Many people are unenthusiastic about their work.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

SubjectAuthor
* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykLynn McGuire
+* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedykted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|`* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykThe Horny Goat
| `* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk-dsr-
|  `* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedykted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|   `* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykThe Horny Goat
|    +* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykLynn McGuire
|    |+- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykDimensional Traveler
|    |+* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykChristian Weisgerber
|    ||+- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedykted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|    ||`* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykScott Dorsey
|    || `* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykScott Lurndal
|    ||  +- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykScott Dorsey
|    ||  +- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykChristian Weisgerber
|    ||  +- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykKevrob
|    ||  `- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykKevrob
|    |`- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedykpyotr filipivich
|    `- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedykpyotr filipivich
`* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykKevrob
 `* Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykScott Lurndal
  `- Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard ChwedykMike Van Pelt

1
Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<ur6fq8$3klot$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96868&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96868

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard
Chwedyk
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 21:41:59 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 03:41 UTC

On 9/28/2022 2:11 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> [...]
> read the well printed and well bound trade paperback published by
> Richard Chwedyk in 2021 and written by Heinlein in 1981.  I bought this
> copy new on Amazon, I also have a 1982 MMPB copy that I do not remember
> reading back then.
>
> The world of "Gulf" and "Friday" is way different from ours.  Many
> things are much more advanced yet the population of Earth is
> significantly reduced due to constant wars and diseases.  People can
> travel to the Moon and the stars using the beanstalks but travel locally
> using horses and carriages.  Plus ballistic travel between the
> continents from place to place in 30 minutes is common.  Anti-gravity
> devices are used but incredibly expensive.  And the USA has been broken
> up into several nation states along with Canada and others.  And there
> are several colonies in other star systems using huge FTL space ships,
> much like the old ocean liners that carried both humans and cargo.
>
> Friday Jones Baldwin is the biological daughter of the two secret agents
> who died at the end of "Gulf" on Luna preventing the immolation of
> Earth, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Greene.  Of course, Friday's genes were
> significantly enhanced for intelligence, strength, speed, and disease
> resistance.  And plus some genes from Kettle Belly "Two Canes" Baldwin,
> her adopted father and her boss.  Due to to the common saying, "her
> mother was a test tube, her father was a sharp knife", Friday is an
> artificial person with almost no rights and not a human.  But nobody
> knows that Friday is an artificial person as Kettle Belly adopted her
> and created birth records for her.  Unless, she tells her secret.
>
> Friday is a combat ready courier and secret agent.  Her enhanced speed,
> strength, and training make her a formidable courier for moving valuable
> materials in the dangerous world that Heinlein has built.  She can kill
> without remorse and loves freely, way too freely.  In fact, Heinlein
> brought his concept of group marriages to "Friday" that he wrote about
> in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".  He even destroys a group marriage to
> show how easily they can break up also.
>
> As always, Heinlein dedicated this book to his friends and this book is
> dedicated to thirty-one strong ladies, including Roberta Pournelle,
> Judy-Lynn Del Rey, Ginny (his wife), Marilyn Niven, Joan De Vinge,
> Catherine Sprague de Camp, etc.
>     https://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/dedications.html
>
> Warning, both "Gulf" and "Friday" have very detailed torture scenes in
> them.  The descriptions are quite breathtaking.
>
> The Heinlein apologist, Hugo and Nebula award winning author Jo Walton
> says this about "Friday" in a 2009 review, "The worst book I love:
> Robert Heinlein’s Friday".  She complains that there is no plot but to
> me, the best plot is just life.
>
> https://www.tor.com/2009/06/14/the-worst-book-i-love-robert-heinleins-friday/
>
> My rating:  5 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating:  4.5 out of 5 stars (1,044 reviews)

Am I right in thinking that "Friday" would be in no way labeled a Young
Adult book ?

