume. This event had 10^5 times that limit.
>
> That merger took place 1.3. billion light years away. When it reached
> the Earth, the amount of energy was such that, had it been visible light,
> it would have been not only a naked eye event, it would have been 6
> times the light of the full moon, and bright enough to read by.
>
> This was an event the magnitude of which would warm the cockles of
> Doc. EE Smith's heart. But it was only the first - bigger events have
> been seen since.
>
> The Universe is a strange and wondrous place.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_observation_of_gravitational_waves
>
> https://gravityphysics.com/2016/02/11/gw150914-enormous-gravitational-wave-energy/

Could you clarify "briefly"? There is more than one
reason to not try to read in a lightning storm.
I suppose you have to sometimes, in a certain kind
of movie for instance. Shall I go and check
_The Rocky Horror Picture Show_? I think I won't.

Re: OT, but totally pegged my sensawunda.

<rxDun5.AtB@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88718&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88718

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 16:18:41 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 16:18 UTC

In article <30d2aa07-6354-41b0-944d-33e86218da83n@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Carnegie <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:
>On Thursday, 6 July 2023 at 14:34:18 UTC+1, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Most of us will remember that in 2016, the LIGO gravity telescope
>> detected two black holes merging for the first time - the 'chirp' emitted
>> in the form of gravitational waves as they spiraled in towards each
>> other was eerie.
>>
>> Keith Lynch, over on rec.arts.sf.fandom, pointed out something I'd
>> missed. The merger in 300 ms converted 3 solar masses to
>> gravitational waves. The energy emitted is very high, even on cosmic
>> scales - 5*10^43 Joules, and GW150914 briefly emitted more energy
>> that all the stars in visible universe.
>>
>> That energy was emitted as gravitational waves, not light. The
>> 'Schwinger limit' which puts a cap in the amount of EM energy
>> can be in a given volume. This event had 10^5 times that limit.
>>
>> That merger took place 1.3. billion light years away. When it reached
>> the Earth, the amount of energy was such that, had it been visible light,
>> it would have been not only a naked eye event, it would have been 6
>> times the light of the full moon, and bright enough to read by.
>>
>> This was an event the magnitude of which would warm the cockles of
>> Doc. EE Smith's heart. But it was only the first - bigger events have
>> been seen since.
>>
>> The Universe is a strange and wondrous place.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_observation_of_gravitational_waves
>>

>https://gravityphysics.com/2016/02/11/gw150914-enormous-gravitational-wave-energy/
>
>Could you clarify "briefly"? There is more than one
>reason to not try to read in a lightning storm.
>I suppose you have to sometimes, in a certain kind
>of movie for instance. Shall I go and check
>_The Rocky Horror Picture Show_? I think I won't.

(Hal Heydt)
That datum is in the OP. 300ms.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / OT, but totally pegged my sensawunda.