From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Among Others" by Jo Walton
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 17:16:08 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 28 Feb 2024 23:16 UTC

"Among Others" by Jo Walton
https://www.amazon.com/Among-Others-Jo-Walton/dp/1250237769/

Winner of the 2011 Nebula Award for Best Novel.
Winner of the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Novel.

Standalone fantasy book about a fifteen year old girl survivor of a
tremendous tragedy coming to age in 1979-1980 in Wales. I reread the
well printed and well bound trade paperback published by Tor Books in
2011 that I bought in 2012. Note that this book is somewhat
autobiographical for the author. It is up to the reader to decide how
much is autobiographical and how much is fantasy.

The book is written in a diary format. Note that this book is a serious
intermixing of fantasy and real life. In fact, I get confused as to
what was fantasy and what was real life for the girl. The girl's mother
is a half-mad Welsh witch who separated from her husband at the twin's
birth. The girl's twin sister has been dead for a year at the beginning
of the book and she is still mourning her loss deeply. She meets her
father for the first time at the beginning of the book and he sends her
to boarding school. And the girl still uses magic to make things happen
in her life. And she sees and talks regularly with fairies.

There are more science fiction and fantasy books reviewed in this book
that any other review that I have ever read. And, I agree with most of
the reviews in the book (I still have yet to read Triton).

My rating: 5 out of 5 stars (I am thinking about elevating this book to
my six star list)
Amazon rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars (2,044 reviews)

Lynn