From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "The Inauguration in the Year 2001"
Date: 10 Jul 2023 16:25:42 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:25 UTC

This appears to be genuine, though the illustrations are new, but
is a semi-serious look forward as printed in the souvenier program
distributed at William McKinley's inauguration in 1901. I would
link the Library of Congress version, but that's a image PDF. This is
more readable, though you do have to wade through or skip the
bloggers comments:

https://graboyes.substack.com/p/longtermism-and-president-barrington

George McKinley Barrington, of the State of Ontario, was
today at high noon invested with the office of President
of the United States of the Americas. The ceremonies attending
the inauguration were the most elaborate in the history of
this country, and were made the more significant as being
the first ceremony of the kind in the Twenty-first Century.
Not less than $10,000,000 was expended on the celebration,
and more than 10,000,000 people witnessed and participated
in the exercises. President Barrington is the tenth Chief
Magistrate to be elected to the new term of eight years,
and he was accorded such a reception as has never before
been witnessed in this city.

The inaugural parade was thirty-six miles in length, and
despite the fact that those participating were carried in
aeroplanes, aerialautos, and other conveyances from the
Mansion of Executives to the Capitol, the line occupied
more than three hours in passing the State aerialtrans, and
slightly delayed the programme as originally proposed.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "The Inauguration in the Year 2001"

<aa90378e-bf7f-42fb-b91f-4ab03bc793dcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88815&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88815

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 12:24:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: "The Inauguration in the Year 2001"
From: petertrei@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Mon, 10 Jul 2023 19:24 UTC

On Monday, July 10, 2023 at 12:25:47 PM UTC-4, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> This appears to be genuine, though the illustrations are new, but
> is a semi-serious look forward as printed in the souvenier program
> distributed at William McKinley's inauguration in 1901. I would
> link the Library of Congress version, but that's a image PDF. This is
> more readable, though you do have to wade through or skip the
> bloggers comments:
>
> https://graboyes.substack.com/p/longtermism-and-president-barrington
>
> George McKinley Barrington, of the State of Ontario, was
> today at high noon invested with the office of President
> of the United States of the Americas. The ceremonies attending
> the inauguration were the most elaborate in the history of
> this country, and were made the more significant as being
> the first ceremony of the kind in the Twenty-first Century.
> Not less than $10,000,000 was expended on the celebration,
> and more than 10,000,000 people witnessed and participated
> in the exercises. President Barrington is the tenth Chief
> Magistrate to be elected to the new term of eight years,
> and he was accorded such a reception as has never before
> been witnessed in this city.
>
> The inaugural parade was thirty-six miles in length, and
> despite the fact that those participating were carried in
> aeroplanes, aerialautos, and other conveyances from the
> Mansion of Executives to the Capitol, the line occupied
> more than three hours in passing the State aerialtrans, and
> slightly delayed the programme as originally proposed.
> --
> columbiaclosings.com
> What's not in Columbia anymore..

Cool!

pt

Re: "The Inauguration in the Year 2001"

<Iw7rM.47498$hfh.33510@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88840&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88840

From: mailbox@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:28:40 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:28 UTC

On Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:25:42 +0000, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

> This appears to be genuine, though the illustrations are new, but is a
> semi-serious look forward as printed in the souvenier program
> distributed at William McKinley's inauguration in 1901. I would link
> the Library of Congress version, but that's a image PDF. This is more
> readable, though you do have to wade through or skip the bloggers
> comments:
>
> https://graboyes.substack.com/p/longtermism-and-president-barrington
>
> George McKinley Barrington, of the State of Ontario, was today at
high
> noon invested with the office of President of the United States
of the
> Americas. The ceremonies attending the inauguration were the most
> elaborate in the history of this country, and were made the more
> significant as being the first ceremony of the kind in the Twenty-
first
> Century. Not less than $10,000,000 was expended on the
celebration, and
> more than 10,000,000 people witnessed and participated in the
> exercises. President Barrington is the tenth Chief Magistrate to
be
> elected to the new term of eight years,
> and he was accorded such a reception as has never before been
witnessed
> in this city.
>
> The inaugural parade was thirty-six miles in length, and despite
the
> fact that those participating were carried in aeroplanes,
aerialautos,
> and other conveyances from the Mansion of Executives to the
Capitol,
> the line occupied more than three hours in passing the State
> aerialtrans, and slightly delayed the programme as originally
proposed.

