So little time, so little to do. -- Oscar Levant

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / The End of Google Groups.

SubjectAuthor
* The End of Google Groups.pete...@gmail.com
+* Re: The End of Google Groups.Lynn McGuire
|`* Re: The End of Google Groups.Tony Nance
| `* Re: The End of Google Groups.Cryptoengineer
|  `* Re: The End of Google Groups.ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|   `* Re: The End of Google Groups.Scott Dorsey
|    +- Re: The End of Google Groups.Cryptoengineer
|    +* Re: The End of Google Groups.Gary R. Schmidt
|    |`- Re: The End of Google Groups.ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|    `- Re: The End of Google Groups.Christian Weisgerber
+- Re: The End of Google Groups.Tony Nance
`* Re: The End of Google Groups.Quadibloc
 +* Re: The End of Google Groups.David Dalton
 |`* Re: The End of Google Groups.Blueshirt
 | `* Re: The End of Google Groups.D
 |  `* Re: The End of Google Groups.Scott Dorsey
 |   +* Re: The End of Google Groups.Blueshirt
 |   |`* Re: The End of Google Groups.Scott Dorsey
 |   | `- Re: The End of Google Groups.Dimensional Traveler
 |   `- Re: The End of Google Groups.D
 +- Re: The End of Google Groups.Blueshirt
 `- Re: The End of Google Groups.Robert Carnegie

1
The End of Google Groups.

<332f003e-9d2a-43e2-b70b-535a3b87ec18n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96844&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96844

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:47:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: The End of Google Groups.
From: petertrei@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:47 UTC

Starting tomorrow, Google will no longer support new Usenet content.
This is probably the last post I will make through GG.

What a long strange trip its been. I've been on Usenet since the early 80s.
At that time, though certainly some people kept private archives, most
regarded Usenet content as ephemeral as toilet paper - once it aged off
your server, it was gone.

Those were the days when the most popular external storage medium
was the 1.44 Mb floppy, and hard drives cost big bucks. As we all know,
storage now approaches free, and you buy it by the Terabyte. That changed
things.

In 1995, Dejanews started offering the first web-accessible, public archives.
I recall a certain amount of gnashing of teeth, since now people could
be confronted with things they'd said years before. How right they were!
It actually happened to me in a couple of job interviews.

In 2001, Google acquired the Dejanews archive. This was back in the
days when Google's slogan was 'Don't be evil', and for quite a long time
they were good stewards. But was time moved on, it wasn't kept up;
search was gradually enshittified, original headers and format
concealed, and gaps appeared in the archive.

More recently, complaints about spammers have been ignored, or
even worse, reportedly led to groups being dropped.

In the last month, rec.arts.sf.written, rec.arts.sf.fandom, and some
other groups have been made unusable via GG due to a spammer
who robo-posts Thai language spam at the rate of several new threads
a minute, completely burying any real content.

Google has done nothing, though its imminent shutdown of GG will
prevent it leaking to the rest of usenet.

Its the spammer, not the shut down, that drove me from GG to
eternal-september a few weeks ago rather than today.

GG has been very useful to me, since it could get through my
employer's firewall, unlike NNTP. Now I'm retired, and can use
NNTP again from home. I'll miss GG, even though I
easily concede that its interface has become terrible.

pt

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<ur5sjd$3d120$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96851&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96851

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: The End of Google Groups.
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 16:14:05 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:14 UTC

On 2/21/2024 3:47 PM, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> Starting tomorrow, Google will no longer support new Usenet content.
> This is probably the last post I will make through GG.
>
> What a long strange trip its been. I've been on Usenet since the early 80s.
> At that time, though certainly some people kept private archives, most
> regarded Usenet content as ephemeral as toilet paper - once it aged off
> your server, it was gone.
>
> Those were the days when the most popular external storage medium
> was the 1.44 Mb floppy, and hard drives cost big bucks. As we all know,
> storage now approaches free, and you buy it by the Terabyte. That changed
> things.
>
> In 1995, Dejanews started offering the first web-accessible, public archives.
> I recall a certain amount of gnashing of teeth, since now people could
> be confronted with things they'd said years before. How right they were!
> It actually happened to me in a couple of job interviews.
>
> In 2001, Google acquired the Dejanews archive. This was back in the
> days when Google's slogan was 'Don't be evil', and for quite a long time
> they were good stewards. But was time moved on, it wasn't kept up;
> search was gradually enshittified, original headers and format
> concealed, and gaps appeared in the archive.
>
> More recently, complaints about spammers have been ignored, or
> even worse, reportedly led to groups being dropped.
>
> In the last month, rec.arts.sf.written, rec.arts.sf.fandom, and some
> other groups have been made unusable via GG due to a spammer
> who robo-posts Thai language spam at the rate of several new threads
> a minute, completely burying any real content.
>
> Google has done nothing, though its imminent shutdown of GG will
> prevent it leaking to the rest of usenet.
>
> Its the spammer, not the shut down, that drove me from GG to
> eternal-september a few weeks ago rather than today.
>
> GG has been very useful to me, since it could get through my
> employer's firewall, unlike NNTP. Now I'm retired, and can use
> NNTP again from home. I'll miss GG, even though I
> easily concede that its interface has become terrible.
>
> pt

