From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (Award) Octavia E. Butler first Infinity Award Recipient
Date: 30 Apr 2023 20:29:46 -0000
 by: James Nicoll - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 20:29 UTC

To quote:

"The SFWA Board voted to create the Infinity Award to posthumously
honor acclaimed creators who passed away before they could be considered
for a Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award. This new award aims to
recognize that even though those celebrated worldbuilders, storytellers,
and weavers of words are no longer with us, their legacies will continue
to inspire."

The inaugural recipient is Octavia E. Butler.

https://www.sfwa.org/2023/04/27/the-inaugural-infinity-award-honoree-octavia-e-butler/

Re: (Award) Octavia E. Butler first Infinity Award Recipient

<3d0bc794-c520-4167-bf4f-1acf0566b46en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=92403&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92403

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 15:20:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: tonynance17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 30 Apr 2023 22:20 UTC

On Sunday, April 30, 2023 at 4:29:51 PM UTC-4, James Nicoll wrote:
> To quote:
>
> "The SFWA Board voted to create the Infinity Award to posthumously
> honor acclaimed creators who passed away before they could be considered
> for a Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award. This new award aims to
> recognize that even though those celebrated worldbuilders, storytellers,
> and weavers of words are no longer with us, their legacies will continue
> to inspire."
>
> The inaugural recipient is Octavia E. Butler.
>
> https://www.sfwa.org/2023/04/27/the-inaugural-infinity-award-honoree-octavia-e-butler/

Thanks for passing this along - I like the idea of this award.
Given their description of the award, and hence restricting
myself to those who were alive when the first SFWA Grand
Master Award, these folks come to mind as possible future
recipients:
Leigh Brackett
John Brunner
Frank Herbert
Murray Leinster
Stanislaw Lem
CL Moore[1]
Eric Frank Russell
Theodore Sturgeon
James Tiptree, Jr
Kate Wilhelm
Roger Zelazny

I only spent 5-10 minutes thinking about it, and I'm sure
I'm forgetting many deserving others.

Tony
[1] I believe Lawrence Watt-Evans related here that she was
actually supposed to receive it one year, but her family asked
the SFWA not to give it to her, as she was in no condition to
appreciate it.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: (Award) Octavia E. Butler first Infinity Award Recipient