From: dvandom@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers,rec.arts.comics.misc
Subject: Dave's Comics Capsules for December 2023
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 21:27:32 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: dvandom@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
 by: Dave Van Domelen - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 21:27 UTC

Dave's Comicbook Capsules Et Cetera
Generally Monthly Picks and Pans of Comics and Related Media

Standard Disclaimers: Please set appropriate followups. Recommendation does
not factor in price. Not all books will have arrived in your area this month.
An archive can be found on my homepage, http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/Rants
Yay, I get to have my house's foundation leveled next year.

Items of Note (strongly recommended or otherwise worthy): My Little Pony
Classics Reimagned: Unicorn of Odd #3 (of 4)

In this installment: Adventure Finders Book 3 Episode 15 Extended, I'm
In Love With The Villainess vol 1-5, The Illustrated Guide to Monster Girls
vol 2, Chainsaw Man vol 13, Mr. Comics and the Hey Comics Kids, The Amazing
Cynicalman vol 1-2, Animorphs the Graphic Novel vol 4: The Message, Fantastic
Four #13-14, Moon Knight #29, Superman Lost #8 (of 10), Transformers #2-3,
Vampirella/Dracula Rage #3 (of 6), Mech Cadets #4, My Little Pony Classics
Reimagined: Unicorn of Odd #3 (of 4).

"Other Media" Capsules:

Things that are comics-related but not necessarily comics (i.e.
comics-based movies like Iron Man or Hulk), or that aren't going to be
available via comic shops (like comic pack-ins with DVDs) will go in this
section when I have any to mention. They may not be as timely as comic
reviews, especially if I decide to review novels that take me a week or two
(or ten) to get around to.

Nothing this month. What If? Season 2 started up at the end of the
month, and so far seems to be avoiding the "build towards a big event" thing
that Season 1 did, but either way I won't review it this month.

Digital Content:

Unless I find a really compelling reason to do so (such as a lack of
regular comics), I won't be turning this into a webcomic review column.
Rather, stuff in this section will generally be full books available for
reading online or for download, usually for pay.

Adventure Finders Book 3 Episode 15 Extended: Patreon.com - Turns out
that there was so much content planned for this episode that it couldn't be
finished in a month, so the completed version was posted this month. Most of
the new pages are fight scene in which the rather OP-by-now heroes wipe the
floor with Arokian troops...just in time for the REAL cliffhanger.
Recommended. $2/month or more on Patreon.

Trades:

Trade paperbacks, collections, graphic novels, pocket manga, whatever.
If it's bigger than a "floppy" it goes here.

I'm In Love With The Villainess vol 1-5: Seven Seas Entertainment - This
month's "try a new series based on the anime screencaps on Tumblr" is another
isekai. But unlike Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear or the Great Cleric, where the
protagonists end up in an MMO-like world that is otherwise new to them, Rae
Taylor ends up inside a dating sim that she's OBSESSED with. Like, to the
point of being able to write a doctoral dissertation on the economics of the
fictional setting (but using that info to write fanfic instead). It's a
dating sim that includes magical combat, so there's plenty of action scenes.
The key conceit here is that Rae is gay. So she has no interest in any of
the three princes she's supposed to go after, and instead is very unhealthily
obsessed with the noblewoman rival in the game. And therein lies the
problematic aspect of the book, for all that it's otherwise light romantic
comedy that pushes cringe all the way through to absurdist comedy. She's
more than a little stalkery, plus she appears to have a humiliation fetish.
As the story progresses and Rae tries to bend the rules of the game to let
her be with Miss Claire (or at least avoid any of the Princes), she starts to
run into the problem that the more successful she is at changing things, the
less useful her detailed knowledge of the game becomes, and she starts to get
surprised by events. She's still magically very OP (only one person can
really beat her in a fight, and that person is a guest star in volume 5), but
it's a dating sim not a combat-focused game. We do get to hear her internal
monologue, especially when she's deliberately lying to people about things
about which she has special knowledge, and this does slowly humanize her a
bit. Volume 5 is the real turning point, though, which conveniently also
provides the setting with someone who is way more problematic than Rae while
at the same time providing Rae a dark mirror to convince her to change her
ways. Basically, if you can get through volume 1's pervy creeper gags, it
becomes an interesting maybe-doomed love story about trying to fight a fate
that's literally hard-coded into reality. Recommended with the caveat that
if a male protagonist did what Rae does this would probably not have been as
successful due to reader/viewer revulsion. $12.99/$16.99Cn rated Teen 13+
(some tastefully obscured nudity and a lot of creepy stalker stuff).