I came to usenet through Compuserve in 1996 ???

I assume that you are going to sign up for Eternal-September and use
Thunderbird as your news reader ?

Lynn

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<ur6cam$3ilc2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96863&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96863

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:42:30 -0500
 by: Tony Nance - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 02:42 UTC

On 2/21/24 5:14 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 2/21/2024 3:47 PM, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Starting tomorrow, Google will no longer support new Usenet content.
>> This is probably the last post I will make through GG.
>>
>> What a long strange trip its been. I've been on Usenet since the early
>> 80s.
>> At that time, though certainly some people kept private archives, most
>> regarded Usenet content as ephemeral as toilet paper - once it aged off
>> your server, it was gone.
>>
>> Those were the days when the most popular external storage medium
>> was the 1.44 Mb floppy, and hard drives cost big bucks. As we all know,
>> storage now approaches free, and you buy it by the Terabyte. That changed
>> things.
>>
>> In 1995, Dejanews started offering the first web-accessible, public
>> archives.
>> I recall a certain amount of gnashing of teeth, since now people could
>> be confronted with things they'd said years before. How right they were!
>> It actually happened to me in a couple of job interviews.
>>
>> In 2001, Google acquired the Dejanews archive. This was back in the
>> days when Google's slogan was 'Don't be evil', and for quite a long time
>> they were good stewards. But was time moved on, it wasn't kept up;
>> search was gradually enshittified, original headers and format
>> concealed, and gaps appeared in the archive.
>>
>> More recently, complaints about spammers have been ignored, or
>> even worse, reportedly led to groups being dropped.
>>
>> In the last month, rec.arts.sf.written, rec.arts.sf.fandom, and some
>> other groups have been made unusable via GG due to a spammer
>> who robo-posts Thai language spam at the rate of several new threads
>> a minute, completely burying any real content.
>>
>> Google has done nothing, though its imminent shutdown of GG will
>> prevent it leaking to the rest of usenet.
>>
>> Its the spammer, not the shut down, that drove me from GG to
>> eternal-september a few weeks ago rather than today.
>>
>> GG has been very useful to me, since it could get through my
>> employer's firewall, unlike NNTP. Now I'm retired, and can use
>> NNTP again from home. I'll miss GG, even though I
>> easily concede that its interface has become terrible.
>>
>> pt
>
> I came to usenet through Compuserve in 1996 ???
>
> I assume that you are going to sign up for Eternal-September and use
> Thunderbird as your news reader ?
>
> Lynn

I came to usenet because someone said there was a new spiffy SF show
coming out, and its creator/primary writer was on this thing called
usenet. (Babylon 5, JMS) Since the B5 pilot was aired in Feb 1993, this
must have been late 1992. The B5 groups made me aware of this wonderful
group, which is the only one I've paid attention to for many years now.

Tony

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<ur6cc9$3ilc2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96864&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96864

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:43:21 -0500
 by: Tony Nance - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 02:43 UTC

