From: kjrobinson@mail.com (Kevrob)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Need help finding an old post
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 03:50:47 -0400
 by: Kevrob - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 07:50 UTC

I've been trying to find a post I made in soc.history.what-if using
usenetarchives.com and having no luck. It was a parody of a _Comics
Journal_ review of a comic strip collection, that I entitled
"Understanding Steve Sterling" and "Understanding Steve Stirling."
One was part of a longer thread. The other was a repost. Early in
the current century.

I believe I posted it in soc.history.what-if. I would have used my
old, defunct <kevrob@my-deja.com> address as the sending e-mail.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Kevin R

www.avg.com

Re: Need help finding an old post

<0001HW.2BA4C3090067201E70000DC0138F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97455&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97455

From: dalton@nfld.com (David Dalton)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Need help finding an old post
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 15:25:21 -0230
 by: David Dalton - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 17:55 UTC

On Mar 15, 2024, Kevrob wrote
(in article <ut0uko$25ubs$1@dont-email.me>):

> I've been trying to find a post I made in soc.history.what-if using
> usenetarchives.com and having no luck. It was a parody of a _Comics
> Journal_ review of a comic strip collection, that I entitled
> "Understanding Steve Sterling" and "Understanding Steve Stirling."
> One was part of a longer thread. The other was a repost. Early in
> the current century.
>
> I believe I posted it in soc.history.what-if. I would have used my
> old, defunct <kevrob@my-deja.com> address as the sending e-mail.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Google Groups appears to have banned the group.

https://soc.history.what-if.narkive.com/
has posts going back 21 years, but I don’t see
how to do a search on that site.

--
David Dalton dalton@nfld.com https://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill;

Re: Need help finding an old post

<20240315a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97456&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97456

From: g@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:17:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 18:17 UTC

David Dalton wrote:
> Kevrob wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to find a post I made in soc.history.what-if using
>> usenetarchives.com and having no luck. It was a parody of a _Comics
>> Journal_ review of a comic strip collection, that I entitled
>> "Understanding Steve Sterling" and "Understanding Steve Stirling."
>> One was part of a longer thread. The other was a repost. Early in
>> the current century.
>>
>> I believe I posted it in soc.history.what-if. I would have used my
>> old, defunct <kevrob@my-deja.com> address as the sending e-mail.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Google Groups appears to have banned the group.
>
> https://soc.history.what-if.narkive.com/
> has posts going back 21 years, but I don’t see
> how to do a search on that site.

Re-post of pertinent procedures:

Narkive is a web based usenet archive:

<https://rec.arts.sf.written.narkive.com/>

Use:

site:rec.arts.sf.written.narkive.com

to search it with your favorite engine, like so:

<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=perry+rhodan+site:rec.arts.sf.written.narkive.com>

A cursory glance indicates this site seems comprehensive, in both
breadth and length, so to speak.

<https://usenetarchives.com/threads.php?id=news.software.nntp&y=0&r=0&p=1>

But you must bring your own search engine, because it offers no search
functionality.

###

Further inspection indicates the 1988 dates on news.software.nntp may be
an outlier. A spot check of a few other groups shows earliest dates in
the mid-1990s. Also, the archive's latest dates tend torwards April
30 2022. And, the quantity of articles archived for each group seems
low.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: Need help finding an old post

<ut5q2n$3b9o4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97481&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97481

From: kjrobinson@mail.com (Kevrob)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 00:03:32 -0400
 by: Kevrob - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 04:03 UTC

On 3/15/2024 2:17 PM, Don wrote:
> David Dalton wrote:
>> Kevrob wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to find a post I made in soc.history.what-if using
>>> usenetarchives.com and having no luck. It was a parody of a _Comics
>>> Journal_ review of a comic strip collection, that I entitled
>>> "Understanding Steve Sterling" and "Understanding Steve Stirling."
>>> One was part of a longer thread. The other was a repost. Early in
>>> the current century.
>>>
>>> I believe I posted it in soc.history.what-if. I would have used my
>>> old, defunct <kevrob@my-deja.com> address as the sending e-mail.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Google Groups appears to have banned the group.
>>
>> https://soc.history.what-if.narkive.com/
>> has posts going back 21 years, but I don’t see
>> how to do a search on that site.
>
> Re-post of pertinent procedures:

> Narkive is a web based usenet archive:
>
> <https://rec.arts.sf.written.narkive.com/>
>
> Use:
>
> site:rec.arts.sf.written.narkive.com
>
> to search it with your favorite engine, like so:
>
> <https://duckduckgo.com/?q=perry+rhodan+site:rec.arts.sf.written.narkive.com>

> A cursory glance indicates this site seems comprehensive, in both
> breadth and length, so to speak.
>
> <https://usenetarchives.com/threads.php?id=news.software.nntp&y=0&r=0&p=1>
>
> But you must bring your own search engine, because it offers no search
> functionality.
>
> ###
>
> Further inspection indicates the 1988 dates on news.software.nntp may be
> an outlier. A spot check of a few other groups shows earliest dates in
> the mid-1990s. Also, the archive's latest dates tend torwards April
> 30 2022. And, the quantity of articles archived for each group seems
> low.

> Danke,

Thanks, Don. I've tried Narkive, but search terms I've used haven't
generated the particular post.

--
Kevin R

www.avg.com