Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 12:20:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: "Tracking" by David R. Palmer
From: vivi.bamberg@gmail.com (Vivian Bamberg)
 by: Vivian Bamberg - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 20:20 UTC

On Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 7:28:20 PM UTC-6, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Tracking" by David R. Palmer
> https://www.amazon.com/Tracking-David-R-Palmer/dp/1948818396/
>
> Book number two of a two book science fiction fantasy apocalyptic
> series. I read an earlier version of this book in 2018 that was
> serialized in Analog Magazine back in 2008. I bought the POD (print on
> demand) trade paperback published by Ring of Fire Press in 2019 and
> reread this version. Unfortunately, when Eric Flint passed away, the
> Ring of Fire Press died with him and the book is not being published
> now. Getting a copy could be quite difficult. The author is in his 80s
> and getting his five books republished seems to be difficult for him. I
> scanned the internet and only found one copy of the book for sale at
> ebay which is now gone.
>
> Candidia (Candy) Foster-Smith, a Homo Post Hominem who survived the
> experiences of the first novel in which over seven billion Homo Sapiens
> died, has more adventures. A spy team in Russia reports that her foster
> father is being held by the Russians so there is only one thing to do,
> rescue him !
>
> Candy steals a single engine turboprop plane and flies to Russia. She
> gets a new dog that really likes to play frizbee along the way. The
> Berserker Special Ops Girl kills more bad Russian Homo Sapiens who
> survived the apocalypse. BTW, Candy does not exhibit any new
> superpowers that I can think of that were not revealed in the first book.
>
> Unfortunately, "Tracking" ends on a cliffhanger. Not a huge cliffhanger
> though. A third book has been reputedly written but never published
> according to the author and Spider Robinson. One can only hope.
>
> Here is my 2018 review:
>
> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.sf.written/c/JJvJbVmAUDI/m/4IuQldevBAAJ
>
> BTW, author requests that if you think that the Border Collie that he
> describes in the book is cool, do not go out and buy one. He says
> Border Collies are a fifteen year commitment with a dog who needs ten
> hours of hard work per day or else they will find a way to do ten hours
> of hard work. He recounts a friend whose Border Collie got bored and
> pulled the siding off the back side of his house and neatly stacked the
> sheets into a pile.
>
> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (103 reviews)
>
> Lynn
Hi, I'm trying to track down a copy of Tracking in some format as a gift for my father but it's unavailable everywhere. I just saw your Narkive post/discussion with the pdf link but the link doesn't work and the discussion was too old to reply to. Is there any way you still have that link or access to the book that you could send me?
Thanks,
Vivi

Re: "Tracking" by David R. Palmer

<ull39m$2i615$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=94796&group=rec.arts.sf.written#94796

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:02:44 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:02 UTC

On 12/16/2023 2:20 PM, Vivian Bamberg wrote:
> On Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 7:28:20 PM UTC-6, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Tracking" by David R. Palmer
>> https://www.amazon.com/Tracking-David-R-Palmer/dp/1948818396/
>>
>> Book number two of a two book science fiction fantasy apocalyptic
>> series. I read an earlier version of this book in 2018 that was
>> serialized in Analog Magazine back in 2008. I bought the POD (print on
>> demand) trade paperback published by Ring of Fire Press in 2019 and
>> reread this version. Unfortunately, when Eric Flint passed away, the
>> Ring of Fire Press died with him and the book is not being published
>> now. Getting a copy could be quite difficult. The author is in his 80s
>> and getting his five books republished seems to be difficult for him. I
>> scanned the internet and only found one copy of the book for sale at
>> ebay which is now gone.
>>
>> Candidia (Candy) Foster-Smith, a Homo Post Hominem who survived the
>> experiences of the first novel in which over seven billion Homo Sapiens
>> died, has more adventures. A spy team in Russia reports that her foster
>> father is being held by the Russians so there is only one thing to do,
>> rescue him !
>>
>> Candy steals a single engine turboprop plane and flies to Russia. She
>> gets a new dog that really likes to play frizbee along the way. The
>> Berserker Special Ops Girl kills more bad Russian Homo Sapiens who
>> survived the apocalypse. BTW, Candy does not exhibit any new
>> superpowers that I can think of that were not revealed in the first book.
>>
>> Unfortunately, "Tracking" ends on a cliffhanger. Not a huge cliffhanger
>> though. A third book has been reputedly written but never published
>> according to the author and Spider Robinson. One can only hope.
>>
>> Here is my 2018 review:
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.sf.written/c/JJvJbVmAUDI/m/4IuQldevBAAJ
>>
>> BTW, author requests that if you think that the Border Collie that he
>> describes in the book is cool, do not go out and buy one. He says
>> Border Collies are a fifteen year commitment with a dog who needs ten
>> hours of hard work per day or else they will find a way to do ten hours
>> of hard work. He recounts a friend whose Border Collie got bored and
>> pulled the siding off the back side of his house and neatly stacked the
>> sheets into a pile.
>>
>> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (103 reviews)
>>
>> Lynn
> Hi, I'm trying to track down a copy of Tracking in some format as a gift for my father but it's unavailable everywhere. I just saw your Narkive post/discussion with the pdf link but the link doesn't work and the discussion was too old to reply to. Is there any way you still have that link or access to the book that you could send me?
> Thanks,
> Vivi

Sorry, but good luck looking for a dead tree copy. I don't see any used
copies out there in a cursory look on the intertubes.

The collapse of Eric Flint's publishing empire "Ring Of Fire Press" has
screwed up a lot of books. David Palmer is in his 80s and has managed
to get the ebooks of his books back on Amazon. Getting POD copies for
sale is apparently tougher.

Lynn

Re: "Tracking" by David R. Palmer

<ku8nheF57gsU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=94815&group=rec.arts.sf.written#94815

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 17 Dec 2023 16:56:14 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 17 Dec 2023 16:56 UTC

In article <ull39m$2i615$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> My rating: 5 out of 5 stars
>>> Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars (103 reviews)
>>>
>>> Lynn
>> Hi, I'm trying to track down a copy of Tracking in some format as a
>gift for my father but it's unavailable everywhere. I just saw your
>Narkive post/discussion with the pdf link but the link doesn't work and
>the discussion was too old to reply to. Is there any way you still have
>that link or access to the book that you could send me?
>> Thanks,
>> Vivi
>
>Sorry, but good luck looking for a dead tree copy. I don't see any used
>copies out there in a cursory look on the intertubes.
>
>The collapse of Eric Flint's publishing empire "Ring Of Fire Press" has
>screwed up a lot of books. David Palmer is in his 80s and has managed
>to get the ebooks of his books back on Amazon. Getting POD copies for

You could buy the Kindle version and convert it to PDF if you need a PDF.

Or, you could buy it in hardcopy by getting those issues of Analog:

https://www.amazon.com/Analog-Science-Fiction-August-CXXVIII/dp/B005KBFHWU

https://www.amazon.com/Analog-Science-Fiction-September-CXXVIII/dp/B005KBGE4K

https://www-origin.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31712105953&searchurl=an%3Dpalmer%2Bdave%2Brichard%26ds%3D10%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=msrp-_-msrpdesc-_-bdp
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Tracking" by David R. Palmer