Harrison's Postulate: For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

SubjectAuthor
* Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"Robert Woodward
+- Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
+- Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"Cryptoengineer
+* Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"Robert Carnegie
|`- Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"Paul S Person
`* Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"Tony Nance
 `* Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"Robert Woodward
  +* Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"Robert Carnegie
  |`* Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"Dimensional Traveler
  | `* Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"Tony Nance
  |  `* Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"WolfFan
  |   +- Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
  |   `- Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"Dimensional Traveler
  `- Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"Michael F. Stemper

1
Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<robertaw-3E38EE.22000428022024@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97052&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97052

From: robertaw@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 22:00:04 -0800
 by: Robert Woodward - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 06:00 UTC

I believe that he wrote this because he was concerned about lazy authors
writing very bad heroic fantasy (employing ignorant world building).
According to the ISFDB, this first appeared in _Swords Against Darkness
III_, published in 1978 (the only one of that 5 title anthology series
that I don't have), and the collection _Fantasy_ published by Tor in
1981. I reread it recently and I think most of his arguments are still
appropriate (there has been more examples recently of backgrounds for
historical fantasy that weren't medieval Europe).

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<l4bfnbFbi8vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97054&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97054

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"
Date: 29 Feb 2024 13:38:51 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:38 UTC

In article <robertaw-3E38EE.22000428022024@news.individual.net>,
Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:
>I believe that he wrote this because he was concerned about lazy authors
>writing very bad heroic fantasy (employing ignorant world building).
>According to the ISFDB, this first appeared in _Swords Against Darkness
>III_, published in 1978 (the only one of that 5 title anthology series
>that I don't have), and the collection _Fantasy_ published by Tor in
>1981. I reread it recently and I think most of his arguments are still
>appropriate (there has been more examples recently of backgrounds for
>historical fantasy that weren't medieval Europe).
>
>--
>"We have advanced to new and surprising levels of bafflement."
>Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan describes progress in _Komarr_.
>�-----------------------------------------------------
>Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

I'm not sure it was just "lazy" authors.

As I recall, one reason Howard turned to the Conan setting is that
he was trying to sell historical adventures to "Oriental Stories"
and kept getting dinged on the historical details, didn't have the
time or resourses to research everything, and decided "screw this"
and made his own world, perhaps not 100% consistent but having
whatever setting he needed. But he was hardly lazy, just needed
to be faster to make a living.

Something similar with Lieber I think. Lovecraft dinged him on the
Fafhrd & Mouser story set on Earth, and he decided the same: Well,
this is how stuff works on Newhon!
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<urqo8o$phc7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97056&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97056

From: petertrei@gmail.com (Cryptoengineer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:08:56 -0500
 by: Cryptoengineer - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:08 UTC

On 2/29/2024 1:00 AM, Robert Woodward wrote:
> I believe that he wrote this because he was concerned about lazy authors
> writing very bad heroic fantasy (employing ignorant world building).
> According to the ISFDB, this first appeared in _Swords Against Darkness
> III_, published in 1978 (the only one of that 5 title anthology series
> that I don't have), and the collection _Fantasy_ published by Tor in
> 1981. I reread it recently and I think most of his arguments are still
> appropriate (there has been more examples recently of backgrounds for
> historical fantasy that weren't medieval Europe).

You may want to look at Diane Wynn Jones' "The Tough Guide to Fairyland"
which also covers this territory. Latest edition is 2006.

pt

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<urqqof$q2tu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97059&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97059

From: rja.carnegie@gmail.com (Robert Carnegie)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:51:22 +0000
 by: Robert Carnegie - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:51 UTC

On 29/02/2024 06:00, Robert Woodward wrote:
> I believe that he wrote this because he was concerned about lazy authors
> writing very bad heroic fantasy (employing ignorant world building).
> According to the ISFDB, this first appeared in _Swords Against Darkness
> III_, published in 1978 (the only one of that 5 title anthology series
> that I don't have), and the collection _Fantasy_ published by Tor in
> 1981. I reread it recently and I think most of his arguments are still
> appropriate (there has been more examples recently of backgrounds for
> historical fantasy that weren't medieval Europe).

And here it is.
<https://www.sfwa.org/2005/01/04/on-thud-and-blunder/>

I've been told on Quora that one statement
is nonsense - the claim that a stallion,
a sexually mature male horse, "is not safe
to have around a menstruating woman".
If I say I don't have the resources to
investigate, that sounds wrong, but I don't.
But a lady tells me that it wasn't a problem.

