From: rja.carnegie@gmail.com (Robert Carnegie)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Dune 2
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 22:32:21 +0000
 by: Robert Carnegie - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 22:32 UTC

On 07/03/2024 16:35, Paul S Person wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2024 23:54:48 -0000, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> In article <86sf1357cv.fsf@building-m.net>,
>> John <john@building-m.simplistic-anti-spam-measure.net> wrote:

>>> I know, I was making fun of you for complaining about a movie whose
>>> existence you consider so bad that you daren't speak its name... like
>>> what are we supposed to take from that? What's it add to this
>>> discussion? In short, who gives a shit?
>>
>> I have no idea what this film is but, really, can it be any worse than
>> another Ghostbusters film? Can anything be any worse than another Ghostbusters
>> film?
>
> There are a lot of ... imaginative ... filmmakers out there.
>
> Be careful what you wish for! Or even ask about!

<https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20240305-sydney-sweeney-new-rom-com-era-golden-age>
Is a recent feature that is probably praising
_Anyone But You_ as a new achievement in
"mediocre romcom". I think.

Re: Dune 2

<usleon$373ft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97316&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97316

From: usenet@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:12:24 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: mike@Mike-Laptop.localdomain (Mike-Laptop)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:12 UTC

In article <uscmfk$1422v$2@dont-email.me>,
Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>The director definitely want to do Dune Messiah.
>
>But after that, who knows. Things get weird with
>half-worm half human rulers, and gholas.

I liked Dune Messiah. Children of Dune, however...
in the memorable words of old time usenetter Brett
Jolly (Trolly? I forget...) "My willing suspension
of disbelief chewed a hole in the back of my skull
to escape, and fled shrieking into the night."

That's the last Dune I ever read. God-Emperor of
Dune, as near as I could tell, was everything I
hated about Children of Dune to the fourth power.

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane

Re: Dune 2

<l579g7Fl3rmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97322&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97322

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: 11 Mar 2024 02:44:23 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 02:44 UTC

In article <usleon$373ft$1@dont-email.me>,
Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:
>In article <uscmfk$1422v$2@dont-email.me>,
>Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>>The director definitely want to do Dune Messiah.
>>
>>But after that, who knows. Things get weird with
>>half-worm half human rulers, and gholas.
>
>I liked Dune Messiah. Children of Dune, however...
>in the memorable words of old time usenetter Brett
>Jolly (Trolly? I forget...) "My willing suspension
>of disbelief chewed a hole in the back of my skull
>to escape, and fled shrieking into the night."
>
>That's the last Dune I ever read. God-Emperor of
>Dune, as near as I could tell, was everything I
>hated about Children of Dune to the fourth power.

OTOH, I hated DM, and rather liked COD & GEOD, although apparently
not sufficiently to follow things after that.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: Dune 2

<usm36n$3eino$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97323&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97323

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 00:01:10 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 05:01 UTC

On 3/6/2024 12:04 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Perhaps a bit off-topic for .written, but I went to see
> Dune 2 last weekend. I quite enjoyed it (orders of magnitude
> better than the the 1984 version with Sting, and better than
> the 2000 miniseries).
>
> It was an adept telling of the second half of the first novel,
> terminating with the emperor kneeling to Muad'dib.
>
> The best part was Paul's first worm-ride (done as a practical
> effect rather than visual magic), but the rest of the film
> (aside the modern cinemetographic tendancy to poor contrast
> and lighting - not as bad as the first film, but still)
> was excellent.
>
> The only sour note was during the previews before the film,
> one of which I think should not have been made in this time
> and place, and which I hope bombs at the box office when it
> premiers.

My 85 year old dad and I enjoyed the movie very much. We are looking
forward to Part III. We enjoyed Part I also.

Thank you !

