If we don't survive, we don't do anything else. -- John Sinclair

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews

SubjectAuthor
* "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona AndrewsLynn McGuire
`* Re: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona AndrewsTony Nance
 +* Re: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrewsted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
 |+- Re: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona AndrewsLynn McGuire
 |`- Re: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona AndrewsDefault User
 `* Re: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona AndrewsLynn McGuire
  `- Re: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona AndrewsTony Nance

1
"Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews

<ugkugo$2nfu4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=91485&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91485

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 22:19:50 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 03:19 UTC

"Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1641971371

Book number five of a six book paranormal fantasy romance science
fiction series. Please note that this book is a novella, not a full
length novel. I read the well printed and well bound POD (print on
demand) illustrated (kinda) trade paperback published in 2020 by the
Nancy Yost Literary Agency that I bought new on Amazon recently. Note
that “Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband and wife writing
team. And yes, this is science fiction, there are spaceships,
teleportation devices, beam weapons, and space stations.

BTW, this series is very much like "The Princess Bride" book. A lot of
magic, a lot of good old human sweat and tears, many good guys, and
quite a few bad guys. Ah yeah, maces and swords. And poison.

Dina Demille is an innkeeper in Red Deer, Texas. Only her Victorian inn
is not like a typical bed and breakfast, it is an intelligent magical
haven named Gertrude Hunt for aliens coming to Earth or using Earth as a
way station. Dina does have a permanent guest, a retired Galactic
aristocrat named Caldenia who is hiding from several bounty hunters, who
paid for permanent room and board.

There are many inns like the Gertrude Hunt on Earth, that is because
Earth has been designated as Neutral Ground for the various Galactic
races, many of whom don't get along. That's why Caldenia is safe within
the confines of Gertrude Hunt, the inn has many powerful weapons to
protect itself and guests. Several of the bounty hunters are still
chasing Caldenia for the massive bounty and have taken on the Gertrude
Hunt Inn to their dismay.

Every winter, Innkeepers look forward to celebrating their own special
holiday, which commemorates the ancient treaty that united the very
first Inns and established the rules that protect them, their
intergalactic guests, and the very unaware/oblivious people of [planet]
Earth. By tradition, the Innkeepers welcomed three guests: a warrior, a
sage, and a pilgrim, but during the holiday, Innkeepers must open their
doors to anyone who seeks lodging. Anyone.

The authors have a website at:
https://www.ilona-andrews.com

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (9,902 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews

<9f991a1f-44ee-421f-855d-0587f3e88d1an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=91527&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91527

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 13:45:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonynance17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 20:45 UTC

On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 11:19:59 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1641971371
>
> Book number five of a six book paranormal fantasy romance science
> fiction series. Please note that this book is a novella, not a full
> length novel. I read the well printed and well bound POD (print on
> demand) illustrated (kinda) trade paperback published in 2020 by the
> Nancy Yost Literary Agency that I bought new on Amazon recently. Note
> that “Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband and wife writing
> team. And yes, this is science fiction, there are spaceships,
> teleportation devices, beam weapons, and space stations.
>
> BTW, this series is very much like "The Princess Bride" book. A lot of
> magic, a lot of good old human sweat and tears, many good guys, and
> quite a few bad guys. Ah yeah, maces and swords. And poison.
>
> Dina Demille is an innkeeper in Red Deer, Texas. Only her Victorian inn
> is not like a typical bed and breakfast, it is an intelligent magical
> haven named Gertrude Hunt for aliens coming to Earth or using Earth as a
> way station. Dina does have a permanent guest, a retired Galactic
> aristocrat named Caldenia who is hiding from several bounty hunters, who
> paid for permanent room and board.
>
> There are many inns like the Gertrude Hunt on Earth, that is because
> Earth has been designated as Neutral Ground for the various Galactic
> races, many of whom don't get along. That's why Caldenia is safe within
> the confines of Gertrude Hunt, the inn has many powerful weapons to
> protect itself and guests. Several of the bounty hunters are still
> chasing Caldenia for the massive bounty and have taken on the Gertrude
> Hunt Inn to their dismay.
>
> Every winter, Innkeepers look forward to celebrating their own special
> holiday, which commemorates the ancient treaty that united the very
> first Inns and established the rules that protect them, their
> intergalactic guests, and the very unaware/oblivious people of [planet]
> Earth. By tradition, the Innkeepers welcomed three guests: a warrior, a
> sage, and a pilgrim, but during the holiday, Innkeepers must open their
> doors to anyone who seeks lodging. Anyone.
>
> The authors have a website at:
> https://www.ilona-andrews.com

Thanks for reviewing these - I've been on the fence about reading them,
but given your reviews and how much I enjoy their Kate Daniels series,
I'm going to try out the first one for sure.

