How do you explain school to a higher intelligence? -- Elliot, "E.T."

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

SubjectAuthor
* "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinLynn McGuire
+* Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinDon
|+- Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinleinted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
|+* Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinLynn McGuire
||+* Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinCryptoengineer
|||`- Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinleinted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
||`* Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinDon
|| `- Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinLynn McGuire
|`- Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinleinted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
+* Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinDon
|+- Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinLynn McGuire
|`* Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinMichael F. Stemper
| +- Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinleinted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| `- Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinDon
`* Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinMichael F. Stemper
 +- Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinScott Lurndal
 +* Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinDon
 |+- Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinMichael F. Stemper
 |`- Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinJames Nicoll
 `* Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinLynn McGuire
  `* Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinleinted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
   `- Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. HeinleinJerry Brown

1
"Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<us86qv$96e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97197&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97197

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 16:37:16 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:37 UTC

"Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/

A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book. I reread my
used 1986 MMPB copy that somebody converted into a hardback. The font
is kinda small but the after market Demco binding was solid. The book
was first published as a hardback by Scribner in 1957. Warning, the
story moves quickly and is very hard to put down. Good luck on getting
a new dead tree MMPB or trade paperback as the book is out of print again.

One of my top ten favorite books of all time. This book just pushes all
my buttons: space opera, thousands of occupied planets, the free traders
spaceships, military sf, well thought out space aliens, a rich and
infinite universe, a likable protagonist, great mentors, good people
making tough and good decisions, FTL spaceships, air cars, the 3,000+
light year Terran Hegemony sphere, etc, etc, etc.

The book is really three books in one: slave, trader, military. It was
originally serialized in Astounding magazine in three issues in 1957.
Heinlein could have easily made this book into a long series but chose
not to. Interesting decision. For instance, did Leda and Thorby get
married ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_of_the_Galaxy

Jo Walton's much better review is at:
https://reactormag.com/citizengalaxy/

My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,419 reviews)

Lynn

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<20240305b@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97201&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97201

From: g@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 23:52:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Tue, 5 Mar 2024 23:52 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
> https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>
> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book. I reread my
> used 1986 MMPB copy that somebody converted into a hardback. The font
> is kinda small but the after market Demco binding was solid. The book
> was first published as a hardback by Scribner in 1957. Warning, the
> story moves quickly and is very hard to put down. Good luck on getting
> a new dead tree MMPB or trade paperback as the book is out of print again.
>
> One of my top ten favorite books of all time. This book just pushes all
> my buttons: space opera, thousands of occupied planets, the free traders
> spaceships, military sf, well thought out space aliens, a rich and
> infinite universe, a likable protagonist, great mentors, good people
> making tough and good decisions, FTL spaceships, air cars, the 3,000+
> light year Terran Hegemony sphere, etc, etc, etc.
>
> The book is really three books in one: slave, trader, military. It was
> originally serialized in Astounding magazine in three issues in 1957.
> Heinlein could have easily made this book into a long series but chose
> not to. Interesting decision. For instance, did Leda and Thorby get
> married ?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_of_the_Galaxy
>
> Jo Walton's much better review is at:
> https://reactormag.com/citizengalaxy/
>
> My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,419 reviews)

Rhetorical questions follow (eg no followup necessary).

Do you remember how, at first, Ackerman assumed an adolescent audience
and targeted translations to it? Only later did he discover the vast
number of adults who read _Perry Rhodan_. It turns out the same story's
shared by Young Adult fiction:

According to the American Book Publishers, eBooks sales of
YA increased by a massive 53% [in 2020]. This is particularly
interesting, as studies suggest teenagers (the alleged 'core
market' for YA) do not read eBooks as much as adults. This
therefore indicates that the current audience of YA Fiction
is mostly comprised of adults.

<https://web.archive.org/web/20210228124802/https://writersedit.com/fiction-writing/sydney-writers-festival-rise-rise-young-adult-fiction/>

# # #

_Higgs Fake How Particle Physicists Fooled the Nobel Committee_ is about
played out on my mp3 player. Thank God! It's depressing to realize how
much stupid you must internalize in order to feed at gooberment's
Byzantine trough.

