From: Travoltron@fakeemail.com (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: TF:TM animation trivia
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:21:53 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:21 UTC

I just was watching this McDonald's commercial and saw that they copied
the scene of the shuttle's engine firing from TF:TM.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o71P3LFnsg8

The dinosaur reminds me of the Gattai Saurer (Fossilsaurus) from Machine
Robo.

I think this may have been discovered already, but the Junkion dance
animation was lifted from an earlier Toei anime, "Horus, Prince of the Sun".
https://youtu.be/vgzSyNBDLYs?si=NwgUJiv1JhBvxA7U&t=45

Re: TF:TM animation trivia

<e404b74e10d437d00471836b2bbfbe7f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9295&group=alt.toys.transformers#9295

From: zmfts@aol.com (Zobovor)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Re: TF:TM animation trivia
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:25:37 +0000
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:25 UTC

Travoltron wrote:

> I just was watching this McDonald's commercial and saw that they copied
> the scene of the shuttle's engine firing from TF:TM.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o71P3LFnsg8

Yeah, that's pretty obviously a direct lift. Good eye!

> I think this may have been discovered already, but the Junkion dance
> animation was lifted from an earlier Toei anime, "Horus, Prince of the Sun".
> https://youtu.be/vgzSyNBDLYs?si=NwgUJiv1JhBvxA7U&t=45

I was not aware of this at all. That's actually kind of funny. Reminds me of how Disney would trace over the same live-action footage and just turn Christopher Robin from Winnie the Pooh into Mowgli from The Jungle Book. Disney was especially bad about copying their own work.

Zob (I guess it's not really plagiarism if you're ripping yourself off... just ask David Wise)

Re: TF:TM animation trivia

<653ee4419486d6c5c703ed30b7eb62b2@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9298&group=alt.toys.transformers#9298

From: pork.not.pork@gmail.com (GustavoWombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:26:04 +0000
 by: GustavoWombat - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:26 UTC

Zobovor wrote:

> I was not aware of this at all. That's actually kind of funny. Reminds me of how Disney would trace over the same live-action footage and just turn Christopher Robin from Winnie the Pooh into Mowgli from The Jungle Book. Disney was especially bad about copying their own work.

Fun Fact: the band Whitesnake transformed itself into a Hair Metal band in the late 80s, and had big hits with “Here I Go Again” “Crying In The Rain” and “Fool For Your Lovin’”, which were songs they had recorded and released on albums before their Hair Metal period and then just re-recorded with as much 80s excess as they could cram in.

Taylor Swift is re-recording all her albums for copyright reasons. I wish she was doing it with utterly ridiculous stylistic changes, rather than as faithfully as possible.

Re: TF:TM animation trivia

<648a9c8d387da8f88d108d8fd23a47a4@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9299&group=alt.toys.transformers#9299

From: sarah@kernowgirl.co.uk (VelvetGlove)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:38:29 +0000
 by: VelvetGlove - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 12:38 UTC

I tried to reply to this yesterday, but it seems to have got lost somewhere. :(

Zobovor wrote:

> Travoltron wrote:

>> I think this may have been discovered already, but the Junkion dance
>> animation was lifted from an earlier Toei anime, "Horus, Prince of the Sun".
>> https://youtu.be/vgzSyNBDLYs?si=NwgUJiv1JhBvxA7U&t=45

> I was not aware of this at all. That's actually kind of funny. Reminds me of how Disney would trace over the same live-action footage and just turn Christopher Robin from Winnie the Pooh into Mowgli from The Jungle Book. Disney was especially bad about copying their own work.

It makes a lot of sense in hand-drawn animation, honestly. In Disney's Beauty and the Beast, the final scene has Belle dancing with the human prince in the background--re-using animation from Sleeping Beauty that was almost forty years old, which seems crazy but when you're trying to meet a deadline, and you've got a scene where characters are doing complex movements but not necessarily 'acting', do you:

A: Get your top animators to spend days creating something fresh, which then has to go through clean up and painting.
B: pull out archive footage and get the clean-up animators to change it to this movie's characters in a fraction of the time.

Like Zob, I didn't know that the Junkion dance scene was from something else, but it was a logical call for the scene (even if I'd rather live without the Autobots suddenly having a dance party.)

Velvet Glove (There's like a half-dozen Disney movies with a scene-setting grazing deer on screen for a few seconds; it's actually Bambi's mother having her last meal and hearing the hunters coming, over and over again...)