The more I want to get something done, the less I call it work. -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?

SubjectAuthor
* Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?CodigoPostal
+- Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?VelvetGlove
+* Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?Swivelbot
|`* Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?CodigoPostal
| `* Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?JosephBardsley
|  `- Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?Zobovor
`* Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?Optim
 `- Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?JosephBardsley

1
Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?

<7d916b58d380565a354fde9c15b16c4e@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9333&group=alt.toys.transformers#9333

From: codigopostal959@gmail.com (CodigoPostal)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:45:00 +0000
 by: CodigoPostal - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:45 UTC

https://alt.toys.transformers.narkive.com/

I haven't tried it myself (am posting this from NovaBBS), but from a pure reading perspective, I'm finding it more user-friendly. Anyone have any experience with this form of accessing Usenet? I wonder if it might not be a good alternative to NovaBBS, especially as it seems to archive everything (I'm currently reading Zob's scathing review of the Transformers: The Ultimate Guide from 20 years ago! https://alt.toys.transformers.narkive.com/Ucv9bGnq/zob-s-thoughts-on-transformers-the-ultimate-guide, for those interested. I have this book and it's more interesting as a curiosity rather than as an authoritative resource).

Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?

<f01c4137857ee7ec6291e89fefd76025@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9334&group=alt.toys.transformers#9334

From: sarah@kernowgirl.co.uk (VelvetGlove)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:06:11 +0000
 by: VelvetGlove - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 20:06 UTC

Ironically, this post isn't showing up there for me.

I like the reading format better too, though it doesn't like manipulations with quoting. I tried to reply to both Zobovor and Gustavo in a single post else-thread, and it just lists Zobovor writing all the quoted text.

Velvet Glove (the full archive is a massive improvement, nuff said.)

Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?

<42d7356098e3671b3b1893ef5d507272@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9338&group=alt.toys.transformers#9338

From: liambhart@gmail.com (Swivelbot)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 22:55:21 +0000
 by: Swivelbot - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 22:55 UTC

The formatting is certainly a lot less visually interesting than NovaBBS, if it pans out well I'd be fine with using this.

Thank Primus himself that it archives everything.

Swivelbot

Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?

<9935e48b23bef0d88f9d234a95288f9c@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9339&group=alt.toys.transformers#9339

From: codigopostal959@gmail.com (CodigoPostal)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 01:46:42 +0000
 by: CodigoPostal - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 01:46 UTC

Sounds like we keep NovaBBS for the interaction, and Narkive for the archiving. Works for me!

Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?

<83af8e691b4487a58d92df0408959dc0@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9344&group=alt.toys.transformers#9344

From: joe.bardsley@gmail.com (JosephBardsley)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 08:56:11 +0000
 by: JosephBardsley - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 08:56 UTC

Thanks for proposing this alternative, Codigo!

Just so I understand - if folks post to one platform for the group, will it cross-post to others? Even if only one of the two is actively archiving posts?

Happy Friday, all,

JB

Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?

<e1df9905735dfe05e0d4fb2b81181cb2@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9345&group=alt.toys.transformers#9345

From: zmfts@aol.com (Zobovor)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:37:53 +0000
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:37 UTC

JosephBardsley wrote:

> Just so I understand - if folks post to one platform for the group, will it cross-post to others? Even if only one of the two is actively archiving posts?

In theory, all access points to Usenet should talk to each other and mirror each other, so that we're all seeing the same posts. But in practice, that doesn't always happen if posts fail to propagate for whatever reason. Travoltron has mentioned a few times recently that he's not seeing some messages that others are seeing.

I'll just mention that if we were to institute a mass exodus to Reddit, there's only a single access point to all the posts, which would eliminate that problem completely. But as long as everybody's happy with whatever means they're using to access Usenet, I'll support staying here and will continue posting here.

Zob (is a stubborn old curmudgeon, so I totally get the resistance to new technology)

Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?

<0dc9e32139d07d09e81b326e97002a11@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9354&group=alt.toys.transformers#9354

From: Optim_1@outlook.com (Optim)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 10:57:48 +0000
 by: Optim - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 10:57 UTC

CodigoPostal wrote:

> https://alt.toys.transformers.narkive.com/

> I haven't tried it myself (am posting this from NovaBBS), but from a pure reading perspective, I'm finding it more user-friendly. Anyone have any experience with this form of accessing Usenet? I wonder if it might not be a good alternative to NovaBBS, especially as it seems to archive everything (I'm currently reading Zob's scathing review of the Transformers: The Ultimate Guide from 20 years ago! https://alt.toys.transformers.narkive.com/Ucv9bGnq/zob-s-thoughts-on-transformers-the-ultimate-guide, for those interested. I have this book and it's more interesting as a curiosity rather than as an authoritative resource).

I like it! Like you said, it seems to archive everything. I didn't even cross-post to Narkive but my posts show up there. I could just stay at NovaBBS knowing that all posts also show up at Narkive for eternity but I think I am going to switch to Narkive because I like to keep things simple. I also like the look better than NovaBBS although I think the font size should be smaller so that more threads can be visible on the screen.

Thank you so much for posting this! Narkive is the answer to the old Google newsgroup. No need to worry about posts being deleted after two years.

Re: Narkive - a possible alternative to NovaBBS?

<911a91f7ee5ca4bb174f259593795137@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9362&group=alt.toys.transformers#9362

From: joe.bardsley@gmail.com (JosephBardsley)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 08:02:52 +0000
 by: JosephBardsley - Wed, 27 Mar 2024 08:02 UTC

Thanks for this! Looks like we're happening upon a long-term solution, at ... long last. ;)

Appreciate the thought that went into all of this research and planning.

Joseph