Anyhow, _Citizen_'s appears at the number two position on your list. It
was last read by me when James reviewed it about a decade ago. It's just
the tonic to help me escape gooberment induced funk!

And why not listen to your number one pick, _Rogue Moon_, afterward?
It's been on my To Be Heard list for about a decade.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<l4ps3lFjcinU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97203&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97203

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 6 Mar 2024 00:36:05 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 00:36 UTC

In article <20240305b@crcomp.net>, Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
>> https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>>
>> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book. I reread my
>> used 1986 MMPB copy that somebody converted into a hardback. The font
>> is kinda small but the after market Demco binding was solid. The book
>> was first published as a hardback by Scribner in 1957. Warning, the
>> story moves quickly and is very hard to put down. Good luck on getting
>> a new dead tree MMPB or trade paperback as the book is out of print again.
>>
>> One of my top ten favorite books of all time. This book just pushes all
>> my buttons: space opera, thousands of occupied planets, the free traders
>> spaceships, military sf, well thought out space aliens, a rich and
>> infinite universe, a likable protagonist, great mentors, good people
>> making tough and good decisions, FTL spaceships, air cars, the 3,000+
>> light year Terran Hegemony sphere, etc, etc, etc.
>>
>> The book is really three books in one: slave, trader, military. It was
>> originally serialized in Astounding magazine in three issues in 1957.
>> Heinlein could have easily made this book into a long series but chose
>> not to. Interesting decision. For instance, did Leda and Thorby get
>> married ?
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_of_the_Galaxy
>>
>> Jo Walton's much better review is at:
>> https://reactormag.com/citizengalaxy/
>>
>> My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,419 reviews)
>
>Rhetorical questions follow (eg no followup necessary).
>
>Do you remember how, at first, Ackerman assumed an adolescent audience
>and targeted translations to it? Only later did he discover the vast
>number of adults who read _Perry Rhodan_. It turns out the same story's
>shared by Young Adult fiction:
>
> According to the American Book Publishers, eBooks sales of
> YA increased by a massive 53% [in 2020]. This is particularly
> interesting, as studies suggest teenagers (the alleged 'core
> market' for YA) do not read eBooks as much as adults. This
> therefore indicates that the current audience of YA Fiction
> is mostly comprised of adults.
>
><https://web.archive.org/web/20210228124802/https://writersedit.com/fiction-writing/sydney-writers-festival-rise-rise-young-adult-fiction/>
>
># # #

I'm not sure current teenagers read, period. Certainly the two I know best
do not. (Nothing longer than a text anyway, but true, a lot of those)
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<us8o1c$6oh9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97208&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97208

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 21:30:51 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 03:30 UTC

On 3/5/2024 5:52 PM, Don wrote:
> [...]
> therefore indicates that the current audience of YA Fiction
> is mostly comprised of adults.
>
> <https://web.archive.org/web/20210228124802/https://writersedit.com/fiction-writing/sydney-writers-festival-rise-rise-young-adult-fiction/>
>
> # # #
>
> _Higgs Fake How Particle Physicists Fooled the Nobel Committee_ is about
> played out on my mp3 player. Thank God! It's depressing to realize how
> much stupid you must internalize in order to feed at gooberment's
> Byzantine trough.
>
> Anyhow, _Citizen_'s appears at the number two position on your list. It
> was last read by me when James reviewed it about a decade ago. It's just
> the tonic to help me escape gooberment induced funk!
>
> And why not listen to your number one pick, _Rogue Moon_, afterward?
> It's been on my To Be Heard list for about a decade.

Did you mean "Mutineer's Moon" ? That is on my short reread list, ie,
my nightstand.

