BEWARE! People acting under the influence of human nature.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips Walker

SubjectAuthor
* The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips WalkerJoy Beeson
+- Re: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips Walkerted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
+* Re: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips WalkerPaul S Person
|`- Re: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips WalkerScott Dorsey
+- Re: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips WalkerRobert Carnegie
`- Re: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips WalkerTitus G

1
The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips Walker

<m245ui5fhdl7mtdvokcvscprc33m7tg3ga@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97079&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97079

From: jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid (Joy Beeson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips Walker
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 21:36:19 -0500
 by: Joy Beeson - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 02:36 UTC

Monday, 26 February 2024

Today a make-it-up-as-you go along song that I heard thirty or forty
years ago came into my head:

We had a gum tree, No gum would it give
Until that rooster came into the yard
And caught that gum tree right off of its guard
Now it's growing chicklets, just like it uster
Ever since that rooster
came into the yard.

So I duck-ducked "rooster came into the yard" (with quotes) in hope of
turning up more verses. It turns out that knowledge of the song is
very widespread, but the verses I found made those that I remember
look like Shakespear.

The phrase "rooster came into the yard" also appears in "The Rooster
That Crowed Too Soon" in the Gutenberg edition of

The Sandman's Hour
Stories for Bedtime

Abbie Phillips Walker
Illustrated by Rhoda C. Chase

Harper & Brothers, Publishers
Copyright 1917

E-Book release August 25, 2013

I thought my review would read "The kindest thing one can say about
these stories it that there are no errors in spelling, grammar, or
punctuation."

The characters don't aspire to cardboard, the plots are hardly
anecdotes, and the morals are anvilicious.

Yet I read every last one when I should have been doing something
else.

They are, at least, very short.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at centurylink dot net

Re: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips Walker

<l4fl4oFt69U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97080&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97080

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips Walker
Date: 2 Mar 2024 03:35:52 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 03:35 UTC

In article <m245ui5fhdl7mtdvokcvscprc33m7tg3ga@4ax.com>,
Joy Beeson <jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

>Monday, 26 February 2024
>
>Today a make-it-up-as-you go along song that I heard thirty or forty
>years ago came into my head:
>
>We had a gum tree, No gum would it give
>Until that rooster came into the yard
>And caught that gum tree right off of its guard
>Now it's growing chicklets, just like it uster
>Ever since that rooster
>came into the yard.
>
>So I duck-ducked "rooster came into the yard" (with quotes) in hope of
>turning up more verses. It turns out that knowledge of the song is
>very widespread, but the verses I found made those that I remember
>look like Shakespear.

I've heard the song sung in fan setting, though I'm not sure if that's
where the singers learned it.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips Walker

<0sl6uidc12c6o9t1irdn1icd358c9d7l73@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97089&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97089

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 08:50:32 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 16:50 UTC

On Fri, 01 Mar 2024 21:36:19 -0500, Joy Beeson
<jbeeson@invalid.net.invalid> wrote:

>Monday, 26 February 2024
>
>Today a make-it-up-as-you go along song that I heard thirty or forty
>years ago came into my head:
>
>We had a gum tree, No gum would it give
>Until that rooster came into the yard
>And caught that gum tree right off of its guard
>Now it's growing chicklets, just like it uster
>Ever since that rooster
>came into the yard.
>
>So I duck-ducked "rooster came into the yard" (with quotes) in hope of
>turning up more verses. It turns out that knowledge of the song is
>very widespread, but the verses I found made those that I remember
>look like Shakespear.

The version I have on CD starts with the rooster solving the
hens'-aren't-laying-eggs problem, and then applies that to ... other
barnyard problems.
I suspect it is in one of the New Christie Minstrel's medleys, but I
can't be sure.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips Walker

<urvqp5$od0$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97091&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97091

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 2 Mar 2024 18:22:29 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 18:22 UTC

Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>The version I have on CD starts with the rooster solving the
>hens'-aren't-laying-eggs problem, and then applies that to ... other
>barnyard problems.

Yes, that is precisely the point of the song. We had a elephant and
no tusks would she grow..... she's laying bowling balls of solid ivory
ever since that rooster came into our yard.

I first heard the song from Robin Welch at Sci-Con in Norfolk back in
the eighties. It is no doubt much older than that and likely dates
to the Great Folk Scare of the 1960s.
--scott

Re: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips Walker

<us0923$23nge$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97097&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97097

From: rja.carnegie@gmail.com (Robert Carnegie)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 22:26:09 +0000
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 22:26 UTC

On 02/03/2024 02:36, Joy Beeson wrote:

> Monday, 26 February 2024
>
> Today a make-it-up-as-you go along song that I heard thirty or forty
> years ago came into my head:
>
> We had a gum tree, No gum would it give
> Until that rooster came into the yard
> And caught that gum tree right off of its guard
> Now it's growing chicklets, just like it uster
> Ever since that rooster
> came into the yard.
>
> So I duck-ducked "rooster came into the yard" (with quotes) in hope of
> turning up more verses. It turns out that knowledge of the song is
> very widespread, but the verses I found made those that I remember
> look like Shakespear.
>
> The phrase "rooster came into the yard" also appears in "The Rooster
> That Crowed Too Soon" in the Gutenberg edition of
>

> The Sandman's Hour
> Stories for Bedtime
>
> Abbie Phillips Walker
> Illustrated by Rhoda C. Chase
>
> Harper & Brothers, Publishers
> Copyright 1917
>

> E-Book release August 25, 2013
>

> I thought my review would read "The kindest thing one can say about
> these stories it that there are no errors in spelling, grammar, or
> punctuation."
>
> The characters don't aspire to cardboard, the plots are hardly
> anecdotes, and the morals are anvilicious.
>
> Yet I read every last one when I should have been doing something
> else.
>
> They are, at least, very short.

Since it says "Stories for Bedtime", it seems
to be intended as engaging while not exciting.

However, _Sandman's Rainy Day Stories_ (1920)
as well as _Sandman's Goodnight Stories_ (1921)
also are available. "Goodnight" doesn't include
a cover, but "Rainy Day" has a large crescent
moon, on a clear night evidently, and all of
them are presented with one piece of interior
art with a large full moon, as well, in whose
light the Sandman applies the opioid.

I suppose that on a rainy day you want your
children to nap, too.

But thoughtful readers will expect this to happen.
<https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?38200>
Though his is a cover of _The Dwath Rays of Ardilla_.
(Death rays are not shown.)

I wonder if the "Sandman" as well as
"Where the Sparks Go" inspired elements
in _Logan's Run_. I don't think people
read in that setting, but its _Sandman's
Goodnight Stories_ is probably not in
the same style anyway.

Re: The Sandman's Hour, Abbie Phillips Walker

<us3can$2qij7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97123&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97123

From: noone@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 15:40:23 +1300
 by: Titus G - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 02:40 UTC

On 2/03/24 15:36, Joy Beeson wrote:

> The characters don't aspire to cardboard, the plots are hardly
> anecdotes, and the morals are anvilicious.

Brilliant. (But I had to look up anvilicious.)