You work very hard. Don't try to think as well.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Nebula Finalists 1972

SubjectAuthor
* Nebula Finalists 1972James Nicoll
+* Re: Nebula Finalists 1972Chris Buckley
|`- Re: Nebula Finalists 1972James Nicoll
+* Re: Nebula Finalists 1972William Hyde
|`- Re: Nebula Finalists 1972ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
`- Re: Nebula Finalists 1972Lynn McGuire

1
Nebula Finalists 1972

<uri81a$pig$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97005&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97005

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Nebula Finalists 1972
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 14:42:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 14:42 UTC

Another week, another round of which Nebula finalists have you read?
This week, for 1972.

Check marks don't work here so I will list all of the finalists, then
the subset I have read. Kate Wilhelm was on fire this year, thus she's
present in every category save one.

1972 Nebula Finalist Novels

A Time of Changes by Robert Silverberg
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin
The Devil Is Dead by R. A. Lafferty
Margaret and I by Kate Wilhelm
The Byworlder by Poul Anderson
Half Past Human by T. J. Bass

1972 Nebula Finalist Novellas

The Missing Man by Katherine MacLean
The Infinity Box by Kate Wilhelm
Being There by Jerzy Kosinski
The God House by Keith Roberts
The Plastic Abyss by Kate Wilhelm

1972 Nebula Finalist Novelettes

The Queen of Air and Darkness by Poul Anderson
Mount Charity by Edgar Pangborn
Poor Man, Beggar Man by Joanna Russ
A Special Kind of Morning by Gardner Dozois
The Encounter by Kate Wilhelm

1972 Nebula Finalist Short Stories

Good News from the Vatican by Robert Silverberg
The Last Ghost by Stephen Goldin
Horse of Air by Gardner Dozois
Heathen God by George Zebrowski

Of which I have read

1972 Nebula Finalist Novels

A Time of Changes by Robert Silverberg
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin
Margaret and I by Kate Wilhelm
The Byworlder by Poul Anderson
Half Past Human by T. J. Bass

1972 Nebula Finalist Novellas

The Missing Man by Katherine MacLean
The Infinity Box by Kate Wilhelm
The God House by Keith Roberts

1972 Nebula Finalist Novelettes

The Queen of Air and Darkness by Poul Anderson
A Special Kind of Morning by Gardner Dozois
The Encounter by Kate Wilhelm

1972 Nebula Finalist Short Stories

Good News from the Vatican by Robert Silverberg
The Last Ghost by Stephen Goldin
Horse of Air by Gardner Dozois

Re: Nebula Finalists 1972

<l444s8F7i44U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97011&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97011

From: alan@sabir.com (Chris Buckley)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Nebula Finalists 1972
Date: 26 Feb 2024 18:50:48 GMT
 by: Chris Buckley - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:50 UTC

On 2024-02-26, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
> Another week, another round of which Nebula finalists have you read?
> This week, for 1972....
>
> 1972 Nebula Finalist Novels
> A Time of Changes by Robert Silverberg
> The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin
> The Devil Is Dead by R. A. Lafferty
> Margaret and I by Kate Wilhelm
> The Byworlder by Poul Anderson
> Half Past Human by T. J. Bass

Read all. A poor year for novels, IMO. Among the 9 novels in Hugo and
Nebula nominations, only _Jack of Shadows_ is on my Favorites' bookcase
(one of two Zelazny's that I regard as minor but maintained enjoyment
through multiple re-readings.)

(_Dragonquest_ is on my bookcase as part of an omnibus, but I don't
regard it as a Favorite in itself.)

> 1972 Nebula Finalist Novellas
>
> The Missing Man by Katherine MacLean
> The Infinity Box by Kate Wilhelm
> Being There by Jerzy Kosinski
> The God House by Keith Roberts
> The Plastic Abyss by Kate Wilhelm

Read all but the Kosinski (never heard of it!) and _The Plastic Abyss_.