Lynn

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<us8obq$6q1f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97209&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97209

From: petertrei@gmail.com (Cryptoengineer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:36:26 -0500
 by: Cryptoengineer - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 03:36 UTC

On 3/5/2024 10:30 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> <https://web.archive.org/web/20210228124802/https://writersedit.com/fiction-writing/sydney-writers-festival-rise-rise-young-adult-fiction/>
>>
>> # # #
>>
>> _Higgs Fake How Particle Physicists Fooled the Nobel Committee_ is about
>> played out on my mp3 player. Thank God! It's depressing to realize how
>> much stupid you must internalize in order to feed at gooberment's
>> Byzantine trough.
>>
>> Anyhow, _Citizen_'s appears at the number two position on your list. It
>> was last read by me when James reviewed it about a decade ago. It's just
>> the tonic to help me escape gooberment induced funk!
>>
>> And why not listen to your number one pick, _Rogue Moon_, afterward?
>> It's been on my To Be Heard list for about a decade.
>>
>> Danke,
>
> Did you mean "Mutineer's Moon" ?  That is on my short reread list, ie,

More probably 'Rogue Moon', by Algis Budrys, in 1960.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Moon

pt

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<l4q8d6Fl4a3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97210&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97210

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 6 Mar 2024 04:05:58 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 04:05 UTC

In article <20240305b@crcomp.net>, Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
>> https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>>
>> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book. I reread my
>> used 1986 MMPB copy that somebody converted into a hardback. The font
>> is kinda small but the after market Demco binding was solid. The book
>> was first published as a hardback by Scribner in 1957. Warning, the
>> story moves quickly and is very hard to put down. Good luck on getting
>> a new dead tree MMPB or trade paperback as the book is out of print again.
>>
>> One of my top ten favorite books of all time. This book just pushes all
>> my buttons: space opera, thousands of occupied planets, the free traders
>> spaceships, military sf, well thought out space aliens, a rich and
>> infinite universe, a likable protagonist, great mentors, good people
>> making tough and good decisions, FTL spaceships, air cars, the 3,000+
>> light year Terran Hegemony sphere, etc, etc, etc.
>>
>> The book is really three books in one: slave, trader, military. It was
>> originally serialized in Astounding magazine in three issues in 1957.
>> Heinlein could have easily made this book into a long series but chose
>> not to. Interesting decision. For instance, did Leda and Thorby get
>> married ?
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_of_the_Galaxy
>>
>> Jo Walton's much better review is at:
>> https://reactormag.com/citizengalaxy/
>>
>> My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,419 reviews)
>
>Rhetorical questions follow (eg no followup necessary).
>
>Do you remember how, at first, Ackerman assumed an adolescent audience
>and targeted translations to it? Only later did he discover the vast
>number of adults who read _Perry Rhodan_. It turns out the same story's
>shared by Young Adult fiction:

I recall that. He shared a letter castigating him for signing the
editorials "Your Hyper-Pal", or something like that.

However, he apparently wasn't alone. As I recall, Wollheim started the
"Cap Kennedy" juveniles at DAW to compete with Ackerman's Perry franchaise.
I still wish those hadn't kind of tapered off, as there were a lot of
things unresolved.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<l4q8ffFl4a3U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97211&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97211

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 6 Mar 2024 04:07:11 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 04:07 UTC

In article <us8obq$6q1f$1@dont-email.me>,
Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 3/5/2024 10:30 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

>>> Rhetorical questions follow (eg no followup necessary).
>>>
>>> Do you remember how, at first, Ackerman assumed an adolescent audience
>>> and targeted translations to it? Only later did he discover the vast
>>> number of adults who read _Perry Rhodan_. It turns out the same story's
>>> shared by Young Adult fiction:
>>>
>>>      According to the American Book Publishers, eBooks sales of
>>>      YA increased by a massive 53% [in 2020]. This is particularly
>>>      interesting, as studies suggest teenagers (the alleged 'core
>>>      market' for YA) do not read eBooks as much as adults. This
>>>      therefore indicates that the current audience of YA Fiction
>>>      is mostly comprised of adults.
>>>

><https://web.archive.org/web/20210228124802/https://writersedit.com/fiction-writing/sydney-writers-festival-rise-rise-young-adult-fiction/>
>>>
>>> # # #
>>>
>>> _Higgs Fake How Particle Physicists Fooled the Nobel Committee_ is about
>>> played out on my mp3 player. Thank God! It's depressing to realize how
>>> much stupid you must internalize in order to feed at gooberment's
>>> Byzantine trough.
>>>
>>> Anyhow, _Citizen_'s appears at the number two position on your list. It
>>> was last read by me when James reviewed it about a decade ago. It's just
>>> the tonic to help me escape gooberment induced funk!
>>>
>>> And why not listen to your number one pick, _Rogue Moon_, afterward?
>>> It's been on my To Be Heard list for about a decade.
>>>
>>> Danke,
>>
>> Did you mean "Mutineer's Moon" ?  That is on my short reread list, ie,
>> my nightstand.
>
>More probably 'Rogue Moon', by Algis Budrys, in 1960.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Moon
>
>pt

Well, this is about Lynn's list, so it's almost certainly the Weber.

