"Everyone's head is a cheap movie show." -- Jeff G. Bone

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Pelosi ruined California retailers are now required to have gender-neutral toy aisles

SubjectAuthor
o Re: Pelosi ruined California retailers are now required to have gender-neutral tEvil King Macrocranios

1
Re: Pelosi ruined California retailers are now required to have gender-neutral toy aisles

<6c63f9dd-ab46-44b0-9ea7-5044a65f85c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9160&group=alt.toys.transformers#9160

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 11:35:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Pelosi ruined California retailers are now required to have
gender-neutral toy aisles
From: evil.king.macrocranios@gmail.com (Evil King Macrocranios)
 by: Evil King Macrocrani - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 19:35 UTC

On Monday, January 8, 2024 at 11:30:59 PM UTC-8, Irrellius Spamticon wrote:
> Your toy aisles have had gender neutral sections for decades, they just weren't labeled. Nobody has to get rid of gender specific areas, and stores
> have been trying to cross sell cross gender lines anyway.

I found an example of a 1984 attempt by a grocery store to cross sell GI Joe, My Little Pony, and Transformers all together in one newspaper flyer ad.. They called the segment 'Action Toys From Hasbro' and pictured were a boxed Cobra Rattler, Sunlight the Rainbow Pony from MLP, and Wheeljack. I did a recreation of it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2qL_phyayE/

I'm not sure how ponies were marketed back then but this one struck me as interesting because of how the text states that any boy or girl will love ponies. Which is actually true, but not what Hasbro seemed to have been going for. Retailers I think if Hasbro of the 80s wanted ponies in the action figure aisle they probably would have packed guns with them. Or conversely, they'd have given Transformers little cute rubbery mascot animal pack ins or something like that.