Xerox never comes up with anything original.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971

SubjectAuthor
* (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971James Nicoll
+* Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971Chris Buckley
|`- Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971James Nicoll
`* Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971William Hyde
 `* Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971Ahasuerus
  +- Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971Robert Carnegie
  `- Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan

1
(Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971

<uqvqpn$i3o$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96723&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96723

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 15:06:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 15:06 UTC

1971 Nebula Finalist Novels

Ringworld by Larry Niven
And Chaos Died by Joanna Russ
Tower of Glass by Robert Silverberg
The Year of the Quiet Sun by Wilson Tucker
Fourth Mansions by R. A. Lafferty
The Steel Crocodile by D. G. Compton

1971 Nebula Finalist Novellas

Ill Met in Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber
The Thing in the Stone by Clifford D. Simak
The Region Between by Harlan Ellison
April Fools' Day Forever by Kate Wilhelm
The Fatal Fulfillment by Poul Anderson
A Style in Treason by James Blish

1971 Nebula Finalist Novelettes

Slow Sculpture by Theodore Sturgeon
Continued on Next Rock by R. A. Lafferty
The Asian Shore by Thomas M. Disch
The Shaker Revival by Gerald Jonas
The Second Inquisition by Joanna Russ
Dear Aunt Annie by Gordon Eklund

1971 Nebula Finalist Short Stories

The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories by Gene Wolfe
Entire and Perfect Chrysolite by R. A. Lafferty
In the Queue by Keith Laumer
By the Falls by Harry Harrison
The Creation of Bennie Good by James Sallis
A Dream at Noonday by Gardner Dozois
A Cold Dark Night with Snow by Kate Wilhelm

Of which I have read:

Novels
Ringworld by Larry Niven
Tower of Glass by Robert Silverberg
The Year of the Quiet Sun by Wilson Tucker
The Steel Crocodile by D. G. Compton

Novellas
Ill Met in Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber
The Thing in the Stone by Clifford D. Simak
The Region Between by Harlan Ellison
April Fools' Day Forever by Kate Wilhelm
The Fatal Fulfillment by Poul Anderson
A Style in Treason by James Blish

Novelettes
Continued on Next Rock by R. A. Lafferty
The Asian Shore by Thomas M. Disch

Short Stories
The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories by Gene Wolfe
Entire and Perfect Chrysolite by R. A. Lafferty
In the Queue by Keith Laumer
By the Falls by Harry Harrison
The Creation of Bennie Good by James Sallis
A Dream at Noonday by Gardner Dozois
A Cold Dark Night with Snow by Kate Wilhelm

Many finalists first appeared in Orbit, which is why the SFWA grognard
contingent orchestrated a No Award win for short story.

Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971

<l3hjjiF32k2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96734&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96734

From: alan@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971
Date: 19 Feb 2024 18:05:38 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 18:05 UTC

On 2024-02-19, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> 1971 Nebula Finalist Novels
> Ringworld by Larry Niven
> And Chaos Died by Joanna Russ
> Tower of Glass by Robert Silverberg
> The Year of the Quiet Sun by Wilson Tucker
> Fourth Mansions by R. A. Lafferty
> The Steel Crocodile by D. G. Compton

Read all. Ringworld is the only one on the Favorite's bookcase, though I
liked the Russ and Silverberg.

> 1971 Nebula Finalist Novellas
> Ill Met in Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber
> The Thing in the Stone by Clifford D. Simak
> The Region Between by Harlan Ellison
> April Fools' Day Forever by Kate Wilhelm
> The Fatal Fulfillment by Poul Anderson
> A Style in Treason by James Blish

Read all but the Blish. The Ellison and Anderson were both in _Five Fates_
which is on my Favorite's bookcase. This is perhaps the major success, IMO,
of "all original works based on a common prologue". I thought all five of the
stories were very good and very different.

> 1971 Nebula Finalist Novelettes
> Slow Sculpture by Theodore Sturgeon
> Continued on Next Rock by R. A. Lafferty
> The Asian Shore by Thomas M. Disch
> The Shaker Revival by Gerald Jonas
> The Second Inquisition by Joanna Russ
> Dear Aunt Annie by Gordon Eklund

Just the Sturgeon, I think.