Lynn

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<l3nuseF8510U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96870&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96870

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: 22 Feb 2024 03:54:54 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 03:54 UTC

In article <ur6fq8$3klot$2@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> dedicated to thirty-one strong ladies, including Roberta Pournelle,
>> Judy-Lynn Del Rey, Ginny (his wife), Marilyn Niven, Joan De Vinge,
>> Catherine Sprague de Camp, etc.
>>     https://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/dedications.html
>>
>> Warning, both "Gulf" and "Friday" have very detailed torture scenes in
>> them.  The descriptions are quite breathtaking.
>>
>> The Heinlein apologist, Hugo and Nebula award winning author Jo Walton
>> says this about "Friday" in a 2009 review, "The worst book I love:
>> Robert Heinlein’s Friday".  She complains that there is no plot but to
>> me, the best plot is just life.
>>
>> https://www.tor.com/2009/06/14/the-worst-book-i-love-robert-heinleins-friday/
>>
>> My rating:  5 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating:  4.5 out of 5 stars (1,044 reviews)
>>
>> Lynn
>
>Am I right in thinking that "Friday" would be in no way labeled a Young

I would agree. Friday is learning to make her way, but as an adult,
not as an adolescent coming into maturity.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<pnpdtidgvi4jth9hpi3g5ssct07f3c5jgf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96876&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96876

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2024 22:18:10 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 06:18 UTC

On 22 Feb 2024 03:54:54 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

>>Am I right in thinking that "Friday" would be in no way labeled a Young
>>Adult book ?
>>

>I would agree. Friday is learning to make her way, but as an adult,
>not as an adolescent coming into maturity.

I can see it might be marketed that way but I agree by no reasonable
standard can it be called the 'young adult' genre.

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<slrnutpis7.cn3.dsr-usenet@randomstring.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97008&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97008

From: dsr-usenet@randomstring.org (-dsr-)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 12:33:59 -0500
 by: -dsr- - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 17:33 UTC

On 2024-02-22, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
> On 22 Feb 2024 03:54:54 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
><tednolan>) wrote:
>
>>>Am I right in thinking that "Friday" would be in no way labeled a Young
>>>Adult book ?
>>>

>>I would agree. Friday is learning to make her way, but as an adult,
>>not as an adolescent coming into maturity.
>
> I can see it might be marketed that way but I agree by no reasonable
> standard can it be called the 'young adult' genre.

It's never been marketed that way, and it seems unlikely that it will.

The cover painting by Michael Whelan: https://www.michaelwhelan.com/galleries/friday/
shows a model in a mostly unzipped jumpsuit, with remarkably phallic zipper
pull-tabs.

It contains a scattering of Heinleinian obsessions: polyamory, legal-financial
problems caused by mustache-twirling betrayal, cheap ground-to-orbit and
moderate expensive FTL, cruise ships, and evil taxes.

Also has an Internet run almost entirely as an integrated multimedia search engine.

-dsr-

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<l443k6F7j78U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97010&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97010

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: 26 Feb 2024 18:29:27 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:29 UTC

In article <slrnutpis7.cn3.dsr-usenet@randomstring.org>,
-dsr- <dsr-usenet@randomstring.org> wrote:
>On 2024-02-22, The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:

>>>I would agree. Friday is learning to make her way, but as an adult,
>>>not as an adolescent coming into maturity.
>>
>> I can see it might be marketed that way but I agree by no reasonable
>> standard can it be called the 'young adult' genre.
>

>It's never been marketed that way, and it seems unlikely that it will.
>
>The cover painting by Michael Whelan:
>https://www.michaelwhelan.com/galleries/friday/
>shows a model in a mostly unzipped jumpsuit, with remarkably phallic zipper
>pull-tabs.
>
>It contains a scattering of Heinleinian obsessions: polyamory, legal-financial
>problems caused by mustache-twirling betrayal, cheap ground-to-orbit and
>moderate expensive FTL, cruise ships, and evil taxes.
>
>Also has an Internet run almost entirely as an integrated multimedia
>search engine.
>
>-dsr-