The Illustrated Guide to Monster Girls vol 2: Yen Press - Eh, I think
I'll be giving up on this one. After setting up the premise (extremely
stupid and incompetent high school students but they're monsters at monster
school) in the first volume, this doesn't do much new with them, or even
really introduce much in the way of new characters or concepts. In fact, the
cast is slightly trimmed down. It's goofy misadventures with a lot of
"harmless" gore since the characters revive when killed (but forget most of
the stuff that happened that day, leading to a vicious cycle of poor
performance), and a bit more focus is on the rival teachers (well, one-sided
rivalry), but...it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. I suppose if vol 3
comes out during a bit of a manga drought for me I might grab it, but I can't
really recommend the series much at this point. Mildly recommended, and
mostly for those who like slapstick gore. $13.00/$17.00Cn rated older teen
13+.

Chainsaw Man vol 13: Viz/Shonen Jump - The title character gets a bit
more time this volume, but it's still mostly about the War Devil and Justice
Devil. The ending of vol 11 felt like it had plans for Chainsaw interacting
with the new Control Devil, but either that was a deliberate fake-out, I
mis-read it, or the writer just got a new idea and abandoned the old one.
What is effectively the second episode of season 2 continues to...not really
grab me. I'll give it another volume or two, but it feels like the creator
has decided to write a different series in the same setting and it just
doesn't interest me as much. Very mildly recommended.
$11.99/$15.99Cn/#8.99UK, rated Older Teen.

Mr. Comics and the Hey Comics Kids: Xylophone Media - The strips
collected here started being posted weekly on cynicalman.com, so I scrolled
down to the very 90s website store section and bought this (as well as the
two collections below while I was at it). They were originally done for a
zine called Hey Kids Comics! (hence Xylophone Media and not Not Available
Books), and it's kinda like McCloud's Understanding Comics but pitched for a
younger age group. It mixes explanations of comics tropes and visual
storytelling with examples of such things (like a race to the bottom of the
page which is won by the person who started on the left side of the top
panel, because we read left to right). It includes a glued-in copy of
Cynicalman #1, since Mr. Comics is the teacher who got stepped on by Godzilla
at the end of that story. Recommended. $6.99, free shipping if ordered
direct from cynicalman.com.

The Amazing Cynicalman vol 1-2: Not Available Books - These are
collections of newspaper strips Feazell did for the local Hamtramck and Flint
newspapers around 2000 (vol 1) and 2010 (vol 2), with the gap being due to
other non-comic projects. On the one hand, there's a lot of Local Interest
stuff in here, compared to the more general "parody of superhero comics"
stuff in other Cynicalman comics. On the other hand, a lot of these
local-to-Hamtramck issues are pretty broadly applicable to people who live in
the U.S. or Canada. Despite, or perhaps because of, Feazell's minimalist
stick figure style, these are pretty dense reads, in part because any details
that DO exist are probably worth paying attention to. However, the origin as
a weekly mostly non-continuity strip means you can read this in whatever size
bites you want, there's no momentum to gain or lose. Recommended. $20 as a
set with free shipping from cynicalman.com.

Animorphs the Graphic Novel vol 4: The Message: Scholastic - I think
this'll be my last installment of this one too. I'd mostly gotten interested
in Animorphs through the Transformers crossover toys twenty some years ago,
and figured I'd get the basics from these instead of doing the prose novels.
With the arrival of Axe this volume, the basic cast and most of their bits of
business are in place, but I don't find the story (or at least its delivery)
compelling enough to want to see more. Especially since "more" is
potentially Dragonball-length even if they only adapt the existing books.
Mildly recommended. $12.99/$16.99Cn

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Dave's Comics Capsules for December 2023

<87d8e249c4184b2a44b23572899c60ee@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9152&group=alt.toys.transformers#9152

From: evil.king.macrocranios@gmail.com (GoBackaTron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Re: Dave's Comics Capsules for December 2023
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 00:05:19 +0000
 by: GoBackaTron - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 00:05 UTC

Dave Van Domelen wrote:

> Transformers #2-3: Image/Skybound -
>........ I'm dropping this from my pull, although the terms of
> my pull mean I'll probably get a couple more issues. Dunno if I'll bother
> reviewing them, though. Avoid. $3.99 each.

I was shocked that one of the biggest most legendary TF fans I've ever known of online has this reaction to the new comics. It really shook me that you'd tell people to avoid it outright. I was blown away by this. I've taken some time to think about it because I was having fun with the book.

What kills me is paying 8 bucks a copy at my local comic shop for the covers I want. So for the moment I am a scummy online comic pirate. I will avoid it, yes-I will avoid paying for it. Maybe when the trade comes out.