> 1971 Nebula Finalist Short Stories
> The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories by Gene Wolfe
> Entire and Perfect Chrysolite by R. A. Lafferty
> In the Queue by Keith Laumer
> By the Falls by Harry Harrison
> The Creation of Bennie Good by James Sallis
> A Dream at Noonday by Gardner Dozois
> A Cold Dark Night with Snow by Kate Wilhelm

Just the Wolfe

Chris

Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971

<ur06j0$89s$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96735&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96735

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 18:27:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 18:27 UTC

In article <l3hjjiF32k2U1@mid.individual.net>,
Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:
>On 2024-02-19, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>> 1971 Nebula Finalist Novels
>> Ringworld by Larry Niven
>> And Chaos Died by Joanna Russ
>> Tower of Glass by Robert Silverberg
>> The Year of the Quiet Sun by Wilson Tucker
>> Fourth Mansions by R. A. Lafferty
>> The Steel Crocodile by D. G. Compton
>
>Read all. Ringworld is the only one on the Favorite's bookcase, though I
>liked the Russ and Silverberg.
>
>> 1971 Nebula Finalist Novellas
>> Ill Met in Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber
>> The Thing in the Stone by Clifford D. Simak
>> The Region Between by Harlan Ellison
>> April Fools' Day Forever by Kate Wilhelm
>> The Fatal Fulfillment by Poul Anderson
>> A Style in Treason by James Blish
>
>Read all but the Blish. The Ellison and Anderson were both in _Five Fates_
>which is on my Favorite's bookcase. This is perhaps the major success, IMO,
>of "all original works based on a common prologue". I thought all five of the
>stories were very good and very different.
>
>> 1971 Nebula Finalist Novelettes
>> Slow Sculpture by Theodore Sturgeon
>> Continued on Next Rock by R. A. Lafferty
>> The Asian Shore by Thomas M. Disch
>> The Shaker Revival by Gerald Jonas
>> The Second Inquisition by Joanna Russ
>> Dear Aunt Annie by Gordon Eklund
>
>Just the Sturgeon, I think.
>
>> 1971 Nebula Finalist Short Stories
>> The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories by Gene Wolfe
>> Entire and Perfect Chrysolite by R. A. Lafferty
>> In the Queue by Keith Laumer
>> By the Falls by Harry Harrison
>> The Creation of Bennie Good by James Sallis
>> A Dream at Noonday by Gardner Dozois
>> A Cold Dark Night with Snow by Kate Wilhelm
>
>Just the Wolfe

If by any change you read Orbit 6 and 7 (I think), you've read a lot of
them.

Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971

<008825c0-5793-49d5-b107-b08d51065e44n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96751&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96751

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 14:18:20 -0800 (PST)
From: wthyde1953@gmail.com (William Hyde)
 by: William Hyde - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 22:18 UTC

On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 10:06:34 AM UTC-5, James Nicoll wrote:
> 1971 Nebula Finalist Novels
>
> Ringworld by Larry Niven
> And Chaos Died by Joanna Russ
> Tower of Glass by Robert Silverberg
> The Year of the Quiet Sun by Wilson Tucker
> Fourth Mansions by R. A. Lafferty
> The Steel Crocodile by D. G. Compton
>
> 1971 Nebula Finalist Novellas
>
> Ill Met in Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber
> The Thing in the Stone by Clifford D. Simak
> The Region Between by Harlan Ellison
> April Fools' Day Forever by Kate Wilhelm
> The Fatal Fulfillment by Poul Anderson
> A Style in Treason by James Blish
>
> 1971 Nebula Finalist Novelettes
>
> Slow Sculpture by Theodore Sturgeon
> Continued on Next Rock by R. A. Lafferty
> The Asian Shore by Thomas M. Disch
> The Shaker Revival by Gerald Jonas
> The Second Inquisition by Joanna Russ
> Dear Aunt Annie by Gordon Eklund
>
> 1971 Nebula Finalist Short Stories
>
> The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories by Gene Wolfe
> Entire and Perfect Chrysolite by R. A. Lafferty
> In the Queue by Keith Laumer
> By the Falls by Harry Harrison
> The Creation of Bennie Good by James Sallis
> A Dream at Noonday by Gardner Dozois
> A Cold Dark Night with Snow by Kate Wilhelm
>
> Of which I have read:
>
> Novels
> Ringworld by Larry Niven
> Tower of Glass by Robert Silverberg
> The Year of the Quiet Sun by Wilson Tucker
> The Steel Crocodile by D. G. Compton
>
> Novellas
> Ill Met in Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber
> The Thing in the Stone by Clifford D. Simak
> The Region Between by Harlan Ellison
> April Fools' Day Forever by Kate Wilhelm
> The Fatal Fulfillment by Poul Anderson
> A Style in Treason by James Blish
>
> Novelettes
> Continued on Next Rock by R. A. Lafferty
> The Asian Shore by Thomas M. Disch
>
> Short Stories
> The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories by Gene Wolfe
> Entire and Perfect Chrysolite by R. A. Lafferty
> In the Queue by Keith Laumer
> By the Falls by Harry Harrison
> The Creation of Bennie Good by James Sallis
> A Dream at Noonday by Gardner Dozois
> A Cold Dark Night with Snow by Kate Wilhelm
>

> Many finalists first appeared in Orbit, which is why the SFWA grognard
> contingent orchestrated a No Award win for short story.