Lynn

Re: Dune 2

<usnq7b$3qdb9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97340&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97340

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:40:10 -0400
 by: Tony Nance - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 20:40 UTC

On 3/10/24 10:44 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <usleon$373ft$1@dont-email.me>,
> Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:
>> In article <uscmfk$1422v$2@dont-email.me>,
>> Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The director definitely want to do Dune Messiah.
>>>
>>> But after that, who knows. Things get weird with
>>> half-worm half human rulers, and gholas.
>>
>> I liked Dune Messiah. Children of Dune, however...
>> in the memorable words of old time usenetter Brett
>> Jolly (Trolly? I forget...) "My willing suspension
>> of disbelief chewed a hole in the back of my skull
>> to escape, and fled shrieking into the night."
>>
>> That's the last Dune I ever read. God-Emperor of
>> Dune, as near as I could tell, was everything I
>> hated about Children of Dune to the fourth power.
>>

> OTOH, I hated DM, and rather liked COD & GEOD, although apparently
> not sufficiently to follow things after that.

In my very humble opinion, you didn't miss much. A million years ago
here in rasfw, I mentioned Heretics of Dune (aka My Own Private Duncan
Idaho) as the worst SFF "turkey" I had finished reading. For the life of
me, I don't know why I then went on to read Chapterhouse: Dune, but I
did, and it was not much better. At this remove, I don't remember a
whole lot of either one - my sense is that they weren't "throw at the
wall" bad, but they were really disappointing.

Tony

Re: Dune 2

<t3v0vi12g7hcjkdbnn96ju0megvjgfpt49@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97361&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97361

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 09:04:06 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 16:04 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:40:10 -0400, Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 3/10/24 10:44 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> In article <usleon$373ft$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:

>>> I liked Dune Messiah. Children of Dune, however...
>>> in the memorable words of old time usenetter Brett
>>> Jolly (Trolly? I forget...) "My willing suspension
>>> of disbelief chewed a hole in the back of my skull
>>> to escape, and fled shrieking into the night."
>>>
>>> That's the last Dune I ever read. God-Emperor of
>>> Dune, as near as I could tell, was everything I
>>> hated about Children of Dune to the fourth power.
>>>

>> OTOH, I hated DM, and rather liked COD & GEOD, although apparently
>> not sufficiently to follow things after that.
>
>In my very humble opinion, you didn't miss much. A million years ago
>here in rasfw, I mentioned Heretics of Dune (aka My Own Private Duncan
>Idaho) as the worst SFF "turkey" I had finished reading. For the life of
>me, I don't know why I then went on to read Chapterhouse: Dune, but I
>did, and it was not much better. At this remove, I don't remember a
>whole lot of either one - my sense is that they weren't "throw at the
>wall" bad, but they were really disappointing.

That's a good summary.

IIRC, they were written after the State of Washington found that it
had, residing within its borders, an author who had made an awful lot
of money and had paid nothing to the State in business taxes.

IOW, they were written (IIRC) to pay the tax bill.

I skipped the posthumous continuation altogether.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: Dune 2

<80eevi9deb1r3sif3c515cnkrp9dtf6e3g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97490&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97490

From: lcraver@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 11:36:30 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 18:36 UTC

wrote:

>In my very humble opinion, you didn't miss much. A million years ago
>here in rasfw, I mentioned Heretics of Dune (aka My Own Private Duncan
>Idaho) as the worst SFF "turkey" I had finished reading. For the life of
>me, I don't know why I then went on to read Chapterhouse: Dune, but I
>did, and it was not much better. At this remove, I don't remember a
>whole lot of either one - my sense is that they weren't "throw at the
>wall" bad, but they were really disappointing.

Is that one of those "Dune" books written by Herbert's son and a ghost
writer?

Re: Dune 2

<ut7es5$lhj$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97492&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97492

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: 17 Mar 2024 19:04:37 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 19:04 UTC

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:40:10 -0400, Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I don't know why I then went on to read Chapterhouse: Dune, but I
>>did, and it was not much better. At this remove, I don't remember a
>>whole lot of either one - my sense is that they weren't "throw at the
>>wall" bad, but they were really disappointing.
>>
>Is that one of those "Dune" books written by Herbert's son and a ghost
>writer?

