From: jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Roknari vs. Quintarians
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2024 21:56:40 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 02:56 UTC

I can't find the post that led me to this review,
so I am starting a new thread.

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/possessed

<quote>

This means the setting has a built-in theological dispute that vexes
me every time I encounter it: the doctrinal dispute between the
Roknari, who believe there are four gods and a being of pure
eeeeeevil, and Penric’s people, who believe there are five gods. In a
world where gods actively interfere (and thus can be made the subjects
of rational experimentation), how is this sort of doctrinal division
possible?

</quote>

Neither the Roknari nor the Quintarians strike me as impossible

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: Roknari vs. Quintarians

<9ee43db5-928f-44aa-99b2-52132adb8b68n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96334&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96334

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 11:16:57 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Roknari vs. Quintarians
From: mcdowell_ag@sky.com (Andrew McDowell)
 by: Andrew McDowell - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:16 UTC

On Friday, February 9, 2024 at 2:56:45 AM UTC, Joy Beeson wrote:
> I can't find the post that led me to this review,
> so I am starting a new thread.
>

> https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/possessed
>
> <quote>
>
> This means the setting has a built-in theological dispute that vexes
> me every time I encounter it: the doctrinal dispute between the
> Roknari, who believe there are four gods and a being of pure
> eeeeeevil, and Penric’s people, who believe there are five gods. In a
> world where gods actively interfere (and thus can be made the subjects
> of rational experimentation), how is this sort of doctrinal division
> possible?
>
> </quote>
>
> Neither the Roknari nor the Quintarians strike me as impossible
>
> --
> Joy Beeson
> joy beeson at centurylink dot net
> http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
Bujold has tried to limit the power of the gods: they cannot affect matter directly, but only by persuading people to do things. One of the early books has a nice parable; the priest places a cup upside down and then attempts to pour wine into it. The result, of course, is that the wine spills over the table without filling the cup, symbolising the impotence of the gods if humans are not open to them. Given that, the main problem with the setup is one faced today by millions - why did the wise gods not inspire people with things like the germ theory of disease?

As for the Roknari vs the Quintarians; these people are faced with the problem of assessing the character of a mischievous god/demon whose works and whose plans span several human lifetimes, and are not openly proclaimed, so it is not altogether surprising that there is a difference of opinion. Of course, we are largely shown the Quintarian side of the story, with the Quintarians as the good guys; if you find some inconsistency with the Quintarian story, you might consider the possibility that the Roknari are in the right :-)

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Roknari vs. Quintarians