From: zmfts@aol.com (Zobovor)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Studio Series '86 Swoop Revealed at WonderCon 2024
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 00:54:46 +0000
 by: Zobovor - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 00:54 UTC

Images of Studio Series '86 Leader-class Swoop were finally unveiled at WonderCon (the sister event to Comic-Con) in Anaheim, California:

https://news.tfw2005.com/2024/03/30/wondercon-2024-transformers-panel-recap-swoop-507772

It's looking like the preorder date for him will be April 4th, 2024.

A lot of fans are complaining about him already. His wings are too small, his beak is wrong, he has too many swords and not enough guns, etc. People who, I think, just don't have a strong familiarity with Swoop and what he's supposed to be equipped with. ("The other Dinobots carried guns, so why doesn't Swoop have a gun?" seems to be the thought process.)

I think he looks pretty good. The pteranodon mode can stand up on two legs or lay on its belly, as per the G1 toy. The robot arms don't really transform and just sort of sit there, but this is technically accurate to the Sunbow animation, which used a mistransformed G1 toy as an art model. I think it might have been better if they had designed the arms to tuck in, and then people could just leave them untransformed if they wanted to.

The robot mode looks really good, pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be. Also, he seem to come with an extra sword, probably so you can give it to one of the other Dinobots. Marvel Comics Grimlock comes with the other swords, so it's definitely a savvy way for Hasbro to get you to buy him again (assuming you didn't already get some third-party swords from Nonnef or somebody, that is).

It's been a long wait, but pretty soon we'll have the entire Dinobot team! Yay!

Zob (painting with polycarbonate spray paint for the first time, and I wonder how many brain cells I've killed this weekend)