It claims to have been written by Frank Herbert. I would have hoped a
ghost writer would have done better.
--scott

Re: Dune 2

<ut7gso$3mffh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97495&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97495

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 15:39:04 -0400
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 17 Mar 2024 19:39 UTC

On 3/17/24 2:36 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:40:10 -0400, Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> In my very humble opinion, you didn't miss much. A million years ago
>> here in rasfw, I mentioned Heretics of Dune (aka My Own Private Duncan
>> Idaho) as the worst SFF "turkey" I had finished reading. For the life of
>> me, I don't know why I then went on to read Chapterhouse: Dune, but I
>> did, and it was not much better. At this remove, I don't remember a
>> whole lot of either one - my sense is that they weren't "throw at the
>> wall" bad, but they were really disappointing.
>>
> Is that one of those "Dune" books written by Herbert's son and a ghost
> writer?

No - Or at least, Frank Herbert passed away in 1986, and Heretics of
Dune & Chapterhouse: Dune were published in 1984 & 1985 respectively.
Chapterhouse was the last Dune novel I ever read - and it is very likely
to remain so.

Tony

Re: Dune 2

<ut88g3$3rf4a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97496&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97496

From: usenet@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 02:21:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 02:21 UTC

In article <ut7es5$lhj$1@panix2.panix.com>,
Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>>On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:40:10 -0400, Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know why I then went on to read Chapterhouse: Dune, but I
>>>did, and it was not much better. At this remove, I don't remember a
>>>whole lot of either one - my sense is that they weren't "throw at the
>>>wall" bad, but they were really disappointing.
>>>
>>Is that one of those "Dune" books written by Herbert's son and a ghost
>>writer?
>
>It claims to have been written by Frank Herbert. I would have hoped a
>ghost writer would have done better.

When Chapterhouse: Dune was released, the San Francisco station
KGO had Frank Herbert as a guest on Jim Eason's program. Herbert
was promoting the book there, mixed with general interview stuff
with the host. At one time getting into a pun competition.

"What's next, Gunga Dune?"
"Lorna Dune."
"Briga Dune."
"Dune What Comes Naturally"

With that final one by Herbert, Eason gave up the title of punmaster.

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston

Re: Dune 2

<6ungvit82vm2gs523fukllcand2lq7luqa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97500&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97500

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 08:40:22 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Mon, 18 Mar 2024 15:40 UTC

On Sun, 17 Mar 2024 15:39:04 -0400, Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 3/17/24 2:36 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:40:10 -0400, Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In my very humble opinion, you didn't miss much. A million years ago
>>> here in rasfw, I mentioned Heretics of Dune (aka My Own Private Duncan
>>> Idaho) as the worst SFF "turkey" I had finished reading. For the life of
>>> me, I don't know why I then went on to read Chapterhouse: Dune, but I
>>> did, and it was not much better. At this remove, I don't remember a
>>> whole lot of either one - my sense is that they weren't "throw at the
>>> wall" bad, but they were really disappointing.
>>>
>> Is that one of those "Dune" books written by Herbert's son and a ghost
>> writer?
>
>No - Or at least, Frank Herbert passed away in 1986, and Heretics of
>Dune & Chapterhouse: Dune were published in 1984 & 1985 respectively.
>Chapterhouse was the last Dune novel I ever read - and it is very likely
>to remain so.

I would have liked to learn more about the Honored Matres, but my
general policy is to /not/ continue with series once the auther ceases
to be the author. Co-author or new author, it generally not matter.

There are exceptions: James Bond, one Holmes, finished novels
published after the author died (quite a few for PK Dick, since he
couldn't get anyone to publish them while he was alive).