However, I probably should re-read the Budrys at some point..
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<20240305c@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97216&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97216

From: g@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 06:29:37 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 06:29 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
Don wrote:

<snip>

>> And why not listen to your number one pick, _Rogue Moon_, afterward?
>> It's been on my To Be Heard list for about a decade.
>
> Did you mean "Mutineer's Moon" ? That is on my short reread list, ie,
> my nightstand.

Yes. My mistake. _Mutineer's Moon_ (not _Rogue Moon_) tops your list.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.
tells tall tales.. `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.' Make 1984 fiction again.

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<usatg1$lmh9$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97250&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97250

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:16:17 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 23:16 UTC

On 3/6/2024 12:29 AM, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
> Don wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> And why not listen to your number one pick, _Rogue Moon_, afterward?
>>> It's been on my To Be Heard list for about a decade.
>>
>> Did you mean "Mutineer's Moon" ? That is on my short reread list, ie,
>> my nightstand.
>
> Yes. My mistake. _Mutineer's Moon_ (not _Rogue Moon_) tops your list.
>
> Danke,

I hope to get Mutineer's Moon read again in 2024. I last read it in
2021. I also want to reread Red Thunder by John Varley.

I am reading three books right now, the sixth Soulwood book by Faith
Hunter, the Children Of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky, and the original
Worm by Wildbow (stuck again).

Lynn

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<20240310d@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97321&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97321

From: g@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written, alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 01:47:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 01:47 UTC

Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
> https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>
> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book. I reread my
> used 1986 MMPB copy that somebody converted into a hardback. The font
> is kinda small but the after market Demco binding was solid. The book
> was first published as a hardback by Scribner in 1957. Warning, the
> story moves quickly and is very hard to put down. Good luck on getting
> a new dead tree MMPB or trade paperback as the book is out of print again.
>
> One of my top ten favorite books of all time. This book just pushes all
> my buttons: space opera, thousands of occupied planets, the free traders
> spaceships, military sf, well thought out space aliens, a rich and
> infinite universe, a likable protagonist, great mentors, good people
> making tough and good decisions, FTL spaceships, air cars, the 3,000+
> light year Terran Hegemony sphere, etc, etc, etc.
>
> The book is really three books in one: slave, trader, military. It was
> originally serialized in Astounding magazine in three issues in 1957.
> Heinlein could have easily made this book into a long series but chose
> not to. Interesting decision. For instance, did Leda and Thorby get
> married ?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_of_the_Galaxy
>
> Jo Walton's much better review is at:
> https://reactormag.com/citizengalaxy/
>
> My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,419 reviews)

"There's a time and place for everything." appears in the denouement, as
the story's fourth to last line of the story. It brings to mind Ecclesiastes.
As mentioned previously, part of my Lenten observance is to study
Ecclesiastes:

5:19 For they will hardly dwell on the shortness of life,
because God lets them busy themselves with the joy of
their heart.*

* [5:19] The joys of life, though temporary and never
assured, keep one from dwelling on the ills which afflict
humanity.

<https://bible.usccb.org/bible/ecclesiastes/5?19=#25005019>

One of the joys in my life is to read a comprehensive review after a
story's finished. Here's a deep dive dissection, a feast free for the
taking:

<https://www.heinleinsociety.org/citizen-of-the-galaxy-review/>

Although all of the reviews ignore her, anthropologist Dr Margaret
Mader's a memorable character to me. She's obviously Heinlein's
analog to Margaret Mead.

