Newsgroups: rec.music.bluenote
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 17:43:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Miles Davis & John Coltrane vs. Jerry Maguire
From: oker8berg@gmail.com (Tyler Smith)
 by: Tyler Smith - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 00:43 UTC

On Wednesday, February 5, 1997 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, Neil B McLaughlin wrote:
> > YES!! And don't forget the way Tom Cruise said "what the HELL is this
> > music?" while listening to Mingus. I'm not sure what this says about
> > mainstream views toward jazz, but certainly somebody responsible for the
> > movies' script has some personal problem with jazz. I cant imagine too
> > many people having this opinion though.
> Script was written by director Cameron Crowe, who also wrote and directed
> Singles, which features Blue Train in a cool moment of that film, even
> though the film is about the Seattle music scene in the late
> eighties/early nineties or so. So Crowe likes jazz and puts it in his
> films, even though they be not about jazz.
> The fact that he bothered to put it in shows he's behind it, regardless of
> Cruise's line dissing it, which probably got a good hoot out of Crowe for
> its irony: here I am writing and making a movie, putting the tunes I want
> in it, and having my star speak lines dissing it.
> It's just a goof, folks. Not a bad one either.
> Crowe also directed Say Anything. All the films mentioned in this post are
> worth seeing.
> Neil
I don't think he said, "what the hell is this music?" He said, "what is this music?" I paid particular attention to that in rewatching the movie because I recall on first watching being irritated by the film's treatment of jazz. He seemed more bemused than irritated. For a character who probably never had heard a not of jazz in his life, that seemed believable. The stupid error about Miles and Trane playing together in '63 was a really ridiculous unforced errors, though.