"...a most excellent barbarian ... Genghis Kahn!" -- _Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure_

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / A Movie I'd Like to See

SubjectAuthor
* A Movie I'd Like to SeeQuadibloc
`- Re: A Movie I'd Like to SeeScott Lurndal

1
A Movie I'd Like to See

<300baf37-c2b5-4d03-b2cc-73f9d294c684n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96550&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96550

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:08:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: A Movie I'd Like to See
From: jsavard@ecn.ab.ca (Quadibloc)
 by: Quadibloc - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 17:08 UTC

In the movie Moonraker, we see footage presumably shot on the
premises of North American Rockwell wherein Hugo Drax is shown
as making the Space Shuttle for the U.S. Government - but he
keeps a few for himself for his project of re-seeding the Earth with
his very own Master Race.

The thought came to me of having footage like that in a rather
different kind of movie.

Here, the company making Space Shuttles is run by a woman. Who
inherited the business from her *adoptive* father.

And she is carrying on with other traditions of this business. She
has a bodyguard who hails from the Far East. She is not above taking
the law into her own hands to safeguard the secret weapons she has
devised from foreign spies... weapons she is keeping secret even from
the United States government unless the need arises, given the precedent
of how the atom bomb slipped out.

Given that she _could_ be mistaken for a Bond villain, perhaps one
plot line that could be used is that, on one fine day, her bodyguard
brings to her one Alexander Gordon, let's say, who was poking into
her secrets...

Unhand him.

If you were working for Russia, or China, or some international
criminal syndicate, I would indeed have no qualms about having
you killed by my own order, as a private citizen, even though that's
technically murder - like my father before me.

But you are here on behalf of Her Majesty's Government, and so we
are both on the same side, even though you may find that difficult
to believe for the moment. I hope to convince you of that, and I shall
begin by letting you see the secrets you've veen looking for.

No, Mr. Gordon. I'm a _good_ girl. I happen to know that there is
a God above, even if He is not necessarily what some people expect
Him to be.

What makes you so sure?

We've met.

You're daft!

I'm not surprised that you would say that. But He didn't come to Earth
to see me; I just saw Him because He used to visit my father. Regularly.
Apparently, He found him to be interesting company.

I didn't know who I was seeing at the time; I couldn't have understood
it then, much less believed it. Nor was I familiar enough with Scripture
to know that one of His names was I AM THAT I AM.

I just called him "Mister Am".

....so you can guess that the title would be something like "Ann
Warbucks, C.E.O.".

Hey, it would be of a piece with many of the other comic-book
superhero movies of recent years...

And I suppose the protagonist could unveil to Alexander Gordon,
secret agent 0029... a spaceship embodying a form of the
Alcubierre Drive. Just the thing to have for a rainy day... and, thus,
not unlike something that her past acquaintance inspired someone
else to build once before long ago, as legend says...

John Savard

Re: A Movie I'd Like to See

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96556&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96556

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Subject: Re: A Movie I'd Like to See
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 17:45:57 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 17:45 UTC

Quadibloc <jsavard@ecn.ab.ca> writes:
>In the movie Moonraker, we see footage presumably shot on the
>premises of North American Rockwell wherein Hugo Drax is shown
>as making the Space Shuttle for the U.S. Government

That would have been the Downey, California plant.

https://www.etec.energy.gov/Library/Downey.php

I went to an L5 society meeting there once in the early
80's. They had a full-size shuttle mockup in the plant.

There's a shopping center at that site now.