I'd rather just believe that it's done by little elves running around.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Why on earth

SubjectAuthor
* Why on earthJames Nicoll
+* Re: Why on earthPaul S Person
|`- Re: Why on earthJames Nicoll
+* Re: Why on earthRobert Woodward
|`* Re: Why on earthScott Dorsey
| `* Re: Why on earthRobert Carnegie
|  `* Re: Why on earthScott Dorsey
|   `* Re: Why on earthBCFD 36
|    `* Re: Why on earthD
|     `* Re: Why on earthWolfFan
|      +* Re: Why on earthD
|      |`* Re: Why on earthScott Dorsey
|      | `* Re: Why on earthLynn McGuire
|      |  +- Re: Why on earthDavid Duffy
|      |  `* Re: Why on earthD
|      |   `* Re: Why on earthPaul S Person
|      |    `* Re: Why on earthRobert Woodward
|      |     +- Re: Why on earthPaul S Person
|      |     `* Re: Why on earthPaul S Person
|      |      `* Re: Why on earthDimensional Traveler
|      |       `* Re: Why on earthted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|      |        `* Re: Why on earthDimensional Traveler
|      |         `* Re: Why on earthted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|      |          `* Re: Why on earthRobert Carnegie
|      |           `* Re: Why on earthPaul S Person
|      |            `- Re: Why on earthCryptoengineer
|      +* Re: Why on earthdgold
|      |`- Re: Why on earthPaul S Person
|      `- Re: Why on earthWilliam Hyde
+- Re: Why on earthLynn McGuire
`* Re: Why on earthTitus G
 +- Re: Why on earthLynn McGuire
 `- Re: Why on earthWilliam Hyde

Pages:12
Re: Why on earth

<82tpsildu3uv0b5ids2e812hc88gdt3ibk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96554&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96554

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Why on earth
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 09:13:35 -0800
References: <uq85kl$mu6$1@panix2.panix.com> <691efa70-7dc4-e146-b4d1-b86d838a3a73@example.net> <0001HW.2B7980EE00852AE57000094E938F@news.eternal-september.org> <3c57878b-7b8e-efc5-13fe-32acafcaacae@example.net> <uqcp51$l89$1@panix2.panix.com> <uqejru$1puam$1@dont-email.me> <00ffa85e-f001-a996-570a-8d3edc816126@example.net> <uf5nsi5ph9oohvd9dva176pgm6douovajo@4ax.com> <robertaw-E771EF.09545813022024@news.individual.net>
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 17:13 UTC

On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 09:54:58 -0800, Robert Woodward
<robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:

>In article <uf5nsi5ph9oohvd9dva176pgm6douovajo@4ax.com>,
> Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>> >Interesting! I like both Dune and Lord of the rings, so interesting to
>> >hear that those two represent "problem books" for others.
>> >

>> I bounced from LOTR the first time, but the second time I persisted
>> unitl the silliness abated and we left Bree. From that point it
>> worked.
>
>I bounced from _LOTR_ the first time as well (I think it was the Council
>of Elrond where I lost interest - a committee scene - I might had been
>15 at the time).

<oops! forgot to add this -- lots of exposition.>

<a lot of exposition.> Which is probably why, the movie, it is the
Shouting Match of Elrond, which is degenerating into the Bar Brawl of
Elrond when Frodo speaks up.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: Why on earth

<uqivgv$2ol9l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96557&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96557

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 10:07:29 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:07 UTC

On 2/14/2024 9:13 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 09:54:58 -0800, Robert Woodward
> <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <uf5nsi5ph9oohvd9dva176pgm6douovajo@4ax.com>,
>> Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:

>>> I bounced from LOTR the first time, but the second time I persisted
>>> unitl the silliness abated and we left Bree. From that point it
>>> worked.
>>
>> I bounced from _LOTR_ the first time as well (I think it was the Council
>> of Elrond where I lost interest - a committee scene - I might had been
>> 15 at the time).
>
> <oops! forgot to add this -- lots of exposition.>
>
> <a lot of exposition.> Which is probably why, the movie, it is the
> Shouting Match of Elrond, which is degenerating into the Bar Brawl of
> Elrond when Frodo speaks up.

