From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "A History of the Future: A World Made By Hand Novel" by James Howard
Kunstler
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 16:47:12 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 21:47 UTC

"A History of the Future: A World Made By Hand Novel" by James Howard
Kunstler
https://www.amazon.com/History-Future-World-Made-Novel/dp/0802123724/

Book number three of a four book apocalyptic fantasy series. I read the
well printed and well bound trade paperback published by Grove Press in
2015 that I bought new on Amazon. I have bought the fourth book in the
series.

In this alternate reality, oil well fracking was not invented and the
world started running out of crude oil in 2008. Then somebody popped
off a nuclear bomb in Los Angeles and somebody popped off a larger
nuclear bomb in Washington DC. And the world slowed down and the USA
moved back to the 1800s over the next several decades. We were back to
times that the flu and encephalitis killed significant portions of the
population. This series is set roughly in 2030 or 2040. The books are
page turners with short three to five page chapters.

The town of Union Grove, New York has decayed significantly over time.
No cars, either buy a horse or walk where you are going. No electricity
and the farms are worked by hand now. The population is maybe 20% of
what it was at the turn of the century so there are houses standing
empty all over town. All of the older people remember cars, airplanes,
antibiotics, and air conditioning but the young people don't.

It is winter now and things are doing better. There is plenty of food
if you work. Robert Earle's son Daniel came back from his two year
journey across the eastern seaboard and great lakes and into the Foxfire
Republic in Tennessee. But his friend Evan did not make it back with him.

The author has an active website at
https://kunstler.com/
Warning, the author's website is fairly crude.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (652 reviews)

Lynn

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "A History of the Future: A World Made By Hand Novel" by James Howard Kunstler