Thank you Lynn for reminding me of how highly Heinlein's esteemed.
He's earned enough esteem for an entire society to be created in his
honor.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.
tells tall tales.. `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.' Make 1984 fiction again.

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<usnbrh$3mvru$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97332&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97332

From: michael.stemper@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:34:56 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:34 UTC

On 05/03/2024 16.37, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
>    https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>
> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book.

Weren't all of Heinlein's juveniles stand-alone?

> The book is really three books in one: slave, trader, military.

The cover of my copy[1] led to a nice discussion about social justice
and inequality with my then roughly ten-year-old son.

I got a bit of whiplash with the transition from "trader" to "heir
to a major commercial combine". (Still a great story.)

>    For instance, did Leda and Thorby get married ?

It's been a long time, but my recollection is that, at the end,
she told him that their different (socio-economic) worlds meant
that they had no future together.

[1] <https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?420954>
--
Michael F. Stemper
The FAQ for rec.arts.sf.written is at

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<zSGHN.481216$PuZ9.462331@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97333&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97333

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:06:39 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:06 UTC

"Michael F. Stemper" <michael.stemper@gmail.com> writes:
>On 05/03/2024 16.37, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
>>    https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>>
>> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book.
>
>Weren't all of Heinlein's juveniles stand-alone?
>
>> The book is really three books in one: slave, trader, military.
>
>The cover of my copy[1] led to a nice discussion about social justice
>and inequality with my then roughly ten-year-old son.
>
>I got a bit of whiplash with the transition from "trader" to "heir
>to a major commercial combine". (Still a great story.)
>
>>    For instance, did Leda and Thorby get married ?
>
>It's been a long time, but my recollection is that, at the end,
>she told him that their different (socio-economic) worlds meant
>that they had no future together.

Do hospitals still record footprints for newborns?

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<20240311a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97335&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97335

From: g@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:08:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:08 UTC

Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
>>    https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>>
>> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book.
>
> Weren't all of Heinlein's juveniles stand-alone?
>
>> The book is really three books in one: slave, trader, military.
>
> The cover of my copy[1] led to a nice discussion about social justice
> and inequality with my then roughly ten-year-old son.
>
> I got a bit of whiplash with the transition from "trader" to "heir
> to a major commercial combine". (Still a great story.)
>
>>    For instance, did Leda and Thorby get married ?
>
> It's been a long time, but my recollection is that, at the end,
> she told him that their different (socio-economic) worlds meant
> that they had no future together.
>

> [1] <https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?420954>

The breakneck speed of the story's social climb, from slave to supreme
chief, can indeed induce whiplash. Heinlein atones for it with a healthy
dose of skepticism about the end of slavery. He views slavery as endemic
to humanity.

Searchable epubs bring me joy!

Leda's pride leaves a little wiggle room in marriage matters:

[Leda] said, "Thor, you know that Daddy has been throwing me
at you?"

"Huh?"

"I don’t see how you could miss it. Unless you are utterly -
but then, perhaps you are. Just take it as true. It’s one of
those obvious marriages that everyone is enthusiastic about …
except maybe the two most concerned."

Thorby forgot his worries in the face of this amazing statement
"You mean … well, uh, that you -" He trailed off.

"Heavens, dear! If I intended to go through with it, would I
have told you anything? Oh, I admit I promised, before you
arrived, to consider it. But you never warmed to the idea -
and I’m too proud to be willing under those circumstances even
if the preservation of Rudbek depended on it Now what’s this
about Daddy not letting you see the proxies that Martha and
Creighton gave him?"

During the denouement, a little later, lost in thought, Thorby thinks:

He didn’t even pick up the top item this time; he simply sat in
thought. Good girl, Leda … she had even tried to help in the
business - until it had become clear that business was not her
forte. But she was one bright spot in the gloom; she always
bucked him up. If it wasn’t patently unfair for a Guardsman to
marry - But he couldn’t be that unfair to Leda and he had no
reason to think she would be willing anyhow.

This story screams for a sequel.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.
tells tall tales.. `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.' Make 1984 fiction again.