I suppose it could be a real-world myth
amongst some or all horse handlers.
If Poul Anderson has just accurately said
that "A stallion is notoriously hard to
control", then people will usually take
steps to, er, not have a stallion.
(An imaginary horse and many readers
nervously cross their legs.) So then
it rarely arises. So to speak.

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<et04uihsoej8ciliesdrjkvqbmv4qvm3up@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97067&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97067

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 08:35:27 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 16:35 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:51:22 +0000, Robert Carnegie
<rja.carnegie@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 29/02/2024 06:00, Robert Woodward wrote:
>> I believe that he wrote this because he was concerned about lazy authors
>> writing very bad heroic fantasy (employing ignorant world building).
>> According to the ISFDB, this first appeared in _Swords Against Darkness
>> III_, published in 1978 (the only one of that 5 title anthology series
>> that I don't have), and the collection _Fantasy_ published by Tor in
>> 1981. I reread it recently and I think most of his arguments are still
>> appropriate (there has been more examples recently of backgrounds for
>> historical fantasy that weren't medieval Europe).
>
>And here it is.
><https://www.sfwa.org/2005/01/04/on-thud-and-blunder/>
>
>I've been told on Quora that one statement
>is nonsense - the claim that a stallion,
>a sexually mature male horse, "is not safe
>to have around a menstruating woman".
>If I say I don't have the resources to
>investigate, that sounds wrong, but I don't.
>But a lady tells me that it wasn't a problem.
>
>I suppose it could be a real-world myth
>amongst some or all horse handlers.
>If Poul Anderson has just accurately said
>that "A stallion is notoriously hard to
>control", then people will usually take
>steps to, er, not have a stallion.
>(An imaginary horse and many readers
>nervously cross their legs.) So then
>it rarely arises. So to speak.

Anything to keep the women barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen.

Not my goal, BTW. Or yours, I am sure.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<urtlbv$1fan1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97076&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97076

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 17:37:51 -0500
 by: Tony Nance - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 22:37 UTC

On 2/29/24 1:00 AM, Robert Woodward wrote:
> I believe that he wrote this because he was concerned about lazy authors
> writing very bad heroic fantasy (employing ignorant world building).
> According to the ISFDB, this first appeared in _Swords Against Darkness
> III_, published in 1978 (the only one of that 5 title anthology series
> that I don't have), and the collection _Fantasy_ published by Tor in
> 1981. I reread it recently and I think most of his arguments are still
> appropriate (there has been more examples recently of backgrounds for
> historical fantasy that weren't medieval Europe).

I just re-read this[1], and I agree with you. I also really enjoy the
introductory example of what he's writing about, including the character
names Gnorts, Nialliv, Elamef, and Rehcel.

Tony
[1] I have the "Fantasy" volume you mention.

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<robertaw-BE6C51.21544401032024@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97082&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97082

From: robertaw@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 21:54:44 -0800
 by: Robert Woodward - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 05:54 UTC

In article <urtlbv$1fan1$1@dont-email.me>,
Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/29/24 1:00 AM, Robert Woodward wrote:
> > I believe that he wrote this because he was concerned about lazy authors
> > writing very bad heroic fantasy (employing ignorant world building).
> > According to the ISFDB, this first appeared in _Swords Against Darkness
> > III_, published in 1978 (the only one of that 5 title anthology series
> > that I don't have), and the collection _Fantasy_ published by Tor in
> > 1981. I reread it recently and I think most of his arguments are still
> > appropriate (there has been more examples recently of backgrounds for
> > historical fantasy that weren't medieval Europe).
> >

> I just re-read this[1], and I agree with you. I also really enjoy the
> introductory example of what he's writing about, including the character
> names Gnorts, Nialliv, Elamef, and Rehcel.

I must confess that I hadn't noticed until now, the following: "Strong",
"Villain", "Female", and "Lecher".

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<us053v$22qlp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97094&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97094

From: rja.carnegie@gmail.com (Robert Carnegie)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:18:55 +0000
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:18 UTC

On 02/03/2024 05:54, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <urtlbv$1fan1$1@dont-email.me>,
> Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2/29/24 1:00 AM, Robert Woodward wrote:
>>> I believe that he wrote this because he was concerned about lazy authors
>>> writing very bad heroic fantasy (employing ignorant world building).
>>> According to the ISFDB, this first appeared in _Swords Against Darkness
>>> III_, published in 1978 (the only one of that 5 title anthology series
>>> that I don't have), and the collection _Fantasy_ published by Tor in
>>> 1981. I reread it recently and I think most of his arguments are still
>>> appropriate (there has been more examples recently of backgrounds for
>>> historical fantasy that weren't medieval Europe).
>>>

>> I just re-read this[1], and I agree with you. I also really enjoy the
>> introductory example of what he's writing about, including the character
>> names Gnorts, Nialliv, Elamef, and Rehcel.
>>

> I must confess that I hadn't noticed until now, the following: "Strong",
> "Villain", "Female", and "Lecher".

