From: zmfts@aol.com (Zobovor)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Images of United RiD Sideburn
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 21:59:05 +0000
 by: Zobovor - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 21:59 UTC

To absolutely nobody's surprise, the Shadow Striker toy is getting repurposed as Sideburn, the Robots in Disguise character:

https://tformers.com/united-rid-sideburn-first-look-from-transformers-legacy-wave-3/52397/news.html

People are already up arms in shock, devastated that he doesn't transform into a fully-licensed Dodge Viper. Like, dude. We already saw what this toy looked like. They weren't going to completely redesign it from the ground up.

He's going to be part of wave three, which is scheduled to hit retailers around July 2024.

Zob (now, the question is, do I even bother with him since I skipped HasLab Omega Prime? Hmm...)

Re: Images of United RiD Sideburn

<f117e447996b451bfa70071b59393151@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9401&group=alt.toys.transformers#9401

From: codigopostal959@gmail.com (CodigoPostal)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Re: Images of United RiD Sideburn
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 01:24:43 +0000
 by: CodigoPostal - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 01:24 UTC

This release seems primarily for:
1) Completists,
2) Haslab Omega Prime backers who want to start a Neo-RID01 collection that will almost certainly be abandoned by Hasbro, and/or
3) RID2001/Car Robots fans who don't have the far, far superior and more screen-accurate original.

By the RID era, Hastak was sufficiently advanced that the toys on the shelves matched the toys on screen in terms of sculpt and articulation, save for the reused G1 toys (Spychangers, Ruination, etc).

Side note: it seems almost quaint to remember how Side Burn's transformation was once considered the pinnacle of complexity.

Re: Images of United RiD Sideburn

<f8667ba17b67a92cb028099b1fa680f0@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/interests/article-flat.php?id=9403&group=alt.toys.transformers#9403

From: evil.king.macrocranios@gmail.com (GoBackaTron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:02:27 +0000
 by: GoBackaTron - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 08:02 UTC

CodigoPostal wrote:

> Side note: it seems almost quaint to remember how Side Burn's transformation was once considered the pinnacle of complexity.

Well needless complexity maybe. I don't recall anyone thinking the engineering was a good thing but contrarian fans exist for everything. I remember it being panned for the shellformeryness of it. I remember with the original being able to separate the robot from the car almost completely. It was one of the worst of all time.