Tony

Re: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews

<kpdl9qFkftmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=91528&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91528

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 19 Oct 2023 21:27:22 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 21:27 UTC

In article <9f991a1f-44ee-421f-855d-0587f3e88d1an@googlegroups.com>,
Tony Nance <tonynance17@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 11:19:59 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1641971371
>>
>> Book number five of a six book paranormal fantasy romance science
>> fiction series. Please note that this book is a novella, not a full
>> length novel. I read the well printed and well bound POD (print on
>> demand) illustrated (kinda) trade paperback published in 2020 by the
>> Nancy Yost Literary Agency that I bought new on Amazon recently. Note
>> that “Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband and wife writing
>> team. And yes, this is science fiction, there are spaceships,
>> teleportation devices, beam weapons, and space stations.
>>
>> BTW, this series is very much like "The Princess Bride" book. A lot of
>> magic, a lot of good old human sweat and tears, many good guys, and
>> quite a few bad guys. Ah yeah, maces and swords. And poison.
>>
>> Dina Demille is an innkeeper in Red Deer, Texas. Only her Victorian inn
>> is not like a typical bed and breakfast, it is an intelligent magical
>> haven named Gertrude Hunt for aliens coming to Earth or using Earth as a
>> way station. Dina does have a permanent guest, a retired Galactic
>> aristocrat named Caldenia who is hiding from several bounty hunters, who
>> paid for permanent room and board.
>>
>> There are many inns like the Gertrude Hunt on Earth, that is because
>> Earth has been designated as Neutral Ground for the various Galactic
>> races, many of whom don't get along. That's why Caldenia is safe within
>> the confines of Gertrude Hunt, the inn has many powerful weapons to
>> protect itself and guests. Several of the bounty hunters are still
>> chasing Caldenia for the massive bounty and have taken on the Gertrude
>> Hunt Inn to their dismay.
>>
>> Every winter, Innkeepers look forward to celebrating their own special
>> holiday, which commemorates the ancient treaty that united the very
>> first Inns and established the rules that protect them, their
>> intergalactic guests, and the very unaware/oblivious people of [planet]
>> Earth. By tradition, the Innkeepers welcomed three guests: a warrior, a
>> sage, and a pilgrim, but during the holiday, Innkeepers must open their
>> doors to anyone who seeks lodging. Anyone.
>>
>> The authors have a website at:
>> https://www.ilona-andrews.com
>>

>Thanks for reviewing these - I've been on the fence about reading them,
>but given your reviews and how much I enjoy their Kate Daniels series,
>I'm going to try out the first one for sure.
>
>Tony

In general they are a bit more whimsical (the one featuring the other sister
in vampire space is the most "Kate"), but solid & enjoyable.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews

<ugs9lc$jeir$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=91529&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91529

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 17:12:59 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 22:12 UTC