> 1972 Nebula Finalist Novelettes
> The Queen of Air and Darkness by Poul Anderson
> Mount Charity by Edgar Pangborn
> Poor Man, Beggar Man by Joanna Russ
> A Special Kind of Morning by Gardner Dozois
> The Encounter by Kate Wilhelm
>
> 1972 Nebula Finalist Short Stories
> Good News from the Vatican by Robert Silverberg
> The Last Ghost by Stephen Goldin
> Horse of Air by Gardner Dozois
> Heathen God by George Zebrowski

Read all. _Nebula Award Stories Seven_ is a much larger anthology
than the older Nebula anthologies that I have and includes (with
biographies) all the Novelettes, Short Stories, the winning Novella,
several other non-finalist nominated stories, and several essays.

I hadn't realized before reading the Knight essay what an
upheaval 1971 was in science fiction publishing. John W. Campbell
died (at age 61(What?!!!)) and Carr and Wollheim left Ace, ending
Carr's Ace Science Fiction Special series (very good) and with Wollheim
forming DAW.

Chris

Re: Nebula Finalists 1972

<urj008$i55$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97016&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97016

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 21:31:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 21:31 UTC

In article <l444s8F7i44U1@mid.individual.net>,
Chris Buckley <alan@sabir.com> wrote:
>On 2024-02-26, James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:
>> Another week, another round of which Nebula finalists have you read?
>> This week, for 1972....
>>
>> 1972 Nebula Finalist Novels
>> A Time of Changes by Robert Silverberg
>> The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin
>> The Devil Is Dead by R. A. Lafferty
>> Margaret and I by Kate Wilhelm
>> The Byworlder by Poul Anderson
>> Half Past Human by T. J. Bass
>
>Read all. A poor year for novels, IMO. Among the 9 novels in Hugo and
>Nebula nominations, only _Jack of Shadows_ is on my Favorites' bookcase
>(one of two Zelazny's that I regard as minor but maintained enjoyment
>through multiple re-readings.)
>
>(_Dragonquest_ is on my bookcase as part of an omnibus, but I don't
>regard it as a Favorite in itself.)
>
>> 1972 Nebula Finalist Novellas
>>
>> The Missing Man by Katherine MacLean
>> The Infinity Box by Kate Wilhelm
>> Being There by Jerzy Kosinski
>> The God House by Keith Roberts
>> The Plastic Abyss by Kate Wilhelm
>
>Read all but the Kosinski (never heard of it!) and _The Plastic Abyss_.

I recommend the film based on Being There. It would have been a great
film for Peter Sellers to go out on. Alas, he made one more film,
the dire The Fiendish Plot of Dr. Fu Manchu.

>> 1972 Nebula Finalist Novelettes
>> The Queen of Air and Darkness by Poul Anderson
>> Mount Charity by Edgar Pangborn
>> Poor Man, Beggar Man by Joanna Russ
>> A Special Kind of Morning by Gardner Dozois
>> The Encounter by Kate Wilhelm
>>
>> 1972 Nebula Finalist Short Stories
>> Good News from the Vatican by Robert Silverberg
>> The Last Ghost by Stephen Goldin
>> Horse of Air by Gardner Dozois
>> Heathen God by George Zebrowski
>
>Read all. _Nebula Award Stories Seven_ is a much larger anthology
>than the older Nebula anthologies that I have and includes (with
>biographies) all the Novelettes, Short Stories, the winning Novella,
>several other non-finalist nominated stories, and several essays.

I really need to read those anthologies....

>I hadn't realized before reading the Knight essay what an
>upheaval 1971 was in science fiction publishing. John W. Campbell
>died (at age 61(What?!!!)) and Carr and Wollheim left Ace, ending
>Carr's Ace Science Fiction Special series (very good) and with Wollheim
>forming DAW.
>
>Chris

Re: Nebula Finalists 1972

<urj3so$2pir1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97017&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97017

From: wthyde1953@gmail.com (William Hyde)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:38:15 -0500
 by: William Hyde - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:38 UTC

James Nicoll wrote:
> Another week, another round of which Nebula finalists have you read?
> This week, for 1972.

