I don't do it for the money. -- Donald Trump, Art of the Deal

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "The Czech Play That Gave Us the Word ‘Robot’ "

SubjectAuthor
* "The Czech Play That Gave Us the Word ‘Robot’ "Lenona
`* Re: "The Czech Play That Gave Us the Word ‘Robot’ "Charles Packer
 `* Re: "The Czech Play That Gave Us the Word ‘Robot’ "ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  `- Re: "The Czech Play That Gave Us the Word ‘Robot’ "Tony Nance

1
"The Czech Play That Gave Us the Word ‘Robot’ "

<a7d4a398-443b-44c1-9f61-f6366cfbd92fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95667&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95667

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:55:17 -0800 (PST)
Subject: "The_Czech_Play_That_Gave_Us_the_Word_‘Robot’_"
From: lenona321@yahoo.com (Lenona)
 by: Lenona - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 19:55 UTC

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-czech-play-that-gave-us-the-word-robot?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

"Karel Čapek's play 'R.U.R.' premiered in January 1921. Its influence cannot be overstated."

MIT Press Reader

By John M. Jordan

By the time his play “R.U.R.” (which stands for “Rossum’s Universal Robots”) premiered in Prague in 1921, Karel Čapek was a well-known Czech intellectual. Like many of his peers, he was appalled by the carnage wrought by the mechanical and chemical weapons that marked World War I as a departure from previous combat. He was also deeply skeptical of the utopian notions of science and technology. “The product of the human brain has escaped the control of human hands,” Čapek told the London Saturday Review following the play’s premiere. “This is the comedy of science.”

In that same interview, Čapek reflected on the origin of one of the play’s characters...

(snip)

Re: "The Czech Play That Gave Us the Word ‘Robot’ "

<nWLqN.67676$GX69.6058@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95692&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95692

From: mailbox@cpacker.org (Charles Packer)
Subject: Re: "The Czech Play That Gave Us the Word
‘Robot’ "
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 08:57:55 GMT
 by: Charles Packer - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 08:57 UTC

On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:55:17 -0800, Lenona wrote:

> https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-czech-play-that-gave-us-the-word-
robot?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us

> "Karel Čapek's play 'R.U.R.' premiered in January 1921. Its influence
> cannot be overstated."
>
> MIT Press Reader
>
> By John M. Jordan
>
> By the time his play “R.U.R.” (which stands for “Rossum’s Universal
> Robots”) premiered in Prague in 1921, Karel Čapek was a well-known
> Czech intellectual. Like many of his peers, he was appalled by the
> carnage wrought by the mechanical and chemical weapons that marked
> World War I as a departure from previous combat. He was also deeply
> skeptical of the utopian notions of science and technology. “The
> product of the human brain has escaped the control of human hands,”
> Čapek told the London Saturday Review following the play’s premiere.
> “This is the comedy of science.”
>
> In that same interview, Čapek reflected on the origin of one of the
> play’s characters...
>

> (snip)

I see in the newspaper archives that the play got a big boost
in September 1922 by having its first American performance
mentioned in "New York Letter," a nationally syndicated
gossip column by Lucy Jeanne Price.

Re: "The Czech Play That Gave Us the Word ‘Robot’ "

<l12hvbFjvo1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95701&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95701

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
‘Robot’ "
Date: 20 Jan 2024 18:33:15 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 18:33 UTC

In article <nWLqN.67676$GX69.6058@fx46.iad>,
Charles Packer <mailbox@cpacker.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:55:17 -0800, Lenona wrote:
>
>> https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-czech-play-that-gave-us-the-word-
>robot?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us
>>
>> "Karel Čapek's play 'R.U.R.' premiered in January 1921. Its influence
>> cannot be overstated."
>>
>> MIT Press Reader
>>
>> By John M. Jordan
>>
>> By the time his play “R.U.R.” (which stands for “Rossum’s Universal
>> Robots”) premiered in Prague in 1921, Karel Čapek was a well-known
>> Czech intellectual. Like many of his peers, he was appalled by the
>> carnage wrought by the mechanical and chemical weapons that marked
>> World War I as a departure from previous combat. He was also deeply
>> skeptical of the utopian notions of science and technology. “The
>> product of the human brain has escaped the control of human hands,”
>> Čapek told the London Saturday Review following the play’s premiere.
>> “This is the comedy of science.”
>>
>> In that same interview, Čapek reflected on the origin of one of the
>> play’s characters...
>>

>> (snip)
>

>I see in the newspaper archives that the play got a big boost
>in September 1922 by having its first American performance
>mentioned in "New York Letter," a nationally syndicated
>gossip column by Lucy Jeanne Price.

I was aware of the play, though I have never seen or read it. I think it
had a big influence on early SF. Van Vogt in particular, seemed to go with
Capek-like robots rather than the clanky kind.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "The Czech Play That Gave Us the Word ‘Robot’ "

<uojaln$75k4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95720&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95720

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re:_"The_Czech_Play_That_Gave_Us_the_Word_‘Ro
bot’ "
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 09:45:11 -0500
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 14:45 UTC

On 1/20/24 1:33 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <nWLqN.67676$GX69.6058@fx46.iad>,
> Charles Packer <mailbox@cpacker.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:55:17 -0800, Lenona wrote:
>>
>>> https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-czech-play-that-gave-us-the-word-
>> robot?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us
>>>
>>> "Karel Čapek's play 'R.U.R.' premiered in January 1921. Its influence
>>> cannot be overstated."
>>>
>>> MIT Press Reader
>>>
>>> By John M. Jordan
>>>
>>> By the time his play “R.U.R.” (which stands for “Rossum’s Universal
>>> Robots”) premiered in Prague in 1921, Karel Čapek was a well-known
>>> Czech intellectual. Like many of his peers, he was appalled by the
>>> carnage wrought by the mechanical and chemical weapons that marked
>>> World War I as a departure from previous combat. He was also deeply
>>> skeptical of the utopian notions of science and technology. “The
>>> product of the human brain has escaped the control of human hands,”
>>> Čapek told the London Saturday Review following the play’s premiere.
>>> “This is the comedy of science.”
>>>
>>> In that same interview, Čapek reflected on the origin of one of the
>>> play’s characters...
>>>

>>> (snip)
>>

>> I see in the newspaper archives that the play got a big boost
>> in September 1922 by having its first American performance
>> mentioned in "New York Letter," a nationally syndicated
>> gossip column by Lucy Jeanne Price.
>
> I was aware of the play, though I have never seen or read it. I think it
> had a big influence on early SF. Van Vogt in particular, seemed to go with
> Capek-like robots rather than the clanky kind.

"R.U.R" was actually assigned reading in one of my high school classes.
At this remove, I don't remember anything about the story except the
feeling that I enjoyed it, but it wasn't great.

Tony

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / "The Czech Play That Gave Us the Word ‘Robot’ "