On 10/19/2023 4:27 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <9f991a1f-44ee-421f-855d-0587f3e88d1an@googlegroups.com>,
> Tony Nance <tonynance17@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 11:19:59 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews
>>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1641971371
>>>
>>> Book number five of a six book paranormal fantasy romance science
>>> fiction series. Please note that this book is a novella, not a full
>>> length novel. I read the well printed and well bound POD (print on
>>> demand) illustrated (kinda) trade paperback published in 2020 by the
>>> Nancy Yost Literary Agency that I bought new on Amazon recently. Note
>>> that “Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband and wife writing
>>> team. And yes, this is science fiction, there are spaceships,
>>> teleportation devices, beam weapons, and space stations.
>>>
>>> BTW, this series is very much like "The Princess Bride" book. A lot of
>>> magic, a lot of good old human sweat and tears, many good guys, and
>>> quite a few bad guys. Ah yeah, maces and swords. And poison.
>>>
>>> Dina Demille is an innkeeper in Red Deer, Texas. Only her Victorian inn
>>> is not like a typical bed and breakfast, it is an intelligent magical
>>> haven named Gertrude Hunt for aliens coming to Earth or using Earth as a
>>> way station. Dina does have a permanent guest, a retired Galactic
>>> aristocrat named Caldenia who is hiding from several bounty hunters, who
>>> paid for permanent room and board.
>>>
>>> There are many inns like the Gertrude Hunt on Earth, that is because
>>> Earth has been designated as Neutral Ground for the various Galactic
>>> races, many of whom don't get along. That's why Caldenia is safe within
>>> the confines of Gertrude Hunt, the inn has many powerful weapons to
>>> protect itself and guests. Several of the bounty hunters are still
>>> chasing Caldenia for the massive bounty and have taken on the Gertrude
>>> Hunt Inn to their dismay.
>>>
>>> Every winter, Innkeepers look forward to celebrating their own special
>>> holiday, which commemorates the ancient treaty that united the very
>>> first Inns and established the rules that protect them, their
>>> intergalactic guests, and the very unaware/oblivious people of [planet]
>>> Earth. By tradition, the Innkeepers welcomed three guests: a warrior, a
>>> sage, and a pilgrim, but during the holiday, Innkeepers must open their
>>> doors to anyone who seeks lodging. Anyone.
>>>
>>> The authors have a website at:
>>> https://www.ilona-andrews.com
>>>

>> Thanks for reviewing these - I've been on the fence about reading them,
>> but given your reviews and how much I enjoy their Kate Daniels series,
>> I'm going to try out the first one for sure.
>>
>> Tony
>
> In general they are a bit more whimsical (the one featuring the other sister
> in vampire space is the most "Kate"), but solid & enjoyable.

Snarky !

Lynn

Re: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews

<ugs9q6$jeir$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=91530&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91530

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2023 17:15:33 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 19 Oct 2023 22:15 UTC

On 10/19/2023 3:45 PM, Tony Nance wrote:
> On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 11:19:59 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews
>> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1641971371
>>
>> Book number five of a six book paranormal fantasy romance science
>> fiction series. Please note that this book is a novella, not a full
>> length novel. I read the well printed and well bound POD (print on
>> demand) illustrated (kinda) trade paperback published in 2020 by the
>> Nancy Yost Literary Agency that I bought new on Amazon recently. Note
>> that “Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband and wife writing
>> team. And yes, this is science fiction, there are spaceships,
>> teleportation devices, beam weapons, and space stations.
>>
>> BTW, this series is very much like "The Princess Bride" book. A lot of
>> magic, a lot of good old human sweat and tears, many good guys, and
>> quite a few bad guys. Ah yeah, maces and swords. And poison.
>>
>> Dina Demille is an innkeeper in Red Deer, Texas. Only her Victorian inn
>> is not like a typical bed and breakfast, it is an intelligent magical
>> haven named Gertrude Hunt for aliens coming to Earth or using Earth as a
>> way station. Dina does have a permanent guest, a retired Galactic
>> aristocrat named Caldenia who is hiding from several bounty hunters, who
>> paid for permanent room and board.
>>
>> There are many inns like the Gertrude Hunt on Earth, that is because
>> Earth has been designated as Neutral Ground for the various Galactic
>> races, many of whom don't get along. That's why Caldenia is safe within
>> the confines of Gertrude Hunt, the inn has many powerful weapons to
>> protect itself and guests. Several of the bounty hunters are still
>> chasing Caldenia for the massive bounty and have taken on the Gertrude
>> Hunt Inn to their dismay.
>>
>> Every winter, Innkeepers look forward to celebrating their own special
>> holiday, which commemorates the ancient treaty that united the very
>> first Inns and established the rules that protect them, their
>> intergalactic guests, and the very unaware/oblivious people of [planet]
>> Earth. By tradition, the Innkeepers welcomed three guests: a warrior, a
>> sage, and a pilgrim, but during the holiday, Innkeepers must open their
>> doors to anyone who seeks lodging. Anyone.
>>
>> The authors have a website at:
>> https://www.ilona-andrews.com
>>

> Thanks for reviewing these - I've been on the fence about reading them,
> but given your reviews and how much I enjoy their Kate Daniels series,
> I'm going to try out the first one for sure.
>
> Tony

I hope that you like them. Me, the books are a solid enjoyment even
though they are smack dab in the middle of the Romance - SF dividing
line. I generally bounce off books like that.