I never had any problem reading LoTR in my teens. I read the entire
Baum OZ series as a child too along with a significant number of other
books. I had access my mother's entire childhood library and _her_
mother's childhood library and read a lot.

dirty old man.

Re: Why on earth

<l34evtFmqkdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96558&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96558

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 14 Feb 2024 18:27:09 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 18:27 UTC

In article <uqivgv$2ol9l$1@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 2/14/2024 9:13 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 09:54:58 -0800, Robert Woodward
>> <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:

>>> I bounced from _LOTR_ the first time as well (I think it was the Council
>>> of Elrond where I lost interest - a committee scene - I might had been
>>> 15 at the time).
>>
>> <oops! forgot to add this -- lots of exposition.>
>>
>> <a lot of exposition.> Which is probably why, the movie, it is the
>> Shouting Match of Elrond, which is degenerating into the Bar Brawl of
>> Elrond when Frodo speaks up.
>
>I never had any problem reading LoTR in my teens. I read the entire
>Baum OZ series as a child too along with a significant number of other
>books. I had access my mother's entire childhood library and _her_
>mother's childhood library and read a lot.

Now "OZ" I bounced off of many times. Finally forced myself to finish
it a few years ago, but man it was a slog.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Why on earth

<uqj52g$2popm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96559&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96559

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2024 11:42:10 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 19:42 UTC

On 2/14/2024 10:27 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <uqivgv$2ol9l$1@dont-email.me>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> On 2/14/2024 9:13 AM, Paul S Person wrote:

>>> <oops! forgot to add this -- lots of exposition.>
>>>
>>> <a lot of exposition.> Which is probably why, the movie, it is the
>>> Shouting Match of Elrond, which is degenerating into the Bar Brawl of
>>> Elrond when Frodo speaks up.
>>
>> I never had any problem reading LoTR in my teens. I read the entire
>> Baum OZ series as a child too along with a significant number of other
>> books. I had access my mother's entire childhood library and _her_
>> mother's childhood library and read a lot.
>>

> Now "OZ" I bounced off of many times. Finally forced myself to finish
> it a few years ago, but man it was a slog.

Do you remember why it was such a slog for you?

dirty old man.

Re: Why on earth

<l34p9lFofj7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96562&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96562

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 14 Feb 2024 21:23:01 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 14 Feb 2024 21:23 UTC

In article <uqj52g$2popm$1@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 2/14/2024 10:27 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <uqivgv$2ol9l$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>and think
>actually worked.

>read Dune
>school and
>reading it

>is enough.

>>> I never had any problem reading LoTR in my teens. I read the entire
>>> Baum OZ series as a child too along with a significant number of other
>>> books. I had access my mother's entire childhood library and _her_
>>> mother's childhood library and read a lot.
>>>

>> Now "OZ" I bounced off of many times. Finally forced myself to finish
>> it a few years ago, but man it was a slog.
>
>Do you remember why it was such a slog for you?
>
>--
>I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
>dirty old man.

Hard to say as I've already forgotten a lot of it, but some of it
was that everything was just so matter-of-fact for Dorothy. I never
felt she really reacted to anything farfetched happening, and never
felt she was in any danger.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Why on earth

<uqk1ln$328pi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96589&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96589

From: rja.carnegie@gmail.com (Robert Carnegie)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 03:50:11 +0000
 by: Robert Carnegie - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 03:50 UTC

On 14/02/2024 21:23, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <uqj52g$2popm$1@dont-email.me>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>> On 2/14/2024 10:27 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

>> and think
>> actually worked.

>> read Dune
>> school and
>> reading it

>> is enough.

