The moon is a planet just like the Earth, only it is even deader.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the Earth

SubjectAuthor
* Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the EarthTony Nance
+* Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the EarthScott Dorsey
|+- Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the EarthTony Nance
|`- Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the EarthPaul S Person
+* Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the EarthJerry Brown
|`- Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the EarthTony Nance
`- Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the EarthJohn Savard

1
Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the Earth

<utn8v6$3q2q4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97614&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97614

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the Earth
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:01:57 -0400
 by: Tony Nance - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 19:01 UTC

Earlier this week I mentioned here that I'd picked up an interesting Tor
edition of Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth[1], and I was
about to start reading it.

Update: I lasted less than one page, when that page featured characters
I'd never heard of: Who the heck are Professor Hardwigg and his nephew
Harry? What happened to Professor Lidenbrock and his nephew Axel?

So, off to the internet, down a rabbit hole, add in a chance visit to a
book store and here's a quick summary:

It turns out, in academic vernacular, many translations of Verne's works
suck; and Tor used one of the sucky ones for its edition.

Quoting a Verne scholar and translator:
"... Journey to the Centre of the Earth[2] has been translated more than
ten times, ... The best-known version is the atrocious 1872 one which
rebaptizes Axel as Harry and Lidenbrock as Hardwigg, makes them both
Scottish, and finishes each paragraph with at least one totally invented
sentence. ..."

Aha.

So as a youth, however many times I read it, I somehow avoided the sucky
translation mentioned above. Yay me.

A chance visit to a book store turned up a more-faithful Lidenbrock/Axel
translation[3], which also includes a bunch of other additional info,
and I have enjoyed the first 38 pages.

Tony
[1] Yes, "Center"
[2] Yes, "Centre"
[3] This one a "Centre"

Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the Earth

<utndsh$3id$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97617&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97617

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 23 Mar 2024 20:25:53 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 20:25 UTC

Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> wrote:
>ten times, ... The best-known version is the atrocious 1872 one which
>rebaptizes Axel as Harry and Lidenbrock as Hardwigg, makes them both
>Scottish, and finishes each paragraph with at least one totally invented
>sentence. ..."
>
>Aha.
>
>So as a youth, however many times I read it, I somehow avoided the sucky
>translation mentioned above. Yay me.

That is in fact the version I read as a child, and the thing I most
starkly remember is that it is the first time I had ever seen ligatures
in printing.
--scott

Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the Earth

<42kvvip706pfovsactn2kf83ml0u1n3vjd@jwbrown.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97620&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97620

From: jerry@jwbrown.co.uk.invalid (Jerry Brown)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 07:05:17 +0000
 by: Jerry Brown - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 07:05 UTC

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:01:57 -0400, Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Earlier this week I mentioned here that I'd picked up an interesting Tor
>edition of Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth[1], and I was
>about to start reading it.
>
>Update: I lasted less than one page, when that page featured characters
>I'd never heard of: Who the heck are Professor Hardwigg and his nephew
>Harry? What happened to Professor Lidenbrock and his nephew Axel?

In my teens I picked this edition up at a second hand bookshop...

and returned it a couple of days later, for the same reason.

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the Earth

<utp64s$btir$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97625&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97625

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 08:26:04 -0400
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 12:26 UTC

On 3/23/24 4:25 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ten times, ... The best-known version is the atrocious 1872 one which
>> rebaptizes Axel as Harry and Lidenbrock as Hardwigg, makes them both
>> Scottish, and finishes each paragraph with at least one totally invented
>> sentence. ..."
>>
>> Aha.
>>
>> So as a youth, however many times I read it, I somehow avoided the sucky
>> translation mentioned above. Yay me.
>
> That is in fact the version I read as a child, and the thing I most
> starkly remember is that it is the first time I had ever seen ligatures
> in printing.
> --scott

Interesting - in two ways, in fact:
1) My edition of the "atrocious" translation (Harry/Hardwigg) doesn't
have any ligatures at all. Anywhere.

2) It's possible that the edition I read as a youth would have been my
first exposure to ligatures in print. Either that, or the Greek
mythology book that I checked out a zillion times from the school library.

Tony

Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the Earth

<utp67t$btir$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97626&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97626

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 08:27:40 -0400
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 12:27 UTC

On 3/24/24 3:05 AM, Jerry Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:01:57 -0400, Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Earlier this week I mentioned here that I'd picked up an interesting Tor
>> edition of Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth[1], and I was
>> about to start reading it.
>>
>> Update: I lasted less than one page, when that page featured characters
>> I'd never heard of: Who the heck are Professor Hardwigg and his nephew
>> Harry? What happened to Professor Lidenbrock and his nephew Axel?
>
> In my teens I picked this edition up at a second hand bookshop...
>
> and returned it a couple of days later, for the same reason.

Yeah - I guess if I'd read that edition first, I wouldn't have known any
better (at the time), but now I also wonder if I would have liked the
book as much.

Tony

Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the Earth

<53i00j9p6u5s0t6nar7p6bj8sh7970bgf7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97632&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97632

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 08:44:27 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 15:44 UTC

On 23 Mar 2024 20:25:53 -0000, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>Tony Nance <tnusenet17@gmail.com> wrote:
>>ten times, ... The best-known version is the atrocious 1872 one which
>>rebaptizes Axel as Harry and Lidenbrock as Hardwigg, makes them both
>>Scottish, and finishes each paragraph with at least one totally invented
>>sentence. ..."
>>
>>Aha.
>>
>>So as a youth, however many times I read it, I somehow avoided the sucky
>>translation mentioned above. Yay me.
>
>That is in fact the version I read as a child, and the thing I most
>starkly remember is that it is the first time I had ever seen ligatures
>in printing.

If these are them <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligature_(writing)>,
I can remember when English teachers screamed when they weren't used,
as in, say, "encyclopedia" (where the second "e" should be, in some
English teacher sense, "ae" in ligature form).

But then, they also screamed when HTML didn't insert a second space
after stops.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: Update on Verne's Journey to the Center/Centre of the Earth

<qvt20jpguv3ee6a465pmia182j42v8mk7j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97662&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97662

From: quadibloc@servername.invalid (John Savard)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 07:13:43 -0600
 by: John Savard - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 13:13 UTC

wrote:

>Quoting a Verne scholar and translator:
>"... Journey to the Centre of the Earth[2] has been translated more than
>ten times, ... The best-known version is the atrocious 1872 one which
>rebaptizes Axel as Harry and Lidenbrock as Hardwigg, makes them both
>Scottish, and finishes each paragraph with at least one totally invented
>sentence. ..."

It's surprising you were lucky enough to encounter one of the good
translations first, as that "bes-known version" is nearly ubiquitous,
particularly as it's the only one in the public domain.

But in an *accurate* translation, we learn the narrator's father, who
accompanies him underground, is an anti-Semite, which today tends to
make us root for the first dinosaur that wants to gobble him up.

John Savard