It is a poor judge who cannot award a prize.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)

SubjectAuthor
* TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Codigo Postal
`* TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Joseph Bardsley
 `* TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Codigo Postal
  `* TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Joseph Bardsley
   `* TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Codigo Postal
    +* TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Joseph Bardsley
    |`* TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Codigo Postal
    | `* TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Joseph Bardsley
    |  `* TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Codigo Postal
    |   +- TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Joseph Bardsley
    |   +- TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Codigo Postal
    |   +- TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Velvet Glove
    |   +- TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Joseph Bardsley
    |   `- TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Velvet Glove
    `- TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)Joseph Bardsley

1
Re: TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)

<bed61ca1-500e-493c-b500-ce26e3020845n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7806&group=alt.toys.transformers#7806

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 15:15:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)
From: joe.bardsley@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Sun, 14 May 2023 22:15 UTC

On Wednesday, May 10, 2023 at 1:02:30 AM UTC-7, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> On Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 5:42:07 AM UTC-7, Codigo Postal wrote:

> > > OK - it's a plan. Let me see what I've got kicking around on the old hard drive this weekend. Will post something shortly!
> > >
> > > Also, agreed about Nightwind, btw, as well as the thoughtful brevity of Kendrick's TF:Weekday reviews. I love them.
> > >
> > > Meant to ask you, Codigo - are you on Facebook at all? TransMasters has had something of a resurgence on that platform, and is now an active group. You'd be most welcome to participate!
> > >
> > > JB
> > Thanks JB! Not on FB or any kind of social media - but may have to check it out! Do you know if they've made their archives and old issues accessible? I'm having a deuce of a time trying to track down the old PDFs they used to have on their website.
> Let me check with my friend (and fellow Canuck) Tony Klepack, who is the group admin and de facto club leader. Will report back this week! A bunch of old-timers are active there, so I am hopeful that this will be a simple thing to look into.
>
> More from me soon -
>
> JB

Click here to read the complete article
Re: TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)

<109efd06-6ee8-47c6-bc44-5faa49fa6fb9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7807&group=alt.toys.transformers#7807

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 11:59:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopostal959@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Mon, 15 May 2023 18:59 UTC

<902b22b4-9b20-4ec9-ac84-2909aae768bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7840&group=alt.toys.transformers#7840

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 00:08:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bardsley@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Tue, 23 May 2023 07:08 UTC

<6a77a2fc-3820-4486-a062-031415406dd6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7841&group=alt.toys.transformers#7841

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 13:08:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopostal959@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Tue, 23 May 2023 20:08 UTC

<ac125f48-ad6f-47fe-a4de-4011b048b994n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7845&group=alt.toys.transformers#7845

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 21:16:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bardsley@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Wed, 24 May 2023 04:16 UTC

<9c71655d-9ac5-4a59-b405-cfb36d690aa9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=7995&group=alt.toys.transformers#7995

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 03:11:11 -0700 (PDT)
<03c50aa0-956c-496c-8119-92dff1678c80o@googlegroups.com> <3e27fb8f-a0ed-41a4-ae5d-c931821f5282o@googlegroups.com>
<5cef8bab-c87a-4cc9-9c8e-33bc5f8c9ccco@googlegroups.com> <971d5d10-d1eb-41d2-8265-9d05fbb0216fn@googlegroups.com>
<028834b2-3e11-47f1-94ad-057643c76b06n@googlegroups.com> <29bca11e-0792-454f-a456-8270ae25e84dn@googlegroups.com>
<7d33c10b-51d0-416e-8391-5a291864ecaan@googlegroups.com> <d828d218-f8f7-4ac7-a9a9-be209177e500n@googlegroups.com>
<ea10e5ac-143e-48b3-9743-b5acbd6b16ddn@googlegroups.com> <021e9c98-b6e2-40a7-b31f-2d8680fd1594n@googlegroups.com>
<fedf54ac-c370-4ff7-940e-08bb10a1d98dn@googlegroups.com> <589192a3-704c-462c-a5b1-95869e08047en@googlegroups.com>
<bed61ca1-500e-493c-b500-ce26e3020845n@googlegroups.com> <109efd06-6ee8-47c6-bc44-5faa49fa6fb9n@googlegroups.com>
<902b22b4-9b20-4ec9-ac84-2909aae768bcn@googlegroups.com> <6a77a2fc-3820-4486-a062-031415406dd6n@googlegroups.com>
<ac125f48-ad6f-47fe-a4de-4011b048b994n@googlegroups.com>
From: codigopostal959@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Wed, 28 Jun 2023 10:11 UTC

<af6a2cd8-4461-42b9-9d21-2acfd1fdb512n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8004&group=alt.toys.transformers#8004

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 07:27:48 -0700 (PDT)
<ac125f48-ad6f-47fe-a4de-4011b048b994n@googlegroups.com> <9c71655d-9ac5-4a59-b405-cfb36d690aa9n@googlegroups.com>
From: kernowmogs@gmail.com (Velvet Glove)
 by: Velvet Glove - Thu, 29 Jun 2023 14:27 UTC

I am all about a fanfic reading club, but this thread is insanely long and confusing. Can we have a clean topic for next time? Or should we each post our own thoughts in a new conversation?