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<usniii$3olua$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97336&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97336

From: michael.stemper@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:29:37 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:29 UTC

On 11/03/2024 13.08, Don wrote:
> Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:

>>>     For instance, did Leda and Thorby get married ?
>>
>> It's been a long time, but my recollection is that, at the end,
>> she told him that their different (socio-economic) worlds meant
>> that they had no future together.

> Searchable epubs bring me joy!
>
> Leda's pride leaves a little wiggle room in marriage matters:
>
> [Leda] said, "Thor, you know that Daddy has been throwing me
> at you?"
>
> "Huh?"
>
> "I don’t see how you could miss it. Unless you are utterly -
> but then, perhaps you are. Just take it as true. It’s one of
> those obvious marriages that everyone is enthusiastic about …
> except maybe the two most concerned."
>
> Thorby forgot his worries in the face of this amazing statement
> "You mean … well, uh, that you -" He trailed off.
>
> "Heavens, dear! If I intended to go through with it, would I
> have told you anything? Oh, I admit I promised, before you
> arrived, to consider it. But you never warmed to the idea -
> and I’m too proud to be willing under those circumstances even
> if the preservation of Rudbek depended on it Now what’s this
> about Daddy not letting you see the proxies that Martha and
> Creighton gave him?"
>
> During the denouement, a little later, lost in thought, Thorby thinks:
>
> He didn’t even pick up the top item this time; he simply sat in
> thought. Good girl, Leda … she had even tried to help in the
> business - until it had become clear that business was not her
> forte. But she was one bright spot in the gloom; she always
> bucked him up. If it wasn’t patently unfair for a Guardsman to
> marry - But he couldn’t be that unfair to Leda and he had no
> reason to think she would be willing anyhow.
I seem to have misremembered, then.

--
Michael F. Stemper
No animals were harmed in the composition of this message.

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<usnjov$pch$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97337&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97337

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:50:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:50 UTC

In article <20240311a@crcomp.net>, Don <g@crcomp.net> wrote:
>Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
>>>    https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>>>
>>> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book.
>>
>> Weren't all of Heinlein's juveniles stand-alone?
>>
>>> The book is really three books in one: slave, trader, military.
>>
>> The cover of my copy[1] led to a nice discussion about social justice
>> and inequality with my then roughly ten-year-old son.
>>
>> I got a bit of whiplash with the transition from "trader" to "heir
>> to a major commercial combine". (Still a great story.)
>>
>>>    For instance, did Leda and Thorby get married ?
>>
>> It's been a long time, but my recollection is that, at the end,
>> she told him that their different (socio-economic) worlds meant
>> that they had no future together.
>>

>> [1] <https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?420954>
>
>The breakneck speed of the story's social climb, from slave to supreme
>chief, can indeed induce whiplash. Heinlein atones for it with a healthy
>dose of skepticism about the end of slavery. He views slavery as endemic
>to humanity.
>
>Searchable epubs bring me joy!
>
>Leda's pride leaves a little wiggle room in marriage matters:
>
> [Leda] said, "Thor, you know that Daddy has been throwing me
> at you?"
>
> "Huh?"
>
> "I don’t see how you could miss it. Unless you are utterly -
> but then, perhaps you are. Just take it as true. It’s one of
> those obvious marriages that everyone is enthusiastic about …
> except maybe the two most concerned."
>
> Thorby forgot his worries in the face of this amazing statement
> "You mean … well, uh, that you -" He trailed off.
>
> "Heavens, dear! If I intended to go through with it, would I
> have told you anything? Oh, I admit I promised, before you
> arrived, to consider it. But you never warmed to the idea -
> and I’m too proud to be willing under those circumstances even
> if the preservation of Rudbek depended on it Now what’s this
> about Daddy not letting you see the proxies that Martha and
> Creighton gave him?"
>
>During the denouement, a little later, lost in thought, Thorby thinks:
>
> He didn’t even pick up the top item this time; he simply sat in
> thought. Good girl, Leda … she had even tried to help in the
> business - until it had become clear that business was not her
> forte. But she was one bright spot in the gloom; she always
> bucked him up. If it wasn’t patently unfair for a Guardsman to
> marry - But he couldn’t be that unfair to Leda and he had no
> reason to think she would be willing anyhow.
>
>This story screams for a sequel.

