In case of injury notify your superior immediately. He'll kiss it and make it better.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Beachcomber's Tires Will Eat Your Toys

SubjectAuthor
* Beachcomber's Tires Will Eat Your ToysZobovor
+* Re: Beachcomber's Tires Will Eat Your ToysSwivelbot
|`- Re: Beachcomber's Tires Will Eat Your ToysTravoltron
`- Re: Beachcomber's Tires Will Eat Your ToysGustavoWombat

1
Beachcomber's Tires Will Eat Your Toys

<f66ec0ace7dcbca655cfcf8218172eb3@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9275&group=alt.toys.transformers#9275

From: zmfts@aol.com (Zobovor)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Beachcomber's Tires Will Eat Your Toys
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:45:25 +0000
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 17:45 UTC

I figured I'd call attention to this so that everybody is aware of the dangers of Legacy Beachcomber.

Maybe a few months after he was released, I started seeing reports that people who had displayed the Paradise Parakeet on his shoulder were discovering that the rubbery plastic from which his litle bird friend is made can, in fact, melt the plastic of his shoulder peg and fuse to it. Obviously, this is not good.

I personally experienced something similar, after having Beachcomber in a toy box with some other releases from the same era, and discovering that his tires had absorbed some of the red paint from Devcon's boots. I was able to wipe off the paint pretty easily, but Devcon's paint is ruined. I'm not super happy about this.

So, now I keep Beachcomber's tires in a little Zip-Loc bag, so that they won't touch everything else. I had already done this with his bird friend, just because it's super tiny and I didn't want to lose it. But now I worry about future toy releases.

Leader-class Sandstorm is reportedly also going to have these same rubber tires, so I would strongly advise against storing him in a toy box with other toys without taking proper precautions. Odds are that he's going to start shipping around April or so.

Also, if the upcoming Mayhem Attack Squad version of Ruckus is a remold of Beachcomber, then he likely uses the same tires as well, and will require the same special precautions when it comes to storage.

I did reach out to Evan Brooks and show him pictures of my melted Devcon toy, and he said he would consult with Mark Maher about it, and thanked him for letting him know. So, hopefully Hasbro will opt to not use these types of rubber tires going forward. It's worth mentioning that I never had this issue with any other Transformers with rubbery wheels; I've always stored my G1 toys in boxes for many decades and never encountered a similar problem. Clearly it's a different type of material being used in this instance.

Zob (I guess one solution would be to actually put my toys on a display shelf like a serious collector... I've actually got about 700 toys on display, but that's still only about 14 percent of my total collection)

Re: Beachcomber's Tires Will Eat Your Toys

<85c90602778a34703defe719a24970a3@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9276&group=alt.toys.transformers#9276

From: liambhart@gmail.com (Swivelbot)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Re: Beachcomber's Tires Will Eat Your Toys
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:10:09 +0000
 by: Swivelbot - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 22:10 UTC

That sucks man..

I certainly hope a running change for these tires happens, because I haven't snagged a Legacy Beachcomber yet, and now I'm a bit hesitant.

Swivelbot (Beachcomber would not approve)

Re: Beachcomber's Tires Will Eat Your Toys

<4cb6c688ce186cb6b792a28929b06a1b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9287&group=alt.toys.transformers#9287

From: pork.not.pork@gmail.com (GustavoWombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 22:35:42 +0000
 by: GustavoWombat - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 22:35 UTC

Zobovor wrote:

> Maybe a few months after he was released, I started seeing reports that people who had displayed the Paradise Parakeet on his shoulder were discovering that the rubbery plastic from which his litle bird friend is made can, in fact, melt the plastic of his shoulder peg and fuse to it. Obviously, this is not good.

The Parakeet is secretlyh a monster eating Beachcomber? That's disturbing on so many levels.

I wonder if the tires are eating the rims.

Re: Beachcomber's Tires Will Eat Your Toys

<uslgh4$37ige$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9289&group=alt.toys.transformers#9289

From: Travoltron@fakeemail.com (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:42:28 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:42 UTC

On 3/8/2024 2:10 PM, Swivelbot wrote:
> I certainly hope a running change for these tires happens, because I
> haven't snagged a Legacy Beachcomber yet, and now I'm a bit hesitant.

I have to wonder if that's why the toy disappeared so quickly. Hasbro
knew they screwed up and stopped production. I had to order mine from
Japan and I'm starting to regret it.