The polyamory & sex in general would have been a YA deal-breaker at the
time of publication. Probably not so much now. (But I still don't think
_Friday_ would fit).
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<kj5cuilkir69bg8gvgs8nd28aqf6qucb19@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97135&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97135

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 10:46:36 -0800
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:46 UTC

On 26 Feb 2024 18:29:27 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

>The polyamory & sex in general would have been a YA deal-breaker at the
>time of publication. Probably not so much now. (But I still don't think
>_Friday_ would fit).
>--
One wonders if that jump suit would either - certainly the cover on MY
copy (either long gone or in a box somewhere) but certainly not the
cover at
https://www.amazon.ca/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/ref=asc_df_1647100259/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459570889342&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2777652193581257372&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001576&hvtargid=pla-1079418750878&psc=1&mcid=31e7c9b3d64d3bf4879ffdd1969d7fcc
would certainly have been attractive to older male teenagers as I
recall...

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<us5h4b$3cacp$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97153&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97153

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:14:35 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:14 UTC

On 3/4/2024 12:46 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2024 18:29:27 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
> <tednolan>) wrote:
>
>> The polyamory & sex in general would have been a YA deal-breaker at the
>> time of publication. Probably not so much now. (But I still don't think
>> _Friday_ would fit).
>> --
> One wonders if that jump suit would either - certainly the cover on MY
> copy (either long gone or in a box somewhere) but certainly not the
> cover at
> https://www.amazon.ca/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/ref=asc_df_1647100259/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459570889342&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2777652193581257372&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001576&hvtargid=pla-1079418750878&psc=1&mcid=31e7c9b3d64d3bf4879ffdd1969d7fcc
> would certainly have been attractive to older male teenagers as I
> recall...

My wife had a red one just like it when she was 23 in 1981. I liked the
zipper that I was not allowed to touch.
https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein-1983-07-12/dp/B01FEK9TIY/

Lynn

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<us60h6$3ijsu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97157&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97157

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:37:29 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 02:37 UTC

On 3/4/2024 2:14 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 3/4/2024 12:46 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On 26 Feb 2024 18:29:27 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
>> <tednolan>) wrote:
>>
>>> The polyamory & sex in general would have been a YA deal-breaker at the
>>> time of publication.  Probably not so much now.  (But I still don't
>>> think
>>> _Friday_ would fit).
>>> --
>> One wonders if that jump suit would either - certainly the cover on MY
>> copy (either long gone or in a box somewhere) but certainly not the
>> cover at
>> https://www.amazon.ca/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/ref=asc_df_1647100259/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459570889342&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2777652193581257372&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001576&hvtargid=pla-1079418750878&psc=1&mcid=31e7c9b3d64d3bf4879ffdd1969d7fcc
>> would certainly have been attractive to older male teenagers as I
>> recall...
>
> My wife had a red one just like it when she was 23 in 1981.  I liked the
> zipper that I was not allowed to touch.
>    https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein-1983-07-12/dp/B01FEK9TIY/

Because its position changed with her mood...

dirty old man.

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<slrnuueh8s.1nn.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97176&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97176

From: naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 16:15:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 16:15 UTC

On 2024-03-04, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein-1983-07-12/dp/B01FEK9TIY/

Is that (very strongly inspired by) Raquel Welch?

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<l4p20jFffbkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97179&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97179

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: 5 Mar 2024 17:10:44 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 17:10 UTC

In article <slrnuueh8s.1nn.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>,
Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>On 2024-03-04, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein-1983-07-12/dp/B01FEK9TIY/
>
>Is that (very strongly inspired by) Raquel Welch?

I, for one, am very strongly inspired by Raquel Welch..
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<us862u$bb9$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97194&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97194

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: 5 Mar 2024 22:24:30 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:24 UTC

Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>On 2024-03-04, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein-1983-07-12/dp/B01FEK9TIY/
>
>Is that (very strongly inspired by) Raquel Welch?

I think that in that era, all young men were inspired by Raquel Welch.
--scott

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<D5NFN.35950$hN14.24058@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97196&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97196

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 22:34:11 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:34 UTC

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
>Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>>On 2024-03-04, Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein-1983-07-12/dp/B01FEK9TIY/
>>
>>Is that (very strongly inspired by) Raquel Welch?
>
>I think that in that era, all young men were inspired by Raquel Welch.

It was Farrah Fawcett in the 80's when _Friday_ was released.

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<us86rd$as8$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97198&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97198

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 5 Mar 2024 22:37:33 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:37 UTC

In article <D5NFN.35950$hN14.24058@fx17.iad>,
Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
>>Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>>>Is that (very strongly inspired by) Raquel Welch?
>>
>>I think that in that era, all young men were inspired by Raquel Welch.
>
>It was Farrah Fawcett in the 80's when _Friday_ was released.

I grant that she was very inspiring as well.
--scott

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<hg7huih09i7nm25s1b5n4aa18bel3as2np@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97229&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97229

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 08:48:39 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:48 UTC

Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> on Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:14:35
-0600 typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:
>On 3/4/2024 12:46 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On 26 Feb 2024 18:29:27 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
>> <tednolan>) wrote:
>>
>>> The polyamory & sex in general would have been a YA deal-breaker at the
>>> time of publication. Probably not so much now. (But I still don't think
>>> _Friday_ would fit).
>>> --
>> One wonders if that jump suit would either - certainly the cover on MY
>> copy (either long gone or in a box somewhere) but certainly not the
>> cover at
>> https://www.amazon.ca/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/ref=asc_df_1647100259/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459570889342&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2777652193581257372&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001576&hvtargid=pla-1079418750878&psc=1&mcid=31e7c9b3d64d3bf4879ffdd1969d7fcc
>> would certainly have been attractive to older male teenagers as I
>> recall...
>
>My wife had a red one just like it when she was 23 in 1981. I liked the
>zipper that I was not allowed to touch.
> https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein-1983-07-12/dp/B01FEK9TIY/

Dad referred to Mom's as the "quick access suit".
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<ce7huipui3s0sg6ph22le8d28bfhvpkg31@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97230&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97230

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 08:48:39 -0800
 by: pyotr filipivich - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:48 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> on Mon, 04 Mar 2024 10:46:36 -0800
typed in rec.arts.sf.written the following:
>On 26 Feb 2024 18:29:27 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
><tednolan>) wrote:
>
>>The polyamory & sex in general would have been a YA deal-breaker at the
>>time of publication. Probably not so much now. (But I still don't think
>>_Friday_ would fit).
>>--
>One wonders if that jump suit would either - certainly the cover on MY
>copy (either long gone or in a box somewhere) but certainly not the
>cover at
>https://www.amazon.ca/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/ref=asc_df_1647100259/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459570889342&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2777652193581257372&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001576&hvtargid=pla-1079418750878&psc=1&mcid=31e7c9b3d64d3bf4879ffdd1969d7fcc
>would certainly have been attractive to older male teenagers as I
>recall...

And males older than teenage.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.
Next Month's Panel: Having eliminated the old Them(tm)
Selecting who insufficiently Woke(tm) as to serve as the new Them(tm)

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<slrnuuhg20.2rsm.naddy@lorvorc.mips.inka.de>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97236&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97236

From: naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:13:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Christian Weisgerber - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:13 UTC

On 2024-03-05, Scott Lurndal <scott@slp53.sl.home> wrote:

>>>Is that (very strongly inspired by) Raquel Welch?
>>
>>I think that in that era, all young men were inspired by Raquel Welch.
>
> It was Farrah Fawcett in the 80's when _Friday_ was released.

That cover does not look like Farrah Fawcett.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber naddy@mips.inka.de

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<e448e3d0-61c5-43f3-9181-09728634f94d@mail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97271&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97271

From: kjrobinson@mail.com (Kevrob)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 15:46:48 -0500
 by: Kevrob - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:46 UTC

On 2/21/2024 10:41 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> [...]
>> is dedicated to thirty-one strong ladies, including Roberta Pournelle,
>> Judy-Lynn Del Rey, Ginny (his wife), Marilyn Niven, Joan De Vinge,
>> Catherine Sprague de Camp, etc.
>>      https://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/dedications.html
>>
>> Warning, both "Gulf" and "Friday" have very detailed torture scenes in
>> them.  The descriptions are quite breathtaking.
>>
>> The Heinlein apologist, Hugo and Nebula award winning author Jo Walton
>> says this about "Friday" in a 2009 review, "The worst book I love:
>> Robert Heinlein’s Friday".  She complains that there is no plot but to
>> me, the best plot is just life.
>>
>> https://www.tor.com/2009/06/14/the-worst-book-i-love-robert-heinleins-friday/
>>
>> My rating:  5 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating:  4.5 out of 5 stars (1,044 reviews)
>>
>> Lynn
>
> Am I right in thinking that "Friday" would be in no way labeled a Young

Not a YA novel, at all. (That was a joke, right?)

_Friday_ was not rare. I was working in the bookstore trade in the 80s.
It sold many copies. Not rare at all.

--
Kevin R

www.avg.com

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<4jqGN.121517$Vrtf.4527@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97272&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97272

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 21:27:28 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 21:27 UTC

Kevrob <kjrobinson@mail.com> writes:
>On 2/21/2024 10:41 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 9/28/2022 2:11 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk
>>>     https://www.amazon.com/Friday-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1647100259/
>>>
>>> The second book of a rare two book science fiction series by Heinlein.
>>> I read the well printed and well bound trade paperback published by
>>> Richard Chwedyk in 2021 and written by Heinlein in 1981.  I bought
>>> this copy new on Amazon, I also have a 1982 MMPB copy that I do not
>>> remember reading back then.

>> Am I right in thinking that "Friday" would be in no way labeled a Young
>> Adult book ?
>>
>> Lynn
>
>Not a YA novel, at all. (That was a joke, right?)
>
>_Friday_ was not rare. I was working in the bookstore trade in the 80s.
>It sold many copies. Not rare at all.

I believe 'rare' applied to "two-book series", not _Friday_ itself.

And I don't know that I'd consider _Gulf_ + _Friday_ as a two-book
series.

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<e48a279b-7f79-4500-bf15-b7062203325c@mail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97276&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97276

From: kjrobinson@mail.com (Kevrob)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 17:55:10 -0500
 by: Kevrob - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 22:55 UTC

On 3/5/2024 5:34 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
>> Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>>> Is that (very strongly inspired by) Raquel Welch?
>>
>> I think that in that era, all young men were inspired by Raquel Welch.
>
> It was Farrah Fawcett in the 80's when _Friday_ was released.

ObSF film: both of them in the wonderfully awful _Myra Breckinridge_.

--
Kevin R

www.avg.com

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<a94e24e2-f1a3-402c-8c3d-51a5d1255e74@mail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97277&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97277

From: kjrobinson@mail.com (Kevrob)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Chwedyk
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:03:35 -0500
 by: Kevrob - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:03 UTC

On 3/5/2024 5:34 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) writes:
>> Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:

>>> Is that (very strongly inspired by) Raquel Welch?
>>
>> I think that in that era, all young men were inspired by Raquel Welch.
>
> It was Farrah Fawcett in the 80's when _Friday_ was released.

Both in the film of _Myra Breckinridge_ .

--
Kevin R

www.avg.com

Re: "Friday" By Robert A. Heinlein with introduction by Richard Chwedyk

<uslf1d$373ft$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97318&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97318

From: usenet@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:17:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:17 UTC

In article <4jqGN.121517$Vrtf.4527@fx39.iad>,
Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>And I don't know that I'd consider _Gulf_ + _Friday_ as a
>two-book series.

_Friday_ really cried out for a book between it and _Gulf_.
I just couldn't believe that the super-competent Baldwin
in _Gulf_ would have left his affairs in such a state of
disarray as he did in _Friday_. And what was the rift
between him and the organization in _Gulf_? Why was
the "think faster and more accurately" langage not
mentioned in _Friday_?

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane