A grammarian's life is always in tense.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / SF settings of Homer?

SubjectAuthor
* SF settings of Homer?ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
+* Re: SF settings of Homer?Lynn McGuire
|`* Re: SF settings of Homer?ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
| `- Re: SF settings of Homer?Lynn McGuire
+* Re: SF settings of Homer?Robert Woodward
|`- Re: SF settings of Homer?ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
+* Re: SF settings of Homer?Michael F. Stemper
|`- Re: SF settings of Homer?ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
`- Re: SF settings of Homer?Robert Carnegie

1
SF settings of Homer?

<l5v6gjFagrcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97535&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97535

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: SF settings of Homer?
Date: 20 Mar 2024 04:20:35 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 04:20 UTC

I just mentioned in another thread Lafferty's _Space Chantey_ which is an
SF setting of Homer's Odyssey, and that brought to mind the late Brian M.
Stableford's "Dies Irae" series, which was a setting of, hmm, I forget
exactly, but either "The Illiad", "The Odyssey" or maybe both.

Are there others? I mean there are many "Lots of people go to war" or
"Man tries to get home" stories, but are there more directly inspired
by Homer? Just as a first cut it seems I can think of more inspired
by Xenophon.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: SF settings of Homer?

<utdpbm$1aess$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97536&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97536

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: SF settings of Homer?
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 23:40:21 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 04:40 UTC

On 3/19/2024 11:20 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> I just mentioned in another thread Lafferty's _Space Chantey_ which is an
> SF setting of Homer's Odyssey, and that brought to mind the late Brian M.
> Stableford's "Dies Irae" series, which was a setting of, hmm, I forget
> exactly, but either "The Illiad", "The Odyssey" or maybe both.
>
> Are there others? I mean there are many "Lots of people go to war" or
> "Man tries to get home" stories, but are there more directly inspired
> by Homer? Just as a first cut it seems I can think of more inspired
> by Xenophon.

"Illium" by Dan Simmons
https://www.amazon.com/Ilium-Dan-Simmons/dp/0380817926/

Here is my December 26, 2023 review published here:

"Book number one of a two book science fiction series. I read the well
printed and well bound MMPB published by Harper Torch in 2005 that I
bought new on Amazon. I have ordered book number two, "Olympos"."

"The far distant future is a total mess. Many thousands of years from
now, technology has run amuck with resurrected Allosauruses and Terror
Birds roaming the Earth. There are less than a million humans living on
Earth and they are pampered and spoiled by robot servitors. Every twenty
years, the humans are teleported up to the Firmary in orbit around Earth
for a two day checkup. On their hundredth year, they do not come back."

"Humanity has forked and the Posthumans live on a Terraformed Mars with
hundreds of thousands of regular humans unknowingly re-enacting The
Trojan War for their entertainment. The Posthumans call themselves Zeus,
Hera, Apollo, Aphrodite, and such."

"My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (2,054 reviews)"

Lynn

Re: SF settings of Homer?

<robertaw-CB388A.21585019032024@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97537&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97537

From: robertaw@drizzle.com (Robert Woodward)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 21:58:50 -0700
 by: Robert Woodward - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 04:58 UTC

In article <l5v6gjFagrcU1@mid.individual.net>,
ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

> I just mentioned in another thread Lafferty's _Space Chantey_ which is an
> SF setting of Homer's Odyssey, and that brought to mind the late Brian M.
> Stableford's "Dies Irae" series, which was a setting of, hmm, I forget
> exactly, but either "The Illiad", "The Odyssey" or maybe both.
>
> Are there others? I mean there are many "Lots of people go to war" or
> "Man tries to get home" stories, but are there more directly inspired
> by Homer? Just as a first cut it seems I can think of more inspired
> by Xenophon.

_Cross the Stars_ by David Drake is an Odyssey takeoff (in the Hammer's
Slammers universe, Alois Hammer appears in one scene playing Zeus). BTW,
there was a sequel, _The Voyage_, that was an SF take on the Argonauts.

�-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Re: SF settings of Homer?

<l602l6Fel1vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97539&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97539

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 20 Mar 2024 12:20:54 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 12:20 UTC

In article <utdpbm$1aess$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 3/19/2024 11:20 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> I just mentioned in another thread Lafferty's _Space Chantey_ which is an
>> SF setting of Homer's Odyssey, and that brought to mind the late Brian M.
>> Stableford's "Dies Irae" series, which was a setting of, hmm, I forget
>> exactly, but either "The Illiad", "The Odyssey" or maybe both.
>>
>> Are there others? I mean there are many "Lots of people go to war" or
>> "Man tries to get home" stories, but are there more directly inspired
>> by Homer? Just as a first cut it seems I can think of more inspired
>> by Xenophon.
>
>"Illium" by Dan Simmons
> https://www.amazon.com/Ilium-Dan-Simmons/dp/0380817926/
>
>Here is my December 26, 2023 review published here:
>
>"Book number one of a two book science fiction series. I read the well
>printed and well bound MMPB published by Harper Torch in 2005 that I
>bought new on Amazon. I have ordered book number two, "Olympos"."
>
>"The far distant future is a total mess. Many thousands of years from
>now, technology has run amuck with resurrected Allosauruses and Terror
>Birds roaming the Earth. There are less than a million humans living on
>Earth and they are pampered and spoiled by robot servitors. Every twenty
>years, the humans are teleported up to the Firmary in orbit around Earth
>for a two day checkup. On their hundredth year, they do not come back."
>
>"Humanity has forked and the Posthumans live on a Terraformed Mars with
>hundreds of thousands of regular humans unknowingly re-enacting The
>Trojan War for their entertainment. The Posthumans call themselves Zeus,
>Hera, Apollo, Aphrodite, and such."
>
>"My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
>Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (2,054 reviews)"
>
>Lynn

Thanks, I've not read any Simmons. I should probably start with the
Hyperion books, but I'll try to keep this in mind.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: SF settings of Homer?

<l602m4Fel1vU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97540&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97540

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 20 Mar 2024 12:21:24 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 12:21 UTC

In article <robertaw-CB388A.21585019032024@news.individual.net>,
Robert Woodward <robertaw@drizzle.com> wrote:
>In article <l5v6gjFagrcU1@mid.individual.net>,
> ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:
>
>> I just mentioned in another thread Lafferty's _Space Chantey_ which is an
>> SF setting of Homer's Odyssey, and that brought to mind the late Brian M.
>> Stableford's "Dies Irae" series, which was a setting of, hmm, I forget
>> exactly, but either "The Illiad", "The Odyssey" or maybe both.
>>
>> Are there others? I mean there are many "Lots of people go to war" or
>> "Man tries to get home" stories, but are there more directly inspired
>> by Homer? Just as a first cut it seems I can think of more inspired
>> by Xenophon.
>
>_Cross the Stars_ by David Drake is an Odyssey takeoff (in the Hammer's
>Slammers universe, Alois Hammer appears in one scene playing Zeus). BTW,
>there was a sequel, _The Voyage_, that was an SF take on the Argonauts.
>
>--
>"We have advanced to new and surprising levels of bafflement."
>Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan describes progress in _Komarr_.
>�-----------------------------------------------------
>Robert Woodward robertaw@drizzle.com

Ah, I generally like Drake, hopefully I'll get to this!
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: SF settings of Homer?

<uteo9l$1glt1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97541&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97541

From: michael.stemper@gmail.com (Michael F. Stemper)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 08:28:20 -0500
 by: Michael F. Stemper - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:28 UTC

On 19/03/2024 23.20, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> I just mentioned in another thread Lafferty's _Space Chantey_ which is an
> SF setting of Homer's Odyssey, and that brought to mind the late Brian M.
> Stableford's "Dies Irae" series, which was a setting of, hmm, I forget
> exactly, but either "The Illiad", "The Odyssey" or maybe both.
>
> Are there others? I mean there are many "Lots of people go to war" or
> "Man tries to get home" stories, but are there more directly inspired
> by Homer? Just as a first cut it seems I can think of more inspired
> by Xenophon.

I'm not sure, as it's been twenty years since I last read it, but I think
that Laumer's _Galactic Odyssey_ is based on the appropriate bit of Homer.

<https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?2989>
--
Michael F. Stemper
Galatians 3:28

Re: SF settings of Homer?

<l606qiFfa15U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97542&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97542

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 20 Mar 2024 13:32:02 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:32 UTC

In article <uteo9l$1glt1$1@dont-email.me>,
Michael F. Stemper <michael.stemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 19/03/2024 23.20, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> I just mentioned in another thread Lafferty's _Space Chantey_ which is an
>> SF setting of Homer's Odyssey, and that brought to mind the late Brian M.
>> Stableford's "Dies Irae" series, which was a setting of, hmm, I forget
>> exactly, but either "The Illiad", "The Odyssey" or maybe both.
>>
>> Are there others? I mean there are many "Lots of people go to war" or
>> "Man tries to get home" stories, but are there more directly inspired
>> by Homer? Just as a first cut it seems I can think of more inspired
>> by Xenophon.
>
>I'm not sure, as it's been twenty years since I last read it, but I think
>that Laumer's _Galactic Odyssey_ is based on the appropriate bit of Homer.
>
><https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?2989>
>--

Thanks! I suspect I read that one, but I'm getting no pings at all
from my memory.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: SF settings of Homer?

<utfc1j$1le7q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97547&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97547

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 14:05:22 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 19:05 UTC

On 3/20/2024 7:20 AM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> In article <utdpbm$1aess$1@dont-email.me>,
> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3/19/2024 11:20 PM, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>>> I just mentioned in another thread Lafferty's _Space Chantey_ which is an
>>> SF setting of Homer's Odyssey, and that brought to mind the late Brian M.
>>> Stableford's "Dies Irae" series, which was a setting of, hmm, I forget
>>> exactly, but either "The Illiad", "The Odyssey" or maybe both.
>>>
>>> Are there others? I mean there are many "Lots of people go to war" or
>>> "Man tries to get home" stories, but are there more directly inspired
>>> by Homer? Just as a first cut it seems I can think of more inspired
>>> by Xenophon.
>>
>> "Illium" by Dan Simmons
>> https://www.amazon.com/Ilium-Dan-Simmons/dp/0380817926/
>>
>> Here is my December 26, 2023 review published here:
>>
>> "Book number one of a two book science fiction series. I read the well
>> printed and well bound MMPB published by Harper Torch in 2005 that I
>> bought new on Amazon. I have ordered book number two, "Olympos"."
>>
>> "The far distant future is a total mess. Many thousands of years from
>> now, technology has run amuck with resurrected Allosauruses and Terror
>> Birds roaming the Earth. There are less than a million humans living on
>> Earth and they are pampered and spoiled by robot servitors. Every twenty
>> years, the humans are teleported up to the Firmary in orbit around Earth
>> for a two day checkup. On their hundredth year, they do not come back."
>>
>> "Humanity has forked and the Posthumans live on a Terraformed Mars with
>> hundreds of thousands of regular humans unknowingly re-enacting The
>> Trojan War for their entertainment. The Posthumans call themselves Zeus,
>> Hera, Apollo, Aphrodite, and such."
>>
>> "My rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
>> Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars (2,054 reviews)"
>>
>> Lynn
>>

> Thanks, I've not read any Simmons. I should probably start with the
> Hyperion books, but I'll try to keep this in mind.

All of the Dan Simmons books that I have read to date are somewhat of
slogs but, good slogs.

Lynn

Re: SF settings of Homer?

<utjnnb$2sdbm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97579&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97579

From: rja.carnegie@gmail.com (Robert Carnegie)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 10:49:15 +0000
 by: Robert Carnegie - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 10:49 UTC

<https://www.sfpoetry.com/rhysling.html>

"The Rhysling Awards are named for the blind
poet Rhysling in Robert A. Heinlein's short
story 'The Green Hills of Earth'. Rhysling's
skills were said to rival Rudyard Kipling's."