Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. -- Publilius Syrus

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Nebula Finalists 1970

SubjectAuthor
* Nebula Finalists 1970James Nicoll
+* Re: Nebula Finalists 1970Chris Buckley
|`- Re: Nebula Finalists 1970James Nicoll
`- Re: Nebula Finalists 1970David Duffy

1
Nebula Finalists 1970

<uqdaus$d4h$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96436&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96436

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Nebula Finalists 1970
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:45:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 14:45 UTC

Another Monday, another foray in the tantalizing world of old time
Nebula Award Finalists. This week, we cast our minds back to that
very groovy year, 1970!

The full list:

1970 Nebula Finalist Novels

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Bug Jack Barron by Norman Spinrad
Isle of the Dead by Roger Zelazny
The Jagged Orbit by John Brunner
Up the Line by Robert Silverberg

1970 Nebula Finalist Novellas

A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison
Ship of Shadows by Fritz Leiber
Dramatic Mission by Anne McCaffrey
Probable Cause by Charles L. Harness
To Jorslem by Robert Silverberg

1970 Nebula Finalist Novelettes

Time Considered As a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany
Nine Lives by Ursula K. Le Guin
The Big Flash by Norman Spinrad
Deeper Than the Darkness by Gregory Benford

1970 Nebula Finalist Short Stories

Passengers by Robert Silverberg
Shattered Like a Glass Goblin by Harlan Ellison
Not Long Before the End by Larry Niven
The Last Flight of Dr. Ain by James Tiptree, Jr.
The Man Who Learned Loving by Theodore Sturgeon

and the ones I've read:

1970 Nebula Finalist Novels

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Slaughterhouse-Five or The Children's Crusade: A Duty-Dance with Death by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Bug Jack Barron by Norman Spinrad
Isle of the Dead by Roger Zelazny
The Jagged Orbit by John Brunner
Up the Line by Robert Silverberg

1970 Nebula Finalist Novellas

A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison
Ship of Shadows by Fritz Leiber
Dramatic Mission by Anne McCaffrey
To Jorslem by Robert Silverberg

1970 Nebula Finalist Novelettes
Time Considered As a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany
Nine Lives by Ursula K. Le Guin
The Big Flash by Norman Spinrad

1970 Nebula Finalist Short Stories

Passengers by Robert Silverberg
Shattered Like a Glass Goblin by Harlan Ellison
Not Long Before the End by Larry Niven
The Last Flight of Dr. Ain by James Tiptree, Jr.

Re: Nebula Finalists 1970

<l2utjmFm8lnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96439&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96439

From: alan@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Nebula Finalists 1970
Date: 12 Feb 2024 15:59:50 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:59 UTC

On 2024-02-12, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> 1970 Nebula Finalist Novels
> The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
> Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
> Bug Jack Barron by Norman Spinrad
> Isle of the Dead by Roger Zelazny
> The Jagged Orbit by John Brunner
> Up the Line by Robert Silverberg

Read all. LeGuin,Spinrad, and Brunner are all on my Favorites bookcase

> 1970 Nebula Finalist Novellas
> A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison
> Ship of Shadows by Fritz Leiber
> Dramatic Mission by Anne McCaffrey
> Probable Cause by Charles L. Harness
> To Jorslem by Robert Silverberg

Read only Ellison and Leiber.

> 1970 Nebula Finalist Novelettes
> Time Considered As a Helix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel R. Delany
> Nine Lives by Ursula K. Le Guin
> The Big Flash by Norman Spinrad
> Deeper Than the Darkness by Gregory Benford

Read all, but the Benford only in the full novel form not this one.

> 1970 Nebula Finalist Short Stories
> Passengers by Robert Silverberg
> Shattered Like a Glass Goblin by Harlan Ellison
> Not Long Before the End by Larry Niven
> The Last Flight of Dr. Ain by James Tiptree, Jr.
> The Man Who Learned Loving by Theodore Sturgeon

Read all but the Tiptree (despite it being reprinted so much!)

I'm almost at the end of my major shorter work reading. A couple more
random Nebula Award anthologies, and the Hugo Award anthologies, but
that's pretty much it as I transitioned to almost all novels around
1974 (and bought 99% used (cheap) books before then so don't have
1971-1974).

Chris

Re: Nebula Finalists 1970

<uqdg82$jsi$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96440&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96440

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:16:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 16:16 UTC

A bizarre gap in my reading: as far as I can tell, I've never read a
Nebula winners anthology. There's a project that would keep me busy. Maybe
once I am done Shockwave Reader...

Re: Nebula Finalists 1970

<uqeus3$1v80i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96474&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96474

From: davidd02@tpg.com.au (David Duffy)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2024 05:31:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Duffy - Tue, 13 Feb 2024 05:31 UTC

James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> Another Monday, another foray in the tantalizing world of old time
> Nebula Award Finalists. This week, we cast our minds back to that
> very groovy year, 1970!

I think comparing and contrasting with another year is more fun than a list
of what you haven't read. Then we can complain that we now live in the age
of Tin. Like 1970 v 2000, though
https://nebulas.sfwa.org/award-year/1969/
gives your list as 1969 than 1970 - yes, I know they are awarded retrospectively.

I have read all the novels in both, so I will rank them:

[1] 1969 Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., published by Delacorte
[2] 1969 Winner: The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin, published by Ace
[3] 1969 Isle of the Dead by Roger Zelazny, published by Ace
[4] 2000 A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold, published by Baen
[5] 1969 Up the Line by Robert Silverberg, published by Amazing Stories and Ballantine
[6] 1969 Bug Jack Barron by Norman Spinrad, published by Avon
[7] 1969 The Jagged Orbit by John Brunner, published by Ace
[8] 2000 Winner: Darwin???s Radio by Greg Bear, published by Ballantine Del Rey
[9] 2000 Crescent City Rhapsody by Kathleen Ann Goonan, published by Avon Eos
[10] 2000 Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopkinson, published by Grand Central
[11] 2000 Forests of the Heart by Charles de Lint, published by Tor
[12] 2000 Infinity Beach by Jack McDevitt, published by HarperPrism

Actually, I really like Bear, and did like _Darwin???s Radio_, but I still find it
gets pushed down this list that far, though in fairness it is a while since
I read the Silverberg.

Cheers, David Duffy.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Nebula Finalists 1970