You are always busy.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: The Witch of Syracuse

SubjectAuthor
* The Witch of SyracuseJoy Beeson
+* Re: The Witch of SyracuseDorothy J Heydt
|`* Re: The Witch of SyracuseTony Nance
| `- Re: The Witch of SyracuseDorothy J Heydt
`- Re: The Witch of SyracuseTony Nance

1
The Witch of Syracuse

<v9hskilabum699gice0rdkl507skij5rf5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=92320&group=rec.arts.sf.written#92320

From: jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: The Witch of Syracuse
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 10:06:53 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:06 UTC

Friday, 10 November 2023

Yesterday, while checking out my new computer, I clicked on a link to
Dorothy's site, decided to peek at The Witch of Syracuse

https://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/witch.pdf

to see whether I'd read it, ended up reading the whole thing -- to the
detriment of other things I'd planned to do yesterday evening. (I
read the last chapter while breakfast was cooking this morning.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: The Witch of Syracuse

<s44F6v.21Dy@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=93948&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93948

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Subject: Re: The Witch of Syracuse
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:01:43 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:01 UTC

In article <v9hskilabum699gice0rdkl507skij5rf5@4ax.com>,
Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>Friday, 10 November 2023
>
>Yesterday, while checking out my new computer, I clicked on a link to
>Dorothy's site, decided to peek at The Witch of Syracuse
>
>https://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/witch.pdf
>
>to see whether I'd read it, ended up reading the whole thing -- to the
>detriment of other things I'd planned to do yesterday evening. (I
>read the last chapter while breakfast was cooking this morning.)

[Hal Heydt]
In that case, you may want to go back to Dorothy's web site and
find "The Final Cynthia Story", which isn't in the book. It was
written while she was in Stanford Hospital 6 days before she
died. (That final work doesn't make much sense if one hasn't
read at least some of the other Cynthia stories.) I can think of
at least three meanings to that final story. I will be
interested if you choose to commoent on it.

Re: The Witch of Syracuse

<9cfd127a-a5ce-48a1-9a7a-7c84383383fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=93951&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93951

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 08:20:28 -0800 (PST)
From: tonynance17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:20 UTC

On Friday, November 10, 2023 at 10:07:00 AM UTC-5, Joy Beeson wrote:
> Friday, 10 November 2023
>
> Yesterday, while checking out my new computer, I clicked on a link to
> Dorothy's site, decided to peek at The Witch of Syracuse
>
> https://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/witch.pdf
>
> to see whether I'd read it, ended up reading the whole thing -- to the
> detriment of other things I'd planned to do yesterday evening. (I
> read the last chapter while breakfast was cooking this morning.)

I'm so glad you mentioned this - I had forgotten I have that
here on my laptop[1].

Tony
[1] I really haven't found a way to enjoy e-reading, but I do plan
to read this soon.

Re: The Witch of Syracuse

<26059d8f-d5c5-41d4-9898-7e67f5997402n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=93953&group=rec.arts.sf.written#93953

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 08:21:33 -0800 (PST)
From: tonynance17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
 by: Tony Nance - Tue, 14 Nov 2023 16:21 UTC

On Tuesday, November 14, 2023 at 11:16:28 AM UTC-5, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <v9hskilabum699gic...@4ax.com>,
> Joy Beeson <jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
> >Friday, 10 November 2023
> >
> >Yesterday, while checking out my new computer, I clicked on a link to
> >Dorothy's site, decided to peek at The Witch of Syracuse
> >
> >https://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/witch.pdf
> >
> >to see whether I'd read it, ended up reading the whole thing -- to the
> >detriment of other things I'd planned to do yesterday evening. (I
> >read the last chapter while breakfast was cooking this morning.)
>
> [Hal Heydt]
> In that case, you may want to go back to Dorothy's web site and
> find "The Final Cynthia Story", which isn't in the book. It was
> written while she was in Stanford Hospital 6 days before she
> died. (That final work doesn't make much sense if one hasn't
> read at least some of the other Cynthia stories.) I can think of
> at least three meanings to that final story. I will be
> interested if you choose to commoent on it.

Oh good - thanks for mentioning this Hal. Your note came in
while I was responding to Joy, and I'll keep in mind there's
one more Cynthia story.

Tony

Re: The Witch of Syracuse

<s45HxM.131z@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=94001&group=rec.arts.sf.written#94001

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 05:58:34 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 05:58 UTC

In article <26059d8f-d5c5-41d4-9898-7e67f5997402n@googlegroups.com>,
Tony Nance <tonynance17@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, November 14, 2023 at 11:16:28 AM UTC-5, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> In article <v9hskilabum699gic...@4ax.com>,
>> Joy Beeson <jbe...@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:
>> >Friday, 10 November 2023
>> >
>> >Yesterday, while checking out my new computer, I clicked on a link to
>> >Dorothy's site, decided to peek at The Witch of Syracuse
>> >
>> >https://www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/witch.pdf
>> >
>> >to see whether I'd read it, ended up reading the whole thing -- to the
>> >detriment of other things I'd planned to do yesterday evening. (I
>> >read the last chapter while breakfast was cooking this morning.)
>>
>> [Hal Heydt]
>> In that case, you may want to go back to Dorothy's web site and
>> find "The Final Cynthia Story", which isn't in the book. It was
>> written while she was in Stanford Hospital 6 days before she
>> died. (That final work doesn't make much sense if one hasn't
>> read at least some of the other Cynthia stories.) I can think of
>> at least three meanings to that final story. I will be
>> interested if you choose to commoent on it.
>
>Oh good - thanks for mentioning this Hal. Your note came in
>while I was responding to Joy, and I'll keep in mind there's
>one more Cynthia story.

[Hal Heydt]
It's very short. It's pretty much just a minor epilog. One of
her works in progress was set long after and involved both some
of Cynthia's descendents and the poet Virgil.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: The Witch of Syracuse