As predicted, we've reached the time when I haven't read everything.
It doesn't seem to be as strong a year as 70 and 71 were, though.

> Check marks don't work here so I will list all of the finalists, then
> the subset I have read. Kate Wilhelm was on fire this year, thus she's
> present in every category save one.
>
> 1972 Nebula Finalist Novels
>
> A Time of Changes by Robert Silverberg
> The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin
> The Devil Is Dead by R. A. Lafferty
> Margaret and I by Kate Wilhelm
> The Byworlder by Poul Anderson
> Half Past Human by T. J. Bass

Hanging my head in shame, I have to admit that despite being a Lafferty
fan, I haven't read TDID.

The Silverberg gains interest in the context of his other novels. Most
of his lead characters did not have large egos, but in this society the
protagonist is barred from saying "I". I reread it once, I believe.

The LeGuin is fine, though one of her lesser novels.

I was not the target audience for "Margaret and I". But I found it
compelling, nonetheless.

I found the Anderson to be about average for his work, which is pretty good.

While I know that many others differ, I didn't greatly like "Half Past
Human". Still, it was pretty good for a first novel, and I regret that
he didn't write much else in the field.

> 1972 Nebula Finalist Novellas
>
> The Missing Man by Katherine MacLean
> The Infinity Box by Kate Wilhelm
> Being There by Jerzy Kosinski
> The God House by Keith Roberts
> The Plastic Abyss by Kate Wilhelm

Here I did even worse. I can only recall "The Infinity Box" and "Being
there". Both excellent.

> 1972 Nebula Finalist Novelettes
>
> The Queen of Air and Darkness by Poul Anderson
> Mount Charity by Edgar Pangborn
> Poor Man, Beggar Man by Joanna Russ
> A Special Kind of Morning by Gardner Dozois
> The Encounter by Kate Wilhelm

I don't think I read the Dozois, and have no recollection of the Russ,
though at the time I read anything of hers that I found.

> 1972 Nebula Finalist Short Stories
>
> Good News from the Vatican by Robert Silverberg
> The Last Ghost by Stephen Goldin
> Horse of Air by Gardner Dozois
> Heathen God by George Zebrowski

I never was clear as to why the Silverberg was rated so highly. Maybe
I missed something, or everything. I don't recall the rest.

William Hyde

Re: Nebula Finalists 1972

<l44jdbFa3raU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97020&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97020

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 26 Feb 2024 22:58:51 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 22:58 UTC

In article <urj3so$2pir1$1@dont-email.me>,
William Hyde <wthyde1953@gmail.com> wrote:
>James Nicoll wrote:
>> Another week, another round of which Nebula finalists have you read?
>> This week, for 1972.
>
>As predicted, we've reached the time when I haven't read everything.
>It doesn't seem to be as strong a year as 70 and 71 were, though.
>>
>> Check marks don't work here so I will list all of the finalists, then
>> the subset I have read. Kate Wilhelm was on fire this year, thus she's
>> present in every category save one.
>>
>> 1972 Nebula Finalist Novels
>>
>> A Time of Changes by Robert Silverberg
>> The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin
>> The Devil Is Dead by R. A. Lafferty
>> Margaret and I by Kate Wilhelm
>> The Byworlder by Poul Anderson
>> Half Past Human by T. J. Bass
>
>Hanging my head in shame, I have to admit that despite being a Lafferty
>fan, I haven't read TDID.

I remember liking it less than _Fourth Mansions_, but couldn't tell you
anything else about it at this point.

>> 1972 Nebula Finalist Short Stories
>>
>> Good News from the Vatican by Robert Silverberg
>> The Last Ghost by Stephen Goldin
>> Horse of Air by Gardner Dozois
>> Heathen God by George Zebrowski
>
>I never was clear as to why the Silverberg was rated so highly. Maybe
>I missed something, or everything. I don't recall the rest.

Similar reaction to the Silverberg: It just seemed like a one-joke story.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Nebula Finalists 1972

<urj575$2pihi$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97021&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97021

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:00:53 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 23:00 UTC

Zero.

Lynn