I ron. :-)
I'll have to watch out for this Nosredna.

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<us0dt9$24hg0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97098&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97098

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 15:49:00 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 23:49 UTC

On 3/2/2024 1:18 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
> On 02/03/2024 05:54, Robert Woodward wrote:
>> In article <urtlbv$1fan1$1@dont-email.me>,
>>   Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I just re-read this[1], and I agree with you. I also really enjoy the
>>> introductory example of what he's writing about, including the character
>>> names Gnorts, Nialliv, Elamef, and Rehcel.
>>>

>> I must confess that I hadn't noticed until now, the following: "Strong",
>> "Villain", "Female", and "Lecher".
>
> I ron.  :-)
> I'll have to watch out for this Nosredna.

That's MISTER Nosredna!

dirty old man.

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<us265b$2ibu2$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97104&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97104

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:48:59 -0500
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 15:48 UTC

On 3/2/24 6:49 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> On 3/2/2024 1:18 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
>> On 02/03/2024 05:54, Robert Woodward wrote:

>>> I must confess that I hadn't noticed until now, the following: "Strong",
>>> "Villain", "Female", and "Lecher".
>>
>> I ron.  :-)
>> I'll have to watch out for this Nosredna.
>>
> That's MISTER Nosredna!

And definitely not RETSIM Nosredna - that would just be silly.

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<0001HW.2B94FE6503385678700000B2638F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97109&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97109

Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 13:52:21 -0500
From: akwolffan@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
 by: WolfFan - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 18:52 UTC

On Mar 3, 2024, Tony Nance wrote
(in article <us265b$2ibu2$4@dont-email.me>):

> On 3/2/24 6:49 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

> > > I ron. :-)
> > > I'll have to watch out for this Nosredna.
> > That's MISTER Nosredna!
>
> And definitely not RETSIM Nosredna - that would just be silly.

Unless, of course, you’re in the matrix.

Now which colour pill was I supposed to take, again?

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<l4k0lvFl7p3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97110&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97110

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 3 Mar 2024 19:17:19 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 19:17 UTC

In article <0001HW.2B94FE6503385678700000B2638F@news.supernews.com>,
WolfFan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>On Mar 3, 2024, Tony Nance wrote
>(in article <us265b$2ibu2$4@dont-email.me>):

>anthology series
>are still
>backgrounds for

>> > That's MISTER Nosredna!
>>
>> And definitely not RETSIM Nosredna - that would just be silly.
>
>Unless, of course, you’re in the matrix.
>
>Now which colour pill was I supposed to take, again?

G'nort is (perhaps was after all the reboots?) a caniform Green Lantern
whom the Guardians keep around for laughs. (But who nonetheless has
does a heroes turn from time to time).
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<us34an$2p2t0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97122&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97122

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 16:23:54 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 00:23 UTC

On 3/3/2024 10:52 AM, WolfFan wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2024, Tony Nance wrote
> (in article <us265b$2ibu2$4@dont-email.me>):

>>> That's MISTER Nosredna!
>>
>> And definitely not RETSIM Nosredna - that would just be silly.
>
> Unless, of course, you’re in the matrix.
>
> Now which colour pill was I supposed to take, again?

Purple.

dirty old man.

Re: Poul Anderson's essay "On Thud and Blunder"

<usn42b$3l9th$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97329&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97329

From: michael.stemper@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 09:22:03 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:22 UTC

On 01/03/2024 23.54, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <urtlbv$1fan1$1@dont-email.me>,
> Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I just re-read this[1], and I agree with you. I also really enjoy the
>> introductory example of what he's writing about, including the character
>> names Gnorts, Nialliv, Elamef, and Rehcel.
>
> I must confess that I hadn't noticed until now, the following: "Strong",
> "Villain", "Female", and "Lecher".

When I read it, I noticed Gnorts, but none of the others.

--
Michael F. Stemper
If it isn't running programs and it isn't fusing atoms, it's just bending space.