From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: (tor dot com) Five SF Works That Predicted a Very Different End to the Cold War
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 09:23:38 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 1 May 2023 16:23 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 06:44:41 -0000 (UTC), davidd02@tpg.com.au (David
Duffy) wrote:

>James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>> Five SF Works That Predicted a Very Different End to the Cold War
>>
>> "United forever in friendship and labour,
>> Our mighty republics will ever endure.
>> The Great Soviet Union will live through the ages.
>> The dream of a people their fortress secure."
>>
>> https://www.tor.com/2023/04/17/five-sf-works-that-predicted-a-very-different-end-to-the-cold-war/
>
>Burgess's _A Clockwork Orange_ (requiring a slight familiarity with
>Russian, given an absence of other clues) and Kingsley Amis's _Russian
>Hide and Seek_
>
>Cheers, David Duffy.

Did A Clockwork Orange ever give us much of a clue as to when it was
supposed to be taking place? I always got the impression it was
supposed to be 'around the turn of the century' e.g. 2000 but I'm not
sure what I was basing that on - not sure when I read it

Re: (tor dot com) Five SF Works That Predicted a Very Different End to the Cold War

<0kb25ihn7gltl4p6ljvftqk08tudfvb1in@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=92458&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92458

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 02 May 2023 08:39:44 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 2 May 2023 15:39 UTC

On Mon, 01 May 2023 09:23:38 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca>
wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 06:44:41 -0000 (UTC), davidd02@tpg.com.au (David
>Duffy) wrote:
>
>>James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>>> Five SF Works That Predicted a Very Different End to the Cold War
>>>
>>> "United forever in friendship and labour,
>>> Our mighty republics will ever endure.
>>> The Great Soviet Union will live through the ages.
>>> The dream of a people their fortress secure."
>>>
>>> https://www.tor.com/2023/04/17/five-sf-works-that-predicted-a-very-different-end-to-the-cold-war/
>>
>>Burgess's _A Clockwork Orange_ (requiring a slight familiarity with
>>Russian, given an absence of other clues) and Kingsley Amis's _Russian
>>Hide and Seek_
>>
>>Cheers, David Duffy.
>
>Did A Clockwork Orange ever give us much of a clue as to when it was
>supposed to be taking place? I always got the impression it was
>supposed to be 'around the turn of the century' e.g. 2000 but I'm not
>sure what I was basing that on - not sure when I read it

Well, IIRC, the Social Worker claims that his people have been trying
to solve the juvenile delinquency problem for a century or more. But
that's in the film, I don't recall if it is in the book or not.
--
"In this connexion, unquestionably the most significant
development was the disintegration, under Christian

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: (tor dot com) Five SF Works That Predicted a Very Different End to the Cold War