I've read all of them. But this is the last year before university, chess, and
more diverse reading interests began to cut into my SF reading so I don't
expect to do as well ever again.

The grognards look utterly absurd now. Gene Wolfe remains one of the
giants of the field, while they are always the people who ... did that.

At least they could have voted for Laumer. Not a lot of spaceships and
blasters in that story, but he had plenty in other work.

William Hyde

Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971

<ur0lbs$23fft$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96753&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96753

From: ahasuerus@email.com (Ahasuerus)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 17:39:56 -0500
 by: Ahasuerus - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 22:39 UTC

On 2/19/2024 5:18 PM, William Hyde wrote:
[snip-snip]
> The grognards look utterly absurd now. Gene Wolfe remains one of the
> giants of the field, while they are always the people who ... did that.
>
> At least they could have voted for Laumer. Not a lot of spaceships and
> blasters in that story, but he had plenty in other work.

Apparently it was James Sallis’s “The Creation of Benny Hill” that
particularly infuriated them. Here is what Gardner Dozois once wrote
(https://www.tor.com/2011/02/20/hugo-nominees-1971/comment-page-1/#comment-166772)
about the episode:

> This was the height of the War of the New Wave, and passions
> between the New Wave camp and the conservative Old Guard camp
> were running high. (The same year, Michael Moorcock said in a
> review that the only way SFWA could have found a worse thing
> than RINGWORLD to give the Nebula to was to give it to a comic
> book). The fact that the short story ballot was almost
> completely made up of stuff from ORBIT had outraged the Old
> Guard, particularly James Sallis’s surreal “The Creation of
> Benny Hill”, and they block-voted for No Award as a protest
> against “non-functional word patterns” making the ballot.
> Judy-Lynn del Rey told me as much immediately after the
> banquet, when she was exuberantly gloating about how they’d
> “put ORBIT in its place” with the voting results, and
> actually said “We won!”

Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971

<ur21vc$2fkbl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96767&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96767

From: rja.carnegie@gmail.com (Robert Carnegie)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 11:21:11 +0000
 by: Robert Carnegie - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 11:21 UTC

On 19/02/2024 22:39, Ahasuerus wrote:
> On 2/19/2024 5:18 PM, William Hyde wrote:
> [snip-snip]
>> The grognards look utterly absurd now.  Gene Wolfe remains one of the
>> giants of the field, while they are always the people who ... did that.
>>
>> At least they could have voted for Laumer.  Not a lot of spaceships and
>> blasters in that story, but he had plenty in other work.
>
> Apparently it was James Sallis’s “The Creation of Benny Hill” that
> particularly infuriated them. Here is what Gardner Dozois once wrote
> (https://www.tor.com/2011/02/20/hugo-nominees-1971/comment-page-1/#comment-166772) about the episode:

Or https://reactormag.com/hugo-nominees-1971/#comment-166772
And I see that this 2011 page has an archive of
the comments from tor dot com - perhaps
being presumably closed for comments
before it was moved to Reactor. Whereas
current conversations at the time of
the move may have to be considered lapsed?

When comments were in date order, I was
keeping any interesting page open until
no one had said anything in the last week.

Re: (Nebula) Nebula Finalists 1971

<l3mislFiilU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96829&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96829

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 21 Feb 2024 15:24:05 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:24 UTC

In article <ur0lbs$23fft$2@dont-email.me>,
Ahasuerus <ahasuerus@email.com> wrote:
>On 2/19/2024 5:18 PM, William Hyde wrote:
>[snip-snip]
>> The grognards look utterly absurd now. Gene Wolfe remains one of the
>> giants of the field, while they are always the people who ... did that.
>>
>> At least they could have voted for Laumer. Not a lot of spaceships and
>> blasters in that story, but he had plenty in other work.
>
>Apparently it was James Sallis’s “The Creation of Benny Hill” that
>particularly infuriated them. Here is what Gardner Dozois once wrote
>(https://www.tor.com/2011/02/20/hugo-nominees-1971/comment-page-1/#comment-166772)
>about the episode:
>
> > This was the height of the War of the New Wave, and passions
> > between the New Wave camp and the conservative Old Guard camp
> > were running high. (The same year, Michael Moorcock said in a
> > review that the only way SFWA could have found a worse thing
> > than RINGWORLD to give the Nebula to was to give it to a comic
> > book). The fact that the short story ballot was almost

Kind of ironic..

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/752022/the-michael-moorcock-library-elric-the-making-of-a-sorcerer-by-written-by-michael-moorcock/
--
columbiaclosings.com