Thorby has a talent for being wrong about his future so if there's
one thing we know about his future it is that he walks out of the room
he is in into a chapel where he is immediately married to Leda.

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<usoiie$36o0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97349&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97349

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:35:42 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 03:35 UTC

On 3/10/2024 8:47 PM, Don wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
>> https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>>
>> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book. I reread my
>> used 1986 MMPB copy that somebody converted into a hardback. The font
>> is kinda small but the after market Demco binding was solid. The book
>> was first published as a hardback by Scribner in 1957. Warning, the
>> story moves quickly and is very hard to put down. Good luck on getting
>> a new dead tree MMPB or trade paperback as the book is out of print again.
>>
>> One of my top ten favorite books of all time. This book just pushes all
>> my buttons: space opera, thousands of occupied planets, the free traders
>> spaceships, military sf, well thought out space aliens, a rich and
>> infinite universe, a likable protagonist, great mentors, good people
>> making tough and good decisions, FTL spaceships, air cars, the 3,000+
>> light year Terran Hegemony sphere, etc, etc, etc.
>>
>> The book is really three books in one: slave, trader, military. It was
>> originally serialized in Astounding magazine in three issues in 1957.
>> Heinlein could have easily made this book into a long series but chose
>> not to. Interesting decision. For instance, did Leda and Thorby get
>> married ?
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_of_the_Galaxy
>>
>> Jo Walton's much better review is at:
>> https://reactormag.com/citizengalaxy/
>>
>> My rating: 6 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars (1,419 reviews)
>
> "There's a time and place for everything." appears in the denouement, as
> the story's fourth to last line of the story. It brings to mind Ecclesiastes.
> As mentioned previously, part of my Lenten observance is to study
> Ecclesiastes:
>
> 5:19 For they will hardly dwell on the shortness of life,
> because God lets them busy themselves with the joy of
> their heart.*

> * [5:19] The joys of life, though temporary and never
> assured, keep one from dwelling on the ills which afflict
> humanity.
>
> <https://bible.usccb.org/bible/ecclesiastes/5?19=#25005019>
>
> One of the joys in my life is to read a comprehensive review after a
> story's finished. Here's a deep dive dissection, a feast free for the
> taking:
>
> <https://www.heinleinsociety.org/citizen-of-the-galaxy-review/>
>
> Although all of the reviews ignore her, anthropologist Dr Margaret
> Mader's a memorable character to me. She's obviously Heinlein's
> analog to Margaret Mead.
>
> Thank you Lynn for reminding me of how highly Heinlein's esteemed.
> He's earned enough esteem for an entire society to be created in his
> honor.
>
> Danke,

You are welcome !

Lynn

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<usoj0d$36o0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97350&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97350

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 22:43:09 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 03:43 UTC

On 3/11/2024 11:34 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 05/03/2024 16.37, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
>>     https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>>
>> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book.
>
> Weren't all of Heinlein's juveniles stand-alone?

Grandma Hazel in "The Rolling Stones" was young Hazel in TMIAHM who was
throwing rocks at the sentry soldiers.

I don't know of any others offhand but I am sure there are more.

BTW, it is my practice in reviews to declare if a book is a standalone
or a member of series.

Lynn

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<l5a2htF3ij0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97351&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97351

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 12 Mar 2024 04:04:13 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 04:04 UTC

In article <usoj0d$36o0$2@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 3/11/2024 11:34 AM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>> On 05/03/2024 16.37, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein
>>>     https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Galaxy-Robert-Heinlein/dp/1416505520/
>>>
>>> A standalone Young Adult "juvenile" science fiction book.
>>
>> Weren't all of Heinlein's juveniles stand-alone?
>
>Grandma Hazel in "The Rolling Stones" was young Hazel in TMIAHM who was
>throwing rocks at the sentry soldiers.
>
>I don't know of any others offhand but I am sure there are more.
>
>BTW, it is my practice in reviews to declare if a book is a standalone
>or a member of series.
>
>Lynn

_Red Planet_ seems to be related to SIASL, and I think maybe _Space Cadet_.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<5v11vi10jtau4475cehhqp44sahqkq2dt6@jwbrown.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97364&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97364