On 2/21/24 4:47 PM, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> Starting tomorrow, Google will no longer support new Usenet content.
> This is probably the last post I will make through GG.
>
> What a long strange trip its been. I've been on Usenet since the early 80s.
> At that time, though certainly some people kept private archives, most
> regarded Usenet content as ephemeral as toilet paper - once it aged off
> your server, it was gone.
>
> Those were the days when the most popular external storage medium
> was the 1.44 Mb floppy, and hard drives cost big bucks. As we all know,
> storage now approaches free, and you buy it by the Terabyte. That changed
> things.
>
> In 1995, Dejanews started offering the first web-accessible, public archives.
> I recall a certain amount of gnashing of teeth, since now people could
> be confronted with things they'd said years before. How right they were!
> It actually happened to me in a couple of job interviews.
>
> In 2001, Google acquired the Dejanews archive. This was back in the
> days when Google's slogan was 'Don't be evil', and for quite a long time
> they were good stewards. But was time moved on, it wasn't kept up;
> search was gradually enshittified, original headers and format
> concealed, and gaps appeared in the archive.
>
> More recently, complaints about spammers have been ignored, or
> even worse, reportedly led to groups being dropped.
>
> In the last month, rec.arts.sf.written, rec.arts.sf.fandom, and some
> other groups have been made unusable via GG due to a spammer
> who robo-posts Thai language spam at the rate of several new threads
> a minute, completely burying any real content.
>
> Google has done nothing, though its imminent shutdown of GG will
> prevent it leaking to the rest of usenet.
>
> Its the spammer, not the shut down, that drove me from GG to
> eternal-september a few weeks ago rather than today.
>
> GG has been very useful to me, since it could get through my
> employer's firewall, unlike NNTP. Now I'm retired, and can use
> NNTP again from home. I'll miss GG, even though I
> easily concede that its interface has become terrible.

Thanks for this history sketch, and congrats on the retirement!
- Tony

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<ur6dfc$3k636$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96866&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96866

From: petertrei@gmail.com (Cryptoengineer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:02:03 -0500
 by: Cryptoengineer - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 03:02 UTC

On 2/21/2024 9:42 PM, Tony Nance wrote:
> On 2/21/24 5:14 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 2/21/2024 3:47 PM, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Starting tomorrow, Google will no longer support new Usenet content.
>>> This is probably the last post I will make through GG.
>>>
>>> What a long strange trip its been. I've been on Usenet since the
>>> early 80s.
>>> At that time, though certainly some people kept private archives, most
>>> regarded Usenet content as ephemeral as toilet paper - once it aged off
>>> your server, it was gone.
>>>
>>> Those were the days when the most popular external storage medium
>>> was the 1.44 Mb floppy, and hard drives cost big bucks. As we all know,
>>> storage now approaches free, and you buy it by the Terabyte. That
>>> changed
>>> things.
>>>
>>> In 1995, Dejanews started offering the first web-accessible, public
>>> archives.
>>> I recall a certain amount of gnashing of teeth, since now people could
>>> be confronted with things they'd said years before. How right they were!
>>> It actually happened to me in a couple of job interviews.
>>>
>>> In 2001, Google acquired the Dejanews archive. This was back in the
>>> days when Google's slogan was 'Don't be evil', and for quite a long time
>>> they were good stewards. But was time moved on, it wasn't kept up;
>>> search was gradually enshittified, original headers and format
>>> concealed, and gaps appeared in the archive.
>>>
>>> More recently, complaints about spammers have been ignored, or
>>> even worse, reportedly led to groups being dropped.
>>>
>>> In the last month, rec.arts.sf.written, rec.arts.sf.fandom, and some
>>> other groups have been made unusable via GG due to a spammer
>>> who robo-posts Thai language spam at the rate of several new threads
>>> a minute, completely burying any real content.
>>>
>>> Google has done nothing, though its imminent shutdown of GG will
>>> prevent it leaking to the rest of usenet.
>>>
>>> Its the spammer, not the shut down, that drove me from GG to
>>> eternal-september a few weeks ago rather than today.
>>>
>>> GG has been very useful to me, since it could get through my
>>> employer's firewall, unlike NNTP. Now I'm retired, and can use
>>> NNTP again from home. I'll miss GG, even though I
>>> easily concede that its interface has become terrible.
>>>
>>> pt
>>
>> I came to usenet through Compuserve in 1996 ???
>>
>> I assume that you are going to sign up for Eternal-September and use
>> Thunderbird as your news reader ?
>>
>> Lynn
>>

> I came to usenet because someone said there was a new spiffy SF show
> coming out, and its creator/primary writer was on this thing called
> usenet. (Babylon 5, JMS) Since the B5 pilot was aired in Feb 1993, this
> must have been late 1992. The B5 groups made me aware of this wonderful
> group, which is the only one I've paid attention to for many years now.
>
> Tony

I first got on the net in late 1978. I suspect I'm the fan with the
second longest continuous internet presence, preceded only by Keith
Lynch, who's still active over on r.a.sf.fandom.