Lynn

Re: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews

<811a1e68-d0b9-4c7a-836c-22b3b3609618n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=91550&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91550

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:50:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonynance17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 19:50 UTC

On Thursday, October 19, 2023 at 6:15:58 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 10/19/2023 3:45 PM, Tony Nance wrote:
> > On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 11:19:59 PM UTC-4, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> >> "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews
> >> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1641971371
> >>
> >> Book number five of a six book paranormal fantasy romance science
> >> fiction series. Please note that this book is a novella, not a full
> >> length novel. I read the well printed and well bound POD (print on
> >> demand) illustrated (kinda) trade paperback published in 2020 by the
> >> Nancy Yost Literary Agency that I bought new on Amazon recently. Note
> >> that “Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband and wife writing
> >> team. And yes, this is science fiction, there are spaceships,
> >> teleportation devices, beam weapons, and space stations.
> >>
> >> BTW, this series is very much like "The Princess Bride" book. A lot of
> >> magic, a lot of good old human sweat and tears, many good guys, and
> >> quite a few bad guys. Ah yeah, maces and swords. And poison.
> >>
> >> Dina Demille is an innkeeper in Red Deer, Texas. Only her Victorian inn
> >> is not like a typical bed and breakfast, it is an intelligent magical
> >> haven named Gertrude Hunt for aliens coming to Earth or using Earth as a
> >> way station. Dina does have a permanent guest, a retired Galactic
> >> aristocrat named Caldenia who is hiding from several bounty hunters, who
> >> paid for permanent room and board.
> >>
> >> There are many inns like the Gertrude Hunt on Earth, that is because
> >> Earth has been designated as Neutral Ground for the various Galactic
> >> races, many of whom don't get along. That's why Caldenia is safe within
> >> the confines of Gertrude Hunt, the inn has many powerful weapons to
> >> protect itself and guests. Several of the bounty hunters are still
> >> chasing Caldenia for the massive bounty and have taken on the Gertrude
> >> Hunt Inn to their dismay.
> >>
> >> Every winter, Innkeepers look forward to celebrating their own special
> >> holiday, which commemorates the ancient treaty that united the very
> >> first Inns and established the rules that protect them, their
> >> intergalactic guests, and the very unaware/oblivious people of [planet]
> >> Earth. By tradition, the Innkeepers welcomed three guests: a warrior, a
> >> sage, and a pilgrim, but during the holiday, Innkeepers must open their
> >> doors to anyone who seeks lodging. Anyone.
> >>
> >> The authors have a website at:
> >> https://www.ilona-andrews.com
> >>

> > Thanks for reviewing these - I've been on the fence about reading them,
> > but given your reviews and how much I enjoy their Kate Daniels series,
> > I'm going to try out the first one for sure.
> >
> > Tony
>
> I hope that you like them. Me, the books are a solid enjoyment even
> though they are smack dab in the middle of the Romance - SF dividing
> line. I generally bounce off books like that.

Me too - all of that, which is why I was on the fence; but I'm looking
forward to trying the first one (at least).

Tony

Re: "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews

<ugvji1$1is3b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=91566&group=rec.arts.sf.written#91566

From: defaultuserbr@yahoo.com (Default User)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 04:20:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Default User - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 04:20 UTC

ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan wrote:

>In article <9f991a1f-44ee-421f-855d-0587f3e88d1an@googlegroups.com>,
>Tony Nance <tonynance17@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Thanks for reviewing these - I've been on the fence about reading
>>them, but given your reviews and how much I enjoy their Kate
>>Daniels series, I'm going to try out the first one for sure.
>>
>>Tony
>
>In general they are a bit more whimsical (the one featuring the other
>sister in vampire space is the most "Kate"), but solid & enjoyable.

The most recent one, which I see has a review up but I haven't read
that yet, had a secondary storyline that was a bit more serious and
hints at more to come in subsequent books.

Brian

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "Sweep with Me (5) (Innkeeper Chronicles)" by Ilona Andrews