Anyway, I'm in agreement with Codigo that the FAQ really does preserve a slice of online life that modern internet users don't know, and that's what's so compelling about it. I didn't get into the TF fandom until 2001 / 2002, so a lot of this goes over my head, but I'm of the so called Star Wars generation who got online when we went to university--which I did in 1996--so a lot of this stuff resonates hard even if I wasn't aware of the fandom at the time.

BTW, do we really not say 'Transfan' anymore? I always think of it as 'Transfandom'.

On Wednesday, June 28, 2023 at 11:11:12 AM UTC+1, Codigo Postal wrote:
> - The very first question is so telling (1. Why don't you guys go and get a life?). There are millions more TF fans globally than ever - it's safe to say that TF is mainstream, for all ages, sexes, and races to enjoy. A far cry from the days when hanging on to your childhood memories marked you as immature to the outside world.

The other side of this is that the internet is mainstream now. I don't know if anybody else had this experience, discovering an online world in the 90s (and probably early noughties as well), but it was a revelation for me. This medium where I could geek out with people in a text-based community, absolutely transformed how I saw myself and my interpersonal skills. Before I got into the TF fandom I used to roleplay on a MOO, and looking back at it, I suspect most of us were on the autism spectrum, or otherwise neurodivergent, but undiagnosed.

It was also a time before social media and profile pics, and in the fandoms I frequented, people had net-handles rather than use their real names. I think one of the things that surprised me about ATT and some of the other old-school TF-fandom was the amount of people who did just go by their RL names, because I was so used to the anonymity--and I liked being able to compartmentalise my life, having a different username for each fandom.

But anyway, the defensive tone of the first question throws me back to those social insecurities of my late teens and early twenties when I never wanted to admit what my hobbies were--or how OTT I went about them; I never could do anything by halves. I think these days, when everybody is online, geekery has been normalised to some extent.

On the other hand, I've never been able to recapture the freedom I felt in my first decade online. As the majority of people have moved away from text and into pictures, videos, and soundbites, it's harder to find the interactions that really stimulate me. I have a compulsion to be longwinded, in case you hadn't noticed.

> And of course, Zobovor, who essentially keeps this place alive (it's his blog, and we're just posting on it).

This made me smile, because it's too true.

Me, one week ago: "I should go check if ATT is still around. I bet Zob is still posting."

> - I was about to bemoan the death of fanfiction, MUSHes, and the like, but then, the fandom continues to express its creativity in a million other ways on and offline.

Yeah, this ties into what I said about the majority of people moving away from text based fandom. Though I know the MOO I used to play on 25 years ago is still going (I've no idea how active it is, but it's still out there!). I hadn't really thought about the fanfic stuff, I'd just vaguely assumed that like me, people had grown up and had kids and didn't have time to write a polished 15,000 word story anymore. But it does seem like the next generation isn't writing as much fic, which is a shame. I'm glad Lexicon is still online, but it feels so *historical*; I remember checking it daily for new fics, way back when. I was really tickled by the section of the FAQ which talked about compiling every fanfic in existence. I wonder how long that lasted... I don't think it would have been possible when I was writing, around 2002-2008.

> Mostly, the FAQ is a reminder of a more innocent time when TF was still niche, but the fans were truly passionate, and I firmly believe that it's the passion of the fans and the support they showed for the brand that set the stage for both the return of TFs, and the worldwide success that it enjoys today.

That and the fact that us kids of the 80s are all middle-aged now and ruling Hollywood. OK, we're not all ruling Hollywood, but there's a lot of people driving pop culture who were groomed at a tender age to think transforming robots are cool. I'm always amused by how many shows my kids watch have these geeky 80s references, just because nobody's stopping the writers throwing them in. That said, the TF fandom always blew me away for how organised it was in consolidating and promoting their experience of TFs. You call it a niche fandom, but it was much larger than the ones I'd dabbled in before then.

Velvet Glove (getting my text-fix)

Re: TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)

<f8bd8b65-02d2-43cd-b7a2-3d37e7109d27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8011&group=alt.toys.transformers#8011

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 02:05:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bardsley@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 09:05 UTC

On Thursday, June 29, 2023 at 7:27:50 AM UTC-7, Velvet Glove wrote:
> [...]
> That and the fact that us kids of the 80s are all middle-aged now and ruling Hollywood. OK, we're not all ruling Hollywood, but there's a lot of people driving pop culture who were groomed at a tender age to think transforming robots are cool. I'm always amused by how many shows my kids watch have these geeky 80s references, just because nobody's stopping the writers throwing them in. That said, the TF fandom always blew me away for how organised it was in consolidating and promoting their experience of TFs. You call it a niche fandom, but it was much larger than the ones I'd dabbled in before then.