Back then, the action was the SF-LOVERS mailing list, and later the
SF-LOVERS Digest, when the volume became too great for individual
messages.

This was long before any non-DOD funded activity was legal on
ARPANet, and SFL was sub-rosa for several years. It later got
permitted as an experiment in high volume mailing lists (this
was long before the web existed).

Usenet appeared after the TCP/IP internet was gatewayed with
Bitnet in the early 80s, and still remains active.

pt

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<l3numaF8510U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96869&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96869

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 22 Feb 2024 03:51:39 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 03:51 UTC

In article <ur6dfc$3k636$1@dont-email.me>,
Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2/21/2024 9:42 PM, Tony Nance wrote:

>>> I came to usenet through Compuserve in 1996 ???
>>>
>>> I assume that you are going to sign up for Eternal-September and use
>>> Thunderbird as your news reader ?
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>>

>> I came to usenet because someone said there was a new spiffy SF show
>> coming out, and its creator/primary writer was on this thing called
>> usenet. (Babylon 5, JMS) Since the B5 pilot was aired in Feb 1993, this
>> must have been late 1992. The B5 groups made me aware of this wonderful
>> group, which is the only one I've paid attention to for many years now.
>>
>> Tony
>
>I first got on the net in late 1978. I suspect I'm the fan with the
>second longest continuous internet presence, preceded only by Keith
>Lynch, who's still active over on r.a.sf.fandom.
>
>Back then, the action was the SF-LOVERS mailing list, and later the
>SF-LOVERS Digest, when the volume became too great for individual
>messages.
>
>This was long before any non-DOD funded activity was legal on
>ARPANet, and SFL was sub-rosa for several years. It later got
>permitted as an experiment in high volume mailing lists (this
>was long before the web existed).
>
>Usenet appeared after the TCP/IP internet was gatewayed with
>Bitnet in the early 80s, and still remains active.
>
>pt

That's not quite accurate. USENET was originally transported over dial-up
modem links using a transfer program called "uucp" (Unix to Unix Copy Program).
TCP & NNTP came much later. I put usceast on Usenet sometime around 1981
I guess, and have been here since.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<ur8mgk$ga8$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96924&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96924

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 22 Feb 2024 23:48:36 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 23:48 UTC

Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:

>That's not quite accurate. USENET was originally transported over dial-up
>modem links using a transfer program called "uucp" (Unix to Unix Copy Program).
>TCP & NNTP came much later. I put usceast on Usenet sometime around 1981
>I guess, and have been here since.

Yes. I still had uucp clients as late as the mid-2000s.
--scott
{well-connected-site}!inhp4!akgua!gatech!gitpyr!notavax!kludge

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<ur94e8$bb0c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96935&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96935

From: petertrei@gmail.com (Cryptoengineer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 22:46:16 -0500
 by: Cryptoengineer - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 03:46 UTC

On 2/22/2024 6:48 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>>
>> That's not quite accurate. USENET was originally transported over dial-up
>> modem links using a transfer program called "uucp" (Unix to Unix Copy Program).
>> TCP & NNTP came much later. I put usceast on Usenet sometime around 1981
>> I guess, and have been here since.
>
> Yes. I still had uucp clients as late as the mid-2000s.
> --scott
> {well-connected-site}!inhp4!akgua!gatech!gitpyr!notavax!kludge

Bangpaths! Those bring back memories...

pt

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<m4llak-9gd.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96936&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96936

From: grschmidt@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:56:21 +1100
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 04:56 UTC

On 23/02/2024 10:48, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>>
>> That's not quite accurate. USENET was originally transported over dial-up
>> modem links using a transfer program called "uucp" (Unix to Unix Copy Program).
>> TCP & NNTP came much later. I put usceast on Usenet sometime around 1981
>> I guess, and have been here since.
>
> Yes. I still had uucp clients as late as the mid-2000s.
> --scott
> {well-connected-site}!inhp4!akgua!gatech!gitpyr!notavax!kludge

Oh, you were out in the sticks, ...!munnari!grs. :-)

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<l3qqeeFnrifU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96939&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96939

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 23 Feb 2024 05:57:34 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 05:57 UTC

