From: zmfts@aol.com (Zobovor)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Swapticons Retail Listing Discovered
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 22:07:54 +0000
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 22:07 UTC

Apparently there's a Transformers toy assortment coming called the Swapticons, and it contains the following toys (or pairs of toys):

TRA SWAPTICONS OP ULTRA MAGNUS
TRA SWAPTICONS MEG SHOCKWAVE
TRA SWAPTICONS BB HOT ROD
TRA SWAPTICONS GRIMLOCK SNARL
TRA SWAPTICONS CHEETOR TIGATRON
TRA SWAPTICONS STARSCREAM THUNDERCRACKER
TRA SWAPTICONS NEMESIS PRIME CLENCH
TRA SWAPTICONS SHADOW PANTHER RAVAGE
TRA SWAPTICONS WILD JUNGLE MISSION 5PK

Now, my first thought is that this strikes me as something that might be for the kiddie toy line (think Cyberverse), not the mainline, though I could be mistaken.

As to what the actual gimmick entails, that remains to be seen. But it does seem interesting that some of the body styles are identical, or nearly so. A Starscream toy definitely wouldn't be transforming into a Thundercracker toy, since they're already the same except for the colors. This almost makes me wonder if they include some sort of color-changing gimmick, so a single toy is intended to represent both characters.

Hot Wheels already have color-changing cars, so this leads me to wonder if maybe this is part of the cross-branding with Mattel. It seems unlikely that they would include Cheetor and Ravage and characters like that, but not impossible. There are existing Hot Wheels castings that are in the shape of cats. They would just have to color them properly.

Other people have speculated that they could be something akin to Hero Mashers, perhaps starting with a basic framework to which you attach parts to either build one character or then the other. But I tend to think that's less likely. The name pairings suggest strongly to me that what we're seeing is a single toy configuration that's intended to represent two different characters.

As with everything, though, I guess we'll find out eventually!

Zob (doesn't need more things to obsessively collect)