>>> Now "OZ" I bounced off of many times. Finally forced myself to finish
>>> it a few years ago, but man it was a slog.
>>
>> Do you remember why it was such a slog for you?
>>
>> --
>> I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
>> dirty old man.
>>

> Hard to say as I've already forgotten a lot of it, but some of it
> was that everything was just so matter-of-fact for Dorothy. I never
> felt she really reacted to anything farfetched happening, and never
> felt she was in any danger.

The first book... If you know some of
the plot before you get to it, which after
all is written into modern American culture,
then you don't get the effect of surprise.
It was written for children, of course.
Dorothy meets threats. But she also has
friends, and assets, that protect her
against, say, casual highwaymen. I don't
remember myself if there are highwaymen.
There are the Hammer-Heads as a hazard
to travelers. They're not in the film.
Oz is not a safe place whien Dorothy arrives.
And getting there was a traumatic experience
in itself.

Re: Why on earth

<8jfssiltfkf85l4dn5m32311gu53oa81b3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96602&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96602

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 08:41:47 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 16:41 UTC

On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 03:50:11 +0000, Robert Carnegie
<rja.carnegie@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 14/02/2024 21:23, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <uqj52g$2popm$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> and think
>>> actually worked.

>>> read Dune
>>> school and
>>> reading it

>>> is enough.

>>> Do you remember why it was such a slog for you?
>>>
>>> --
>>> I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
>>> dirty old man.
>>>

>> Hard to say as I've already forgotten a lot of it, but some of it
>> was that everything was just so matter-of-fact for Dorothy. I never
>> felt she really reacted to anything farfetched happening, and never
>> felt she was in any danger.
>
>The first book... If you know some of
>the plot before you get to it, which after
>all is written into modern American culture,
>then you don't get the effect of surprise.
>It was written for children, of course.
>Dorothy meets threats. But she also has
>friends, and assets, that protect her
>against, say, casual highwaymen. I don't
>remember myself if there are highwaymen.
>There are the Hammer-Heads as a hazard
>to travelers. They're not in the film.
>Oz is not a safe place whien Dorothy arrives.
>And getting there was a traumatic experience
>in itself.

My favorite Oz stories are /Zardoz/ and a short-story in which Glenda
is not as good as she seems and the Munchkins are her agents. The
climax comes when they switch a pitcher of water with one of acid.

Now /that/ made sense!
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"

Re: Why on earth

<uqljto$3dfj3$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96615&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96615

From: petertrei@gmail.com (Cryptoengineer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 13:07:52 -0500
 by: Cryptoengineer - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:07 UTC

On 2/15/2024 11:41 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2024 03:50:11 +0000, Robert Carnegie
> <rja.carnegie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14/02/2024 21:23, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:

>>> Hard to say as I've already forgotten a lot of it, but some of it
>>> was that everything was just so matter-of-fact for Dorothy. I never
>>> felt she really reacted to anything farfetched happening, and never
>>> felt she was in any danger.
>>
>> The first book... If you know some of
>> the plot before you get to it, which after
>> all is written into modern American culture,
>> then you don't get the effect of surprise.
>> It was written for children, of course.
>> Dorothy meets threats. But she also has
>> friends, and assets, that protect her
>> against, say, casual highwaymen. I don't
>> remember myself if there are highwaymen.
>> There are the Hammer-Heads as a hazard
>> to travelers. They're not in the film.
>> Oz is not a safe place whien Dorothy arrives.
>> And getting there was a traumatic experience
>> in itself.
>
> My favorite Oz stories are /Zardoz/ and a short-story in which Glenda
> is not as good as she seems and the Munchkins are her agents. The
> climax comes when they switch a pitcher of water with one of acid.
>
> Now /that/ made sense!

You might like 'Wicked'. Also, PJF's "A barnstormer in Oz'.

Oz was one of the first milieus to fall out of copyright, in 1956, but
I don't recall seeing anyone write new stories in it until the 80s.

pt