In article <m4llak-9gd.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>,
Gary R. Schmidt <grschmidt@acm.org> wrote:
>On 23/02/2024 10:48, Scott Dorsey wrote:
>> Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's not quite accurate. USENET was originally transported over dial-up
>>> modem links using a transfer program called "uucp" (Unix to Unix Copy
>Program).
>>> TCP & NNTP came much later. I put usceast on Usenet sometime around 1981
>>> I guess, and have been here since.
>>
>> Yes. I still had uucp clients as late as the mid-2000s.
>> --scott
>> {well-connected-site}!inhp4!akgua!gatech!gitpyr!notavax!kludge
>>
>Oh, you were out in the sticks, ...!munnari!grs. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Gary B-)

inhp4 was definitely on our path

Also, if we had incoming mail, you could use a bangpath that was shorter
because one of the sites could make long distance calls directly to
our modem, but for outgoing mail we had to use a long path because we
couldn't make outgoing long distance modem calls. Something like that
anyway..
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<slrnuthe8f.23sv.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96948&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96948

From: naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:26:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:26 UTC

On 2024-02-22, Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

>>That's not quite accurate. USENET was originally transported over dial-up
>>modem links using a transfer program called "uucp" (Unix to Unix Copy Program).
>>TCP & NNTP came much later. I put usceast on Usenet sometime around 1981
>>I guess, and have been here since.
>
> Yes. I still had uucp clients as late as the mid-2000s.

If you're reading this, then it crossed a UUCP link on the way to you.
(Over TLS over TCP, nonetheless.)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<urbqtj$10vnm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96963&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96963

From: quadibloc@servername.invalid (Quadibloc)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 04:22:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Quadibloc - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 04:22 UTC

On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:47:06 -0800, pete...@gmail.com wrote:

> GG has been very useful to me, since it could get through my
> employer's firewall, unlike NNTP. Now I'm retired, and can use
> NNTP again from home. I'll miss GG, even though I
> easily concede that its interface has become terrible.

Incidentally, for those who would like a web-based interface
to USENET newsgroups, there's "Rock Solid Light" at

https://www.novabbs.com/

It only provides access to a limited number of text newsgroups,
divided into categories.

John Savard

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<0001HW.2B89B0F600666F7870000F68338F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96965&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96965

From: dalton@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 01:37:02 -0330
 by: David Dalton - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 05:07 UTC

On Feb 24, 2024, Quadibloc wrote
(in article <urbqtj$10vnm$1@dont-email.me>):

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:47:06 -0800, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > GG has been very useful to me, since it could get through my
> > employer's firewall, unlike NNTP. Now I'm retired, and can use
> > NNTP again from home. I'll miss GG, even though I
> > easily concede that its interface has become terrible.
>
> Incidentally, for those who would like a web-based interface
> to USENET newsgroups, there's "Rock Solid Light" at
>
> https://www.novabbs.com/
>
> It only provides access to a limited number of text newsgroups,
> divided into categories.
>
> John Savard

Eternal September newsadmin Ray Banana is working on
an RSL interface to the Eternal September newsserver
and will hopefully announce it on eternal-september.support
soon, and that would provide access to more newsgroups
than NovaBBS.

--
David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill;

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<xn0oigfwh8yscl3000@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96970&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96970

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 12:52:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 12:52 UTC

Quadibloc wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:47:06 -0800, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > GG has been very useful to me, since it could get through my
> > employer's firewall, unlike NNTP. Now I'm retired, and can use
> > NNTP again from home. I'll miss GG, even though I
> > easily concede that its interface has become terrible.
>
> Incidentally, for those who would like a web-based interface
> to USENET newsgroups, there's "Rock Solid Light" at
>
> https://www.novabbs.com/

Now that GG has de-peered from Usenet I expect to see more people in
the community work on web based Usenet interfaces... there wasn't
much need while Google Groups was around but now I think we'll see a
few alternative options for those that prefer a website interface to
a newsreader for Usenet access.

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<xn0oigfz68yw81x001@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96971&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96971

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 12:55:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 12:55 UTC

David Dalton wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2024, Quadibloc wrote:
>
> Eternal September newsadmin Ray Banana is working on
> an RSL interface to the Eternal September newsserver
> and will hopefully announce it on eternal-september.support
> soon, and that would provide access to more newsgroups
> than NovaBBS.

Web based Usenet access will evolve now I think.