Yes, this thread has gotten super cumbersome - mostly on account of it turning four years old this long weekend. :)

A bit of background: I'm also a words person, Velvet Glove, and - for me - TF fanfic has always been a real conduit into the fandom. I have vivid memories of the original FTP site, run by James Hoxsey, at Oakland, back in 1994/95, and the plethora of TF stories it contained. Most of the authors were absolutely those "early adopters" of the Internet - people whose Net access coincided with their starting university - and I really think that that fact was reflected in the quality of the writing, by and large. A lot of the TF fanfic of the early to mid-90s was really excellent, and reflected an earnest time where it really was all that we had to keep the story moving forward. Many of these stories made a real impact on me.

Over the years, I've archived a lot of these stories, and, back in 2018/19, started sharing them again here (with full credit to their original authors in all cases). I feel like, even if the author has long since moved on (or passed away, unfortunately, as has been the case in more than a few instances), the work itself stands alone, and deserves to be experienced by new readers (or enjoyed by folks who had read the stories in the past).

We've been discussing the stories themselves on a pretty casual basis, and it's been a lot of fun. Some of my absolute faves (Raksha's stories; Kendrick's "Human Urges" novella; Belinda Kelly's sprawling and extremely atmospheric "Andraxus" epic, Zob's work, Rob Jung's fantastic pieces, etc.) continue to feel vital, fresh, and relevant, and I really love the discussions that emerge.

So - that's where we've been. Happy to pick another vintage story and repost in a new thread!

Joseph (fondly remembers his years spent living the lives of Perceptor, Onslaught, and Ratbat on TLY, TF:DD, and TF:2K5, respectively...)

Re: TRANSFORMERS FANFIC READING CUB #4: "Stunticons: Black Sunshine" (1994)

<eb285954-078a-4e6e-891b-fe4c84f9f30bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8020&group=alt.toys.transformers#8020

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 05:10:16 -0700 (PDT)
<af6a2cd8-4461-42b9-9d21-2acfd1fdb512n@googlegroups.com> <f8bd8b65-02d2-43cd-b7a2-3d37e7109d27n@googlegroups.com>
From: kernowmogs@gmail.com (Velvet Glove)
 by: Velvet Glove - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 12:10 UTC

On Saturday, July 1, 2023 at 10:05:55 AM UTC+1, Joseph Bardsley wrote:

> A bit of background: I'm also a words person, Velvet Glove, and - for me - TF fanfic has always been a real conduit into the fandom. I have vivid memories of the original FTP site, run by James Hoxsey, at Oakland, back in 1994/95, and the plethora of TF stories it contained. Most of the authors were absolutely those "early adopters" of the Internet - people whose Net access coincided with their starting university - and I really think that that fact was reflected in the quality of the writing, by and large. A lot of the TF fanfic of the early to mid-90s was really excellent, and reflected an earnest time where it really was all that we had to keep the story moving forward. Many of these stories made a real impact on me.

Ooh, that's a really good point. It's so easy to forget that at one point none of us were seriously expecting more TF canon. It seems that there's always some new bit of fiction out now, whether comic, show, movie, video game....

> Over the years, I've archived a lot of these stories, and, back in 2018/19, started sharing them again here (with full credit to their original authors in all cases). I feel like, even if the author has long since moved on (or passed away, unfortunately, as has been the case in more than a few instances), the work itself stands alone, and deserves to be experienced by new readers (or enjoyed by folks who had read the stories in the past).

That's so cool. I kept an archive of my own stuff, but it never occurred to me to save other people's stories, and now most of those websites are long lost. Well done for your foresight!

> So - that's where we've been. Happy to pick another vintage story and repost in a new thread!

Yay!

> Joseph (fondly remembers his years spent living the lives of Perceptor, Onslaught, and Ratbat on TLY, TF:DD, and TF:2K5, respectively...)

Damn straight. Never TF MUSHed, but there was this one character on a MOO I played for nine years (before regretfully concluding I no longer had the time and killing her off rather than fading away)... She and her world were such a huge, fun and amazing part of my life. Every bit as fantastic an experience as doing some instagram-worthy holiday stunt.

Velvet Glove (geek to the core)

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8944&group=alt.toys.transformers#8944

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 3 May 2023 19:01:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopostal959@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Thu, 4 May 2023 02:01 UTC

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8946&group=alt.toys.transformers#8946

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 01:31:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bardsley@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Thu, 4 May 2023 08:31 UTC

joe.bardsley@gmail.com

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8948&group=alt.toys.transformers#8948

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 4 May 2023 19:41:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopostal959@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Fri, 5 May 2023 02:41 UTC

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8951&group=alt.toys.transformers#8951

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 5 May 2023 21:56:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bardsley@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Sat, 6 May 2023 04:56 UTC

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8952&group=alt.toys.transformers#8952

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 6 May 2023 05:42:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopostal959@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Sat, 6 May 2023 12:42 UTC

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=8974&group=alt.toys.transformers#8974

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 01:02:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bardsley@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Wed, 10 May 2023 08:02 UTC