From: jerry@jwbrown.co.uk.invalid (Jerry Brown)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:54:22 +0000
 by: Jerry Brown - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:54 UTC

On 12 Mar 2024 04:04:13 GMT, ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) wrote:

>In article <usoj0d$36o0$2@dont-email.me>,
>Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Weren't all of Heinlein's juveniles stand-alone?
>>
>>Grandma Hazel in "The Rolling Stones" was young Hazel in TMIAHM who was
>>throwing rocks at the sentry soldiers.
>>
>>I don't know of any others offhand but I am sure there are more.
>>
>>BTW, it is my practice in reviews to declare if a book is a standalone
>>or a member of series.
>>
>>Lynn
>>

>_Red Planet_ seems to be related to SIASL, and I think maybe _Space Cadet_.

The names "Ortega", "Horst" and "Conrad" pop up more than once in
connection with spacecraft engines across otherwise unconnected books.

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<ussgmk$10pv9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97390&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97390

From: michael.stemper@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 10:28:19 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:28 UTC

On 10/03/2024 20.47, Don wrote:

> "There's a time and place for everything." appears in the denouement, as
> the story's fourth to last line of the story. It brings to mind Ecclesiastes.
> As mentioned previously, part of my Lenten observance is to study
> Ecclesiastes:
>
> 5:19 For they will hardly dwell on the shortness of life,
> because God lets them busy themselves with the joy of

Wouldn't Ec 3:1 be a closer match to that line?

For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven

--
Michael F. Stemper
This sentence no verb.

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<l5e04vFm1luU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97391&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97391

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: 13 Mar 2024 15:47:43 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:47 UTC

In article <ussgmk$10pv9$1@dont-email.me>,
Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 10/03/2024 20.47, Don wrote:
>
>> "There's a time and place for everything." appears in the denouement, as
>> the story's fourth to last line of the story. It brings to mind Ecclesiastes.
>> As mentioned previously, part of my Lenten observance is to study
>> Ecclesiastes:
>>
>> 5:19 For they will hardly dwell on the shortness of life,
>> because God lets them busy themselves with the joy of
>
>Wouldn't Ec 3:1 be a closer match to that line?
>
> For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven

Best stated in Byrds 3:34
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Citizen of the Galaxy" by Robert A. Heinlein

<20240313a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97397&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97397

From: g@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:47:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:47 UTC

Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> Don wrote:
>
>> "There's a time and place for everything." appears in the denouement, as
>> the story's fourth to last line of the story. It brings to mind Ecclesiastes.
>> As mentioned previously, part of my Lenten observance is to study
>> Ecclesiastes:
>>
>> 5:19 For they will hardly dwell on the shortness of life,
>> because God lets them busy themselves with the joy of
>
> Wouldn't Ec 3:1 be a closer match to that line?
>
> For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven

Yes indeed, Ec 3:1 is a more meaningful match. Ec 5:19 is presented as
an add-on, an antithesis, a tonic to this:

Our national pastime isn't baseball. It's what the Bible calls
"condemning the world." We generally enjoy pronouncing curses
upon those whom we see as trouble, wrong, or evil. Don't
believe me? Listen to almost any podcast, cable news network,
or social media platform to hear it. It will be some version
of: "We all agree that if they are eradicated, things will be
great." Condemning is almost always clothed in virtue. It
basks in its good intentions. That's why it is so attractive.
Condemning seems like our best path to saving what is good.

What a shock, then, to hear Jesus announce: "For God did not
send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that
the world might be saved through him" (Jn 3:17). He comes to
save the world, as we all want, but he will accomplish it
without an act of condemnation. How hard it is to accept this!
Condemning feels godlike. I judge who and what must be lost
to protect the good. But in the light of Jesus' endless mercy
and love, this is the least godlike thing we can do.

Lenten challenge: This week, I invite you to give up the
delicious experience of condemning whomever in the world
you most would like to see gone. Perhaps write down their
names. Secondly, I invite you to consider fasting from any
media that feeds the tasty but deadly tendency to condemn.

- Father John Muir

Danke,