The prophecy was wrong on at least one count. We don't have a Chamber of
Territories. But I noted two others that came to pass. We have a
Department of Transportation and eventually elected a vice
president named Harris.

Re: "The Inauguration in the Year 2001"

<dd2a77d7-005b-4e26-ad1d-8b557e44cc41n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88854&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88854

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:04:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: petertrei@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Tue, 11 Jul 2023 16:04 UTC

On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 3:28:45 AM UTC-4, Charles Packer wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:25:42 +0000, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>
> > This appears to be genuine, though the illustrations are new, but is a
> > semi-serious look forward as printed in the souvenier program
> > distributed at William McKinley's inauguration in 1901. I would link
> > the Library of Congress version, but that's a image PDF. This is more
> > readable, though you do have to wade through or skip the bloggers
> > comments:
> >
> > https://graboyes.substack.com/p/longtermism-and-president-barrington
> >
> > George McKinley Barrington, of the State of Ontario, was today at
> high
> > noon invested with the office of President of the United States
> of the
> > Americas. The ceremonies attending the inauguration were the most
> > elaborate in the history of this country, and were made the more
> > significant as being the first ceremony of the kind in the Twenty-
> first
> > Century. Not less than $10,000,000 was expended on the
> celebration, and
> > more than 10,000,000 people witnessed and participated in the
> > exercises. President Barrington is the tenth Chief Magistrate to
> be
> > elected to the new term of eight years,
> > and he was accorded such a reception as has never before been
> witnessed
> > in this city.
> >
> > The inaugural parade was thirty-six miles in length, and despite
> the
> > fact that those participating were carried in aeroplanes,
> aerialautos,
> > and other conveyances from the Mansion of Executives to the
> Capitol,
> > the line occupied more than three hours in passing the State
> > aerialtrans, and slightly delayed the programme as originally
> proposed.
> The prophecy was wrong on at least one count. We don't have a Chamber of
> Territories. But I noted two others that came to pass. We have a
> Department of Transportation and eventually elected a vice
> president named Harris.

The had 111 states, and a bunch of territories. I didn't read closely, but
it sounded like the US had spread to all of the American continents.

pt

Re: "The Inauguration in the Year 2001"

<ZWsrM.281497$65y6.201741@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=88872&group=rec.arts.sf.written#88872

From: mailbox@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:50:17 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 07:50 UTC

On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 09:04:27 -0700, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 3:28:45 AM UTC-4, Charles Packer wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:25:42 +0000, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>>
>> > This appears to be genuine, though the illustrations are new, but is
>> > a semi-serious look forward as printed in the souvenier program
>> > distributed at William McKinley's inauguration in 1901. I would link
>> > the Library of Congress version, but that's a image PDF. This is more
>> > readable, though you do have to wade through or skip the bloggers
>> > comments:
>> >
>> > https://graboyes.substack.com/p/longtermism-and-president-barrington
>> >
>> > George McKinley Barrington, of the State of Ontario, was today at
>> high
>> > noon invested with the office of President of the United States
>> of the
>> > Americas. The ceremonies attending the inauguration were the most
>> > elaborate in the history of this country, and were made the more
>> > significant as being the first ceremony of the kind in the Twenty-
>> first
>> > Century. Not less than $10,000,000 was expended on the
>> celebration, and
>> > more than 10,000,000 people witnessed and participated in the
>> > exercises. President Barrington is the tenth Chief Magistrate to
>> be
>> > elected to the new term of eight years,
>> > and he was accorded such a reception as has never before been
>> witnessed
>> > in this city.
>> >
>> > The inaugural parade was thirty-six miles in length, and despite
>> the
>> > fact that those participating were carried in aeroplanes,
>> aerialautos,
>> > and other conveyances from the Mansion of Executives to the
>> Capitol,
>> > the line occupied more than three hours in passing the State
>> > aerialtrans, and slightly delayed the programme as originally
>> proposed.
>> The prophecy was wrong on at least one count. We don't have a Chamber
>> of Territories. But I noted two others that came to pass. We have a
>> Department of Transportation and eventually elected a vice president
>> named Harris.
>
> The had 111 states, and a bunch of territories. I didn't read closely,
> but it sounded like the US had spread to all of the American continents.
>
> pt

The Associated Press pointed this out in a January 1997 when it
dug up the pamphlet for a feature article associated with Clinton's
second inauguration -- the last inauguration of the
20th century. The article ran in 22 papers around the U.S.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "The Inauguration in the Year 2001"