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<5c57abca-3704-8ac3-3e8b-f2078a7717a2@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96972&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96972

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 15:00:48 +0100
 by: D - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 14:00 UTC

On Sat, 24 Feb 2024, Blueshirt wrote:

> David Dalton wrote:
>
>> On Feb 24, 2024, Quadibloc wrote:
>>
>> Eternal September newsadmin Ray Banana is working on
>> an RSL interface to the Eternal September newsserver
>> and will hopefully announce it on eternal-september.support
>> soon, and that would provide access to more newsgroups
>> than NovaBBS.
>
> Web based Usenet access will evolve now I think.

And with web based usenet, so will spam.

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<urd4p7$lmv$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96974&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96974

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 24 Feb 2024 16:16:39 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 16:16 UTC

D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>On Sat, 24 Feb 2024, Blueshirt wrote:
>>
>> Web based Usenet access will evolve now I think.
>
>And with web based usenet, so will spam.

Yes, but most admins don't have a problem dealing with spammers because they
are not trying to operate everything completely hands-off the way Google was.
And now, thanks to Google's uncontrolled spam problem, most sites have very
effective filtering systems in place. So I think we will see an increase in
spam attempts but I predict it will be dealt with effectively.
--scott

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<xn0oigm9m97fc0o006@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96975&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96975

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 16:53:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 16:53 UTC

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
> > On Sat, 24 Feb 2024, Blueshirt wrote:
> > >
> >> Web based Usenet access will evolve now I think.
> >
> > And with web based usenet, so will spam.
>
> Yes, but most admins don't have a problem dealing with spammers
> because they are not trying to operate everything completely
> hands-off the way Google was. And now, thanks to Google's
> uncontrolled spam problem, most sites have very effective
> filtering systems in place. So I think we will see an increase in
> spam attempts but I predict it will be dealt with effectively.

Yes. The war with spam isn't going to end just because Google Groups
are no longer a gateway to Usenet. There will always be people who
get their jollies from trying to spam Usenet, from whatever source.

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<urdb16$erq$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96976&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96976

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 24 Feb 2024 18:03:18 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:03 UTC

Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>Yes. The war with spam isn't going to end just because Google Groups
>are no longer a gateway to Usenet. There will always be people who
>get their jollies from trying to spam Usenet, from whatever source.

But there won't be any people trying to spam Usenet in order to poison
search engines. And there won't be any people trying to send tens of
millions of spam messages a day.
--scott

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<urdbkf$1anoh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96977&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96977

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:13:36 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:13 UTC

On 2/24/2024 10:03 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>> Yes. The war with spam isn't going to end just because Google Groups
>> are no longer a gateway to Usenet. There will always be people who
>> get their jollies from trying to spam Usenet, from whatever source.
>
> But there won't be any people trying to spam Usenet in order to poison
> search engines. And there won't be any people trying to send tens of
> millions of spam messages a day.

ROFLMAO. If anything because it will be web based there will be even
more attempts to "poison" search engines because that is a normal part
of a web environment. And it won't be individual cranks, it will be
companies.

dirty old man.

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<4e4829ab-dcd7-b4d5-0d86-3326b8c39b47@example.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96978&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96978

From: nospam@example.net (D)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 21:03:10 +0100
 by: D - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 20:03 UTC

On Sat, 24 Feb 2024, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> D <nospam@example.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2024, Blueshirt wrote:
>>>
>>> Web based Usenet access will evolve now I think.
>>
>> And with web based usenet, so will spam.
>
> Yes, but most admins don't have a problem dealing with spammers because they
> are not trying to operate everything completely hands-off the way Google was.
> And now, thanks to Google's uncontrolled spam problem, most sites have very
> effective filtering systems in place. So I think we will see an increase in
> spam attempts but I predict it will be dealt with effectively.
> --scott

That is a good point!

Re: The End of Google Groups.

<urhqob$2g8jm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97002&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97002

From: rja.carnegie@gmail.com (Robert Carnegie)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:56:11 +0000
 by: Robert Carnegie - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:56 UTC

On 24/02/2024 04:22, Quadibloc wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 13:47:06 -0800, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> GG has been very useful to me, since it could get through my
>> employer's firewall, unlike NNTP. Now I'm retired, and can use
>> NNTP again from home. I'll miss GG, even though I
>> easily concede that its interface has become terrible.
>
> Incidentally, for those who would like a web-based interface
> to USENET newsgroups, there's "Rock Solid Light" at
>
> https://www.novabbs.com/
>
> It only provides access to a limited number of text newsgroups,
> divided into categories.
>
> John Savard

I must remember not to tell someone who
was asking for this.