From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Tanith Lee (1947-2015) wins Infinity Award.
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 01:48:24 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 01:48 UTC

Tanith Lee (1947-2015) wins Infinity Award.

"The SFWA Board voted to create the Infinity Award to posthumously
honor acclaimed creators who passed away before they could be considered
for a Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award."

https://nebulas.sfwa.org/nominated-work/tanith-lee/

Re: Tanith Lee (1947-2015) wins Infinity Award.

<rab3vilpsk1cqteoea6jcrldo50jqf2okq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97388&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97388

From: quadibloc@servername.invalid (John Savard)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Tanith Lee (1947-2015) wins Infinity Award.
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 07:45:31 -0600
 by: John Savard - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 13:45 UTC

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 01:48:24 -0000 (UTC), jdnicoll@panix.com (James
Nicoll) wrote:

>Tanith Lee (1947-2015) wins Infinity Award.
>
>"The SFWA Board voted to create the Infinity Award to posthumously
>honor acclaimed creators who passed away before they could be considered
>for a Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award."
>
>https://nebulas.sfwa.org/nominated-work/tanith-lee/

It is altogether right and proper that they did this.

But there's a reason why many awards specifically exclude the giving
of posthumous awards, from the Nobel Prize on down.

Will there have to be a rule specifically excluding Verne and Wells -
not to mention Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein - from consideration?

John Savard

Re: Tanith Lee (1947-2015) wins Infinity Award.

<robertaw-A5AB2A.09430513032024@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97393&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97393

From: robertaw@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 09:43:05 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 16:43 UTC

In article <rab3vilpsk1cqteoea6jcrldo50jqf2okq@4ax.com>,
John Savard <quadibloc@servername.invalid> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 01:48:24 -0000 (UTC), jdnicoll@panix.com (James
> Nicoll) wrote:
>
> >Tanith Lee (1947-2015) wins Infinity Award.
> >
> >"The SFWA Board voted to create the Infinity Award to posthumously
> >honor acclaimed creators who passed away before they could be considered
> >for a Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award."
> >
> >https://nebulas.sfwa.org/nominated-work/tanith-lee/
>
> It is altogether right and proper that they did this.
>
> But there's a reason why many awards specifically exclude the giving
> of posthumous awards, from the Nobel Prize on down.
>
> Will there have to be a rule specifically excluding Verne and Wells -
> not to mention Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein - from consideration?

There is already a rule that excludes Asimov (8th), Clarke (7th), and
Heinlein (1st) because they already had been awarded the DKM Grand
Master Award.

Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: Tanith Lee (1947-2015) wins Infinity Award.

<ndgevilrgfpi3hfk60sfudfp50evnku0cj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97494&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97494

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 12:18:59 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 19:18 UTC

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 07:45:31 -0600, John Savard
<quadibloc@servername.invalid> wrote:

>>"The SFWA Board voted to create the Infinity Award to posthumously
>>honor acclaimed creators who passed away before they could be considered
>>for a Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award."
>>
>>https://nebulas.sfwa.org/nominated-work/tanith-lee/
>
>It is altogether right and proper that they did this.
>
>But there's a reason why many awards specifically exclude the giving
>of posthumous awards, from the Nobel Prize on down.
>
>Will there have to be a rule specifically excluding Verne and Wells -
>not to mention Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein - from consideration?

Yeah I was rather bummed when a chemistry professor from my alma mater
by dying failed to get a Nobel for making the first chemical compounds
of Xenon - a "noble gas" that until he did it hadn't combined with